Googly Syndrome

I'd always maintain that bowling the wrong un once mastered is so much easier than bowling a leg break, the action flows once you've got it sussed, it's the delivery that best approximates the action of a whip cracking, everything just winds up and then releases in a smooth whiplash. No wonder your body and brain wants to embed the muscle memory and replace the leg break action!

Macca,
If nothing else works, ask him to bowl more round arm - exaggerate that effect of round arm bowling by bowling with arm almost at 9'o clock. Having gone through it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone

I think I may have something like this but I just accidentally bowl googlys when I haven't even attempted to bowl them.

1. Stop bowling any variations especially wrong uns and Top-Spinners.
2. Aim to only bowl Leg Breaks until you've got your leg break back.
3. Bowl With the hand in what feels like a karate chop action - where your palm of your hand feels like it's pointed towards somewhere between extra cover and point.
4. Don't have the palm facing the batsman - twist the wrist round.

Have a go at that and report back.

Thanks for that. Its starting to improve

I got it and bowled Googlies for more than a year. It took 6 months to get something that looked like a leg break back and more or less 2 years e.g. in the last few months to be able to bowl with the wrist cocked properly and get the ball dipping and drifting. The key thing is - don't bowl googlies or Top Spinners, just Leg Breaks.

1. Stop bowling any variations especially wrong uns and Top-Spinners.
2. Aim to only bowl Leg Breaks until you've got your leg break back.
3. Bowl With the hand in what feels like a karate chop action - where your palm of your hand feels like it's pointed towards somewhere between extra cover and point.
4. Don't have the palm facing the batsman - twist the wrist round.

Have a go at that and report back.
I'm here due to the same reason. I used to be very good at leg break and googly but samething happened and I lost my leg break. I am trying to understand how to bowl the karate chop action but can't understand. I watched the video too but still not sure how to bowl. I even tried last night (at least the way I understood) it was very hard to bowl and secondly it was kindda coming back towards me. For example, if the karate chop portion of my hand is facing the batsman and I'm moving my fingers the the leg break direction, the bowl was coming back towards me. Or may be not going anywhere.

I am very furstrated and want to understand how to bowl this karate chop action. Could somebody explain pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Thx,

I'm here due to the same reason. I used to be very good at leg break and googly but samething happened and I lost my leg break. I am trying to understand how to bowl the karate chop action but can't understand. I watched the video too but still not sure how to bowl. I even tried last night (at least the way I understood) it was very hard to bowl and secondly it was kindda coming back towards me. For example, if the karate chop portion of my hand is facing the batsman and I'm moving my fingers the the leg break direction, the bowl was coming back towards me. Or may be not going anywhere.

I am very furstrated and want to understand how to bowl this karate chop action. Could somebody explain pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Thx,

Yeah you are trying to bowl backspinner and it is a bit like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time, or whatever that thing is that is hard to do. But it is a good way to break a googly syndrome.

It takes a bit of practise but once you get it it is a very useful ball, the backspinner. If it comes out wrong you usually jag a big slowish legbreak so it is a good variation.

To get away from wrongun try up against a wall fairly close and just arm and wrist action concentrate on hand position at release. Karate chop will give a backspinner and drop down off the wall. Finish with a hand held up as if to stop traffic should spin to your left off the wall and catch with left hand. Thats the legbreak.

I would suggest not doing the wrongun off the wall for a while until you get your legbreak back but be aware you can spin the ball to the right off the wall with the back of your hand ending up facing the wall.

Your Googly syndrome doesn't sound too bad if you're getting a backspinner with the Karate Chop approach. In which case don't bother with the karate chop at all. Depending on how bad you've got GS (Googly Syndrome) it may be weeks or months before you can correct it, but the most important thing is to stop Bowling Googlies and Top-Spinners and just focus on bowling the Leg Break. Try Macca's approach, that's going to help. My issue was that I'd bowled the Googly so much that in effect I'd completely re-wired my brain as such and the connection with what my brain thinks is happening and what actually occurs dont relate. This weekend I was bowling against a kid I coach who's a good batsman and a wrist spinner and he was watching the ball come out of my hand and it seems at the point of release there's at least 45 degree discrepiancy between what I think I'm doing and what actually happens, so for me when I'm thinking "Bowl a back-spinner delivery" (Karate Chop) I actually produce a side spinning leg break. A lot of people have the same issue and the adoption of the Karate chop works for them.

What I would suggest is focussing on where your wrist is as you bowl and this relates to Maccas 'Traffic' description. As you bowl think in terms of where your under-side of your wrist is facing (The veiny bit) think about this coming over and facing the batsman - don't think about the hand itself - just the under-side of the wrist. See how that works?

Yeah you are trying to bowl backspinner and it is a bit like rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time, or whatever that thing is that is hard to do. But it is a good way to break a googly syndrome.

It takes a bit of practise but once you get it it is a very useful ball, the backspinner. If it comes out wrong you usually jag a big slowish legbreak so it is a good variation.

To get away from wrongun try up against a wall fairly close and just arm and wrist action concentrate on hand position at release. Karate chop will give a backspinner and drop down off the wall. Finish with a hand held up as if to stop traffic should spin to your left off the wall and catch with left hand. Thats the legbreak.

I would suggest not doing the wrongun off the wall for a while until you get your legbreak back but be aware you can spin the ball to the right off the wall with the back of your hand ending up facing the wall.
Thanks for the clarification Macca. I will try.

Back