Gibson leaves England to take over the West Indies

mas cambios

Gibson leaves England to take over the West Indies

Reports have been rife in recent weeks and look to be on the money as Gibson has reportedly quit his England role. He'll be taking on the job of West Indies coach.

England have once again failed to retain a decent bowling coach (Cooley was the first to leave) who had a positive effect on the side. He seemed to work well with Flower and fitted in with the team in general.

Not sure who will replace him but I can't see England getting anyone quite as good, at least not for the time being.

Re: Gibson leaves England to take over the West Indies

Very smart move from the West Indies and Gibson.

He seems quite switched on and with the young talent that is coming through the bowling ranks (Roach and co) he should be able to get the best out of them and improve them into top quality young cricketers.

Needs some good assistants though to ensure that he doesn't let the batting slip.

I agree, shame to see him go, but a stronger west indies is good for cricket on the whole.

As for a replacement for the ECB, is anything to be said for getting Gough in? Brilliant at reverse swing, and a very intelligent cricketer, someone who can see the strenghts of our bowlers, and where theyre going wrong.

Pretty strong candidate. And he played with Flower at Essex for a few years im sure

It seems that Allan Donald is a front runner for the vacancy. Saw it on Skysports and on various other news sources. I do think that Gibson has left a massive legacy i.e. Broad and Andersons' performances and I think that who ever gets the nod is going to be compared to Gibson for a lengthy time period.

Mas Cambios is there anyone else being mentioned as a possible candidate?

well having someone of the stature of allan donald can never be a bad thing.
I dont think gibson left a legacy as such. the pace bowlers didnt exactly set the world on fire - broad got a few five-fors, but they usually came when swann bagged a big haul too. Andersons always been capable of great things, just not consistantly. I would say he's got them all bowling reverse swwing quite often and quite early which is a great advantage on flat pitches, but i shouldnt think that Gibsons successor will be any extra pressure because of what the former achieved

hattrick;387297 said:
Mas Cambios is there anyone else being mentioned as a possible candidate?

No-one that I've heard of. I'd be in favour of Donald getting the nod. If he's keen then I see no reason not to sign him up asap.

hattrick;387297 said:
Is there anyone else being mentioned as a possible candidate?

Cricinfo lists a few potention candidates

Donald
Pollock - would be incredible to get him, his line and length style is what broad SHOULD be bowling. if he can impart that skill we could have a genuine and consistant world class seamer in him
Kevin Shine - previous one (was on 06/07 Ashes)
my choice - Gough - :D
Phil de Freitas - doesnt look too bad - 100+ test wickets, 1000+ first class, pretty seasoned Phil DeFreitas | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
and SA's current bowling coach

The article's here : ECB begin search for bowling coach | England Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

my choice, in order would be Pollock, Gough, Donald and then the rest

I would go:

Donald - has worked with the team before. Knows the score, is widely respected and had positive results during his temporary time in the role.

Pollock - has the right background but is untested.

DeFreitas - interesting choice and an outside bet. No real feelings either way.

Gough - has to be a no. Big heart but never struck me as someone you'd want to be coached by. This feeling is increased every time I hear him on talksport radio in the UK.

Shine - please, no, anyone but Shine. Great at lower levels but that's it.

Outsiders - Ian Pont! He talks a good game and it would be interesting to see his methods tested at international level. Has/d links with Essex so would or should be known to Flower.

Angus Fraser - in charge at Middlesex and can't see him giving that up. Not sure of his credentials but he is an intelligent observer of the game.

Andy Caddick - probably like Gough, not an obvious coach. Has maybe distanced himself from a role with England (at least for now) due to some comments made in recent times.

just heard talk of lawson and kasprowicz were thrown into the mix. any opinions? Dont think Kasper has a chance, lawson maybe but compared to donald i doubt it

oh and mas, i saw you said pollock was untested but if i remember right, he had a spell with the mumbai indians. Its not quite the same as international, but its something. Its jst and opinion bt i feel that his vast experience will be of great benefit, most of all to broad who really should be aiming to be the sort of player that pollock was.

mas cambios;387322 said:
I would go:

Donald - has worked with the team before. Knows the score, is widely respected and had positive results during his temporary time in the role.
Donald would have to be the pick of the bunch plenty of experience and would have the respect of the players.

mas cambios;387322 said:
Pollock - has the right background but is untested.
Tactical genius if only he had more coaching experience.

mas cambios;387322 said:
DeFreitas - interesting choice and an outside bet. No real feelings either way.
Dont thik he would have a chance, not very well liked around the circuit as a player let alone as a coach.

mas cambios;387322 said:
Gough - has to be a no. Big heart but never struck me as someone you'd want to be coached by. This feeling is increased every time I hear him on talksport radio in the UK.
Would be an inspirational choice but you would have to say doesnt have any real coaching experience but that aside would be my 2nd choice, players would warm to him.

mas cambios;387322 said:
Shine - please, no, anyone but Shine. Great at lower levels but that's it.
Keep him where he is working with the younger blokes would not command the respect from the playing group as was evident the last time he was tried.

mas cambios;387322 said:
Outsiders - Ian Pont! He talks a good game and it would be interesting to see his methods tested at international level. Has/d links with Essex so would or should be known to Flower.
one from left field he is not lacking confidence but again the players respect thing would be my concern but does have extensive coaching background with great ideas and would look to try new things !!

mas cambios;387322 said:
Angus Fraser - in charge at Middlesex and can't see him giving that up. Not sure of his credentials but he is an intelligent observer of the game.
Far to negative should not be considered.

mas cambios;387322 said:
Andy Caddick - probably like Gough, not an obvious coach. Has maybe distanced himself from a role with England (at least for now) due to some comments made in recent times.

Great bowler but no coaching background to speak of.

TeeJay1860;387554 said:
just heard talk of lawson and kasprowicz were thrown into the mix. any opinions? Dont think Kasper has a chance, lawson maybe but compared to donald i doubt it

oh and mas, i saw you said pollock was untested but if i remember right, he had a spell with the mumbai indians. Its not quite the same as international, but its something. Its jst and opinion bt i feel that his vast experience will be of great benefit, most of all to broad who really should be aiming to be the sort of player that pollock was.

Not keen on either Lawson or Kasper. Lawson strikes me as old school. Don't know enough about Kasper to make an informed decision to be honest.

Pollock is an outside bet and I'm not against him. Just think he needs a role coaching somewhere for a time (other than an IPL team). I want to see him work with a team over all formats of the game and a range of players - remember it's not just Broad he has to coach but the likes of Anderson, Flintoff, Onions, Sidebottom, Swann (although there would be others helping out in the spin department) and so on.

Donald has at least coached England briefly and has had time with a county, working a full season or two. Even Gibson had spent time coaching on the circuit and at Durham before making the step up.

Kasprowicz would be an odd choice, and not a good one I think. Plainly put, I never really rated him that much as a Test bowler.

He was certainly effective to an extent, being a very handy change bowler during his time. But his advantage was mainly his consistency of pace and unerring accuracy, not any prodigious talent in terms of making the ball talk. I don't really think he has much to teach England's fast men.

Back