Good Cricket Reads (Books not the keeper)

Mr-Cricket

Good Cricket Reads (Books not the keeper)

Can anyone recommend some good cricket books for me? I've just read the autobiography by Flintoff and found it a reasonable read but I want something with a bit more spice.

Doesn't have to be autobiographical, just a darn good cricketing read.

Re: Good Cricket Reads (Books not the keeper)

If you want some good toilet material then 'My Spin on Cricket' by Ritchie B, is well worth a look,.

Penguins stop play is a pretty funny read as is Zimmer Man - check them out!

I can back up what Stan has said, all good books.

Steve Waugh's books is a good read and you may want to take a peak at the new one from Duncan Fletcher, could be juicy!

A Lot of Hard Yakka by Simon Hughes is a superb insight into the county scene and how pros think.

On and Off the Field by Ed Smith is also good in this area.

Harrowdrive said:
A Lot of Hard Yakka by Simon Hughes is a superb insight into the county scene and how pros think.

That's the one I was trying to remember, as you say it's a great insight into the the county scene.

Had the The Sledger's Handbook bought for me last xmas, well worth a read, some cracking lines in there.

I have the Richie Benaud one, but got bored half way through, talks about his game 50 years ago, which i love to read about, but 150 pages of it, bit tedious. Good read by all accounts from a legend!!!

How can you reccomend it as a good read, if you got bored of it half way through? Doesn't sound that good too me.

It is very interesting, but i've got a short attention span so i get easily bored if the subject doesnt change quick. It is a good read because any advice that Benaud good is a good solid start for any cricketer, i mean, he was a great player, i'll probably start to read it again after i've read this months Spin, Wisden and All Out Cricket.

Dennis Lillee's 'Menace' is pretty good. He also wrote 'The Art of Fast Bowling', which is a great instructional book.

I hear that fatty something book is supposed to be a really good read. Anyone read it?

I own Kevin Pietersen's autobiography, and thats a really good read, highlights his struggles with the quota system in South Africa, and then goes into detail about his movement onto the international scene, and some of the things he had to put up with at Notts, such as Jason Gallian, the supposed leader of the team throwing KP's equipment off the trent bridge balcony. KP's write up on his marvelous 158 in the 5th Ashes test is also in there, really good read, should be able to pick it up cheap aswell.

Simbazz said:
I have the Richie Benaud one, but got bored half way through, talks about his game 50 years ago, which i love to read about, but 150 pages of it, bit tedious. Good read by all accounts from a legend!!!

Yep, I found it too boring to read.

Punter's books are great. So are Tuggas.

Definitely "Out of my comfort Zone" by Steve Waugh. Quite a bit to read though but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm busy reading it for the 4th time already. Highlights his initial struggles as an international cricketer and what he had to do in order to make it at international level. Some useful pointers for batsmen in there. The book also definitely shows another side to him as a person.

And isn't it great to know that even 'the best' have had to overcome difficulties? Not just technical but psychological, interpersonal, tactical and physical.

Sometimes, watching the Maestros at work, we can be fooled that, as they make it look so easy, it must be, so perhaps we are just not good enough.

The truth is, if we are prepared to work at it, it can be there for us too :D

ShaneS said:
Definitely "Out of my comfort Zone" by Steve Waugh. Quite a bit to read though but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm busy reading it for the 4th time already. Highlights his initial struggles as an international cricketer and what he had to do in order to make it at international level. Some useful pointers for batsmen in there. The book also definitely shows another side to him as a person.
I completely endorse your recommendation.I had hunted the book during the early release and have read it too.Fantastic book and good for any budding cricketer.Steve Waugh is my hero and a legend.
How he overcame his difficulties and struggles is worth reading
:) :thumbup:

i loved that book, but the fact that he is so damned modest that really bugs me :p
An interesting read is Cricket-The making of champions by Greg Chappell. its a interesting way of thinking he has about cricket, worth a look in to

Back