Groups for 2011 Cricket World Cup Announced

mas cambios

Groups for 2011 Cricket World Cup Announced

Cricket World Cup groups:

Group A: Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Canada, Kenya

Group B: India, South Africa, England, West Indies, Bangladesh, Ireland, Netherlands

Interesting groups, can't see any candidate for the usual shocks though.

Re: Groups for 2011 Cricket World Cup Announced

Six group games, you've got to be kidding me. Did the ICC not learn from the farce that dragged on for six weeks in 2007?

I just saw this and can only shake my head. It seems the ICC have not learnt a thing after the farce of a tournament in the Caribbean. How long is this going to be? 8 weeks or what ?

6 group games, should the sides that not played in pre tournament competition and play for 4 places . The 6 nations(Zimbabwe, Canada, Kenya,Bangladesh, Ireland, Netherlands) should have been competing for 4 places and then the other nations join them and have 4 groups of three.

I apologise if this presumptuous but this a joke.. the World Cup should be an event that we all look forward to and not a long drawn out marketing event.

ICC reveals new shortened format for 2011 World Cup | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Light bulb moment of the day - the tournament is going to have 49 games..

Should be something like this,

Group A: 1, 4, 7, 10
Group B: 2, 5, 8, 11
Group C: 3, 6, 9, 12

Everyone plays each other once, and teams have games three days apart. That would take no longer than two weeks to complete. From there you could have a Super Six stage and then Semi-Finals and then the Grand Final.

Alternatively, you could have a Quarter-Final, Semi-Final and Grand Final process with perhaps an extra group of four teams (i.e team 4 would be the top seeded team in Group D).

ICC have proven themselves to be stupid once again.

I don't see what you're all moaning about! They've cut two games of the schedule and may (although this is not a given) be able to reduce the length of the tournament by a week!

You would have thought that the recent champions trophy in South Africa would have given them a clue on how to run things. We don't want 5/6 weeks for a world cup - 4 at most.

By the time it finally reaches Australia they will probably have cut it to a knockout tournament :rolleyes:

I like a long tournament

The top 4 will move through from the first group without any trouble

England, India and South Africa are all in danger of missing the quarters given their records and the fact that group has the 3 strongest minnows, very strange groupings in that regard

For those complaining about the larger groups it was designed so the minnows get some decent exposure on the world stage and are guaranteed 6 games then they move onto Quarters, Semis and the Final. So a longer group stage and they eliminate the Super 8's, its a good move imo

4 days for the Quarters, then the 2 semi finals and the final 2 days later, so about a week or so for the final stage of the tournament

Hopefully they dont put too many games on the same day, always sucks when you cant see a game you want to see because the broadcaster down here chooses the other game or when the Aussies play the 2 channels probably both show it :rolleyes:

eddiesmith;369329 said:
By the time it finally reaches Australia they will probably have cut it to a knockout tournament :rolleyes:

I like a long tournament

The top 4 will move through from the first group without any trouble

England, India and South Africa are all in danger of missing the quarters given their records and the fact that group has the 3 strongest minnows, very strange groupings in that regard

For those complaining about the larger groups it was designed so the minnows get some decent exposure on the world stage and are guaranteed 6 games then they move onto Quarters, Semis and the Final. So a longer group stage and they eliminate the Super 8's, its a good move imo

4 days for the Quarters, then the 2 semi finals and the final 2 days later, so about a week or so for the final stage of the tournament

Hopefully they dont put too many games on the same day, always sucks when you cant see a game you want to see because the broadcaster down here chooses the other game or when the Aussies play the 2 channels probably both show it :rolleyes:

I agree with eddie here. I like the exposure that the minnows get as I like watching them play.

It's a World Cup, as many teams as possible should be allowed to play. I had nothing wrong with the 2007 one, the length was fine. The more games the merrier it is, as it means more cricket for me to watch and enjoy. How could you complain with that?

The groupings are a bit strange this time round. Group A looks a lot easier. Looks as if it is clear cut who will progress from that group without any real upsets.

Australia will win this again!

South Africa are the biggest chokers, India are lazy and the rest simply not consistent or talented enough.

eddiesmith;369329 said:

It's practically is now that they are going back to quarter finals, remember the sh##house 1996 world cup in the sub continent? The group stage will be almost like practice matches until the knock-out phase when the minnows are inevitably out.

There is only one reason for the ICC doing this and it's for $$$ - they don't want to hosts to choke and get knocked out early like in 2007.

Back