Group D: West Indies vs Ireland

Re: Group D: West Indies vs Ireland

marlyminks;147338 said:
I'll leave that up to you :)
By the way how is it D/L calculated? I honestly don't know :eek:
eek!

i know there is a chart of sorts to use, but i have no clue how it works.

i'm not so good with numbers

Ireland only bat 48 overs.

They finish 183-8

We'll see what West Indies target will be in a few minutes. I suppose it'll be something like 190 from 48 overs.

I am a great guesser!
West Indies' target is exactly 190 from 48 overs.

"So off they all go again. And now comes the bit which I will under no circumstances try to explain. West Indies will chase 190 off 48 overs. Yes, I know Ireland only got 183 for 8. All Questions to Messrs Duckworth and Lewis. Warming to the task of producing unexplainable numbers,"

Here's the quote the comentator on cricinfo site refered to D/L

Sounds like this D/L calculation is complicated.

If anyone knows how to calculate it, would you mind sharing it with me please, I just want to know for my benefit. You could PM me. Thanking you in advance :)

I have a (basic) understanding of it, but I'm busy scoring on CricketEurope presently. I can explain later.

Thanks Wil, when you get around to it. I appreciate it.

windies are now 63/1

Chanderpaul having a superb game!
He's up to 84,
and West Indies are 137-1 after 27.

They need 54 runs from 21 overs. That's about two and a half per over.

147/2 after 28.5 overs. Looks like the Windies are going to take this one. A good effort on the part of Irleand though.

If the Windies win this match does that means Ireland do not advance?

marlyminks;147375 said:
If the Windies win this match does that means Ireland do not advance?
No, both teams were assured of advancing a few days ago.

Great finish from Samuels and Chanderpaul.

West Indies win by 8 wickets, 190-2

I could tey to explain Duckworth-Lewis to you, but it's probably easier for you to just read about it here on Wikipedia.

The basic theory is that you have two resources available to you when batting in a one-day match - overs and wickets. Using data from many (posibly all?) ODIs played, these mathmeticians figured out exactly what percentage of your resources these each consist of. For example, if you 40 overs and 10 wickets left, you will have a much higher potential to score than if you have 40 overs and 2 wickets left.

When a game loses time to rain, they use this system to calculate what the team would have scored over 50 overs. Then, if need be, they scale it to the number of overs the second team will have to bat.

It's a little confusing on the surface, but the concepts are really reasonably simple. I find it irritating when commentators speak of it like an unapproachable magical theory.

Wilbix;147451 said:
I could tey to explain Duckworth-Lewis to you, but it's probably easier for you to just read about it here on Wikipedia.

The basic theory is that you have two resources available to you when batting in a one-day match - overs and wickets. Using data from many (posibly all?) ODIs played, these mathmeticians figured out exactly what percentage of your resources these each consist of. For example, if you 40 overs and 10 wickets left, you will have a much higher potential to score than if you have 40 overs and 2 wickets left.

When a game loses time to rain, they use this system to calculate what the team would have scored over 50 overs. Then, if need be, they scale it to the number of overs the second team will have to bat.

It's a little confusing on the surface, but the concepts are really reasonably simple. I find it irritating when commentators speak of it like an unapproachable magical theory.

Thanks Will, I have at look at the link you provided.

Back