Gibbs arrested for drink-driving

dude119

Gibbs arrested for drink-driving

South African opening batsman Herschelle Gibbs was arrested in the early hours of Friday morning for drink-driving in Cape Town.

A police spokesman said that a 34-year-old man had been arrested after failing a breathalyzer, adding "we are not at liberty to implicate people by name until they have appeared in a court of law."

However, Peter Whelan, Gibbs' lawyer, admitted that his client was involved. "He was pulled over and breathalysed, but the police have yet to tell me what charge he was arrested on," he said, adding that Gibbs was released on bail of R500 (US$63) on Friday morning. He is due to appear in court on June 27.

From Cricinfo

Not good. I hope it wasnt any serious charge. Perhaps he didn't take the news of being dropped from the team very well. :p
Why was he dropped though? Since Gibbs is coloured they could have accomodated Nel in the team if he was in the squad. That way all the controversy could have easily been avoided or am I missing something.

Re: Gibbs arrested for drink-driving

He dropped simply because he hasn't been performing in recent matches (probably stretching back for a year or more).

Not the sharpest knife in the box by all accounts but he should have had more common sense than to drink drive.

I hope it doesn't put his IPL participation in jeopardy.

He hasnt done well in the past year but he has hardly played any Tests and he has been in very good form in ODI cricket. On the flat pitches of India it is more than likely that he would have returned to form.

To be honest if he is guilty of drink driving then I hope it does put his IPL future in jeopardy - there should be no excuses and no exceptions - he is a role model and shouldn't be seen to be rewarded for behaviour that could put an innocent bystanders life at risk - if he wants a drink get a cab! (IMHO!)

He has a bad history so this will only damage his reputation. He is scheduled to appear in court in June so I think he would be able to play in IPL of course if the court has cleared him to travel abroad.

Bashypack said:
To be honest if he is guilty of drink driving then I hope it does put his IPL future in jeopardy - there should be no excuses and no exceptions - he is a role model and shouldn't be seen to be rewarded for behaviour that could put an innocent bystanders life at risk - if he wants a drink get a cab! (IMHO!)
Yeah I mean he should be rightfully punished. But since hes one of the bigger stars I was hoping we would get to see him bat.

Back