Group C - England v Canada

C

cleazer

Group C - England v Canada

Both teams opened with a loss, and England will want to get back on track and pick up a win here to keep the Super Eights in sight. After the awesome results of Saturday, you'd think big teams will be much more cautious facing the little teams, but England may have other things on their minds:

Flintoff fined after drunken boating incident
Several of England's players at the World Cup were fined for a "breach of team discipline" on Saturday and Andrew Flintoff reportedly had to be rescued after a late-night boating mishap.

The players were, a source said, fined for a late night drinking session at the Rumours Nightclub near England's team hotel in St Lucia. They had been out late ahead of their second Group clash against Canada on Sunday - a match England must win if they are to qualify for the Super Eights.
Is this a team focused on the task at hand? Or is this a team primed for an upset?

Honestly, if the Bangladesh and Ireland wins wouldn't have happened, England might have their guard down, as it's quite obvious that the World Cup isn't their only focus while they're down in St Lucia.

But thanks to the eye-opening results of Saturday, you have to think that England will be mentally prepared to do what it takes to win.

Then again, it is England we're talking about.

Re: Group C - England v Canada

What a disgrace, to themselves and their country. Just hope they've sobered up enough to play. This may a be a good opportunity for Canada to take advantage. Who knows, we may have another upset, i'm sure Canada is thinking, "if Ireland can do it, so can we". Let's see how this plays out

Flintoff has been omitted from the team for today's match.

England 1 Ed Joyce, 2 Michael Vaughan (capt), 3 Ian Bell, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Ravi Bopara, 7 Jamie Dalrymple, 8 Paul Nixon (wk), 9 Liam Plunkett, 10 James Anderson, 11 Monty Panesar.

Canada 1 Geoff Barnett, 2 Abdool Samad, 3 Ashish Bagai (wk), 4 Ian Billcliff, 5 John Davison (capt), 6 Desmond Chumney, 7 Ashif Mulla, 8 Sunil Dhaniram, 9 George Codrington, 10 Umar Bhatti, 11 Anderson Cummins.

Canada won the toss and chose to bowl first.
They're obviously hoping for a similar performance to the two teams that chased yesterday.

Cummins having a bad day so far.
5 wides and 2 no balls in the first 3 overs.

England 59-0 after 11.

Joyce has scored 23 so far, much better than his duck in the first match.

England 85-0 after 18

Just curious: is anyone else experiencing about a 3 second delay between the video and the audio for this match? I see someone hit the ball, and a few seconds later, I finally hear the sound of the bat. Is that just Dish Network here in the US, or is that the feed going out worldwide?

cleazer;145548 said:
England 85-0 after 18

Just curious: is anyone else experiencing about a 3 second delay between the video and the audio for this match? I see someone hit the ball, and a few seconds later, I finally hear the sound of the bat. Is that just Dish Network here in the US, or is that the feed going out worldwide?

Can't help you there Cleazer, i'm not watching this one live, However I'm using cricinfo's 3D live animation of the game, no sound though, but it's the same as the live game.

England finished off with 279 for six in their 50 over spelll.
Canada is now 8/1 after 2.5 overs. Not looking good for Canada so far. However they did manage to keep England under 300 runs.

22/2 after 5 overs. A. Bagai just lost his wicket

34-2 after 7

Let's see if eother Davison or Billcliff can stick around for a bit today. I have a good feeling one of them will make a useful contribution.

yeah, like to see a good partnership from these two

Canada have reached 100.

They're 105-4 after 25.

The required rate to win is about 7 an over. That's just going to be too much for them. If they were chasing 200 instead of 280, they might have a chance to slow down and sneak in there, but there's no way they'll be able to keep up the pace required to get 280.

Canada 132-4 after 30

Good partnership here from Samad and Mulla. Mulla has been swinging for runs, and Samad has been keeping them steady. They've added 67 runs so far, by far Canada's best of the day.

With 20 more overs, and wickets in hand, they may get very close to Englands target, I don't think they will surpass it, but you never know.

Mulla gets his half century, he's up to 51

That's his first ODI half century

Canada 151-4 after 33 overs. The required rate is well over 7, but they're accounting for themselves well out there.

Mulla stumped for 58

Canada 161-5

He gave a good effort today. If one or two batsmen further up the order could have contributed, Canada might have had a better chance than the slim one they are left with now.

And now Samad is gone in the very next over, out for 36

Canada 161-6, and this match is now safely in England's column.
Great partnership from Mulla and Samad though. They were surely starting to worry the English.

Back