Hamstring Muscles

Hi Virender,

If you have stiffness in the lower back every morning, check you do not need to renew your mattress. As long as you remember a good warm up and stretch your back when you wake up by touching your toes a few times, morning exercises should be good.

After exercise, I would have a warm shower. A hot shower will dehydrate you and a cold shower in the winter is just sadistic ;).

If you have just run a double marathon or played rugby against the Army, we might talk about ice baths and contrasts but after a gym session, warm baths/showers are good :).

Hello Liz,

Yesterday my gym instructor has planned a new exercise schedule for me as follows:
Monday-- Rest Day.
Tuesday-- Chest.--- 3- 5Types of Exercises..
Wednesday-- Biceps-- 3-4 Types of Exercises..
Thursday-- Triceps-- 3-4 Types of Exercises..
Friday-- Back-- 3 Types of Exercises..
Saturday-- Legs-- 3-5 Types of
Sunday-- Shoulder-- 5 Types of Exercises.
All the exercises will be with weights.
The reason he states that having one body part on the day will be beneficial for muslce growth.
Secondly; he does not want me to stress my body with exercises for more than part of the body..

please advice.

I will also note the type of exercises he has planned for each body part and share with you.

Regards,
Virender

I am not adverse to training muscle groups, as long as the exercises are functional and there is progresssion and overload. You do need to remind your PT that you are not interested in bodybuilding but sport specific training.

I am a little concerned though that there is no cardiovascular work included in the programme.

Hello Liz,
the Schedule starts with 10mins of cardio with walk-run-walk and exercise of body parts as mentioned in the above mentioned post.After the body part exercise warp up with stomach exercise...i.e. stomach crunch and leg raise.
Adding further; each of the exercise has a pattern of 10reps and 3-5 sets depending on the strenght capacity.
At the moment the focus is on each body part and i will observe for 4-8 weeks and accordingly add the reps capacity or change some exercises.
Please advice.

Regards,
Virender

I don't understand this Virender. Why only 15 mins?

If the gym has a rowing machine, you can use both for 15 mins each.

I don't understand this Virender. Why only 15 mins?

If the gym has a rowing machine, you can use both for 15 mins each.

Hello Liz,

The gym has two treadmills and one cycler..but that is non-functional..so far i am managing with 15 mins of cardio workout on the treadmill as other members have to use it...

Hello Liz,

I have started to exprience stiffness in my left knee; this was one of my old injury..
do u think it is a case of re-occurance.

This happened as i was batting in the nets...i batted for around 25 mins..

I have done the hot water bag on the pain area and compression with the thigh support strap.

Also hamstring has stiffness whenever i am doing the hamstring curls exercise..

Please advice...

Virender

Hello Liz,

There is pain in the left pain after practising and the pain for few hours...at time i feel like to just sit and not move..

I have missed my gym session for last one week...

Is hot water or cold water treatment...which is beneficial??

Virender

Hi Virender,

Happy New Year!

When the knee causes you discomfort, you should stop straight away and ice it. If there is a little inflammation, heat will make it much worse. You need to rest until the knee is better. I suspect your bowling action may be an issue so just bat for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks Liz,

Now the knee has healed for better..

I had gone for a team outing in out location and did a lot of adventure activites inculding trekking for 1 hour.

The knee was not feeling any pain of jerking..it was a good exprience..

Virender

hello liz,

on 10th Jan'11; I had a minor accident and slipped with my bike resulting in bruise on right knee,swollen right hand palm and right shoulder with pain...
Till date i have not yet recovered and dressing on the knee is been replaced every day...
Doctor said this week will be required for complete recovery...from last week and earlier few days i was not able to attend gym and net sessions..

2011 has started on a disappointing note.

Virender

hello liz,

on 10th Jan'11; I had a minor accident and slipped with my bike resulting in bruise on right knee,swollen right hand palm and right shoulder with pain...
Till date i have not yet recovered and dressing on the knee is been replaced every day...
Doctor said this week will be required for complete recovery...from last week and earlier few days i was not able to attend gym and net sessions..

2011 has started on a disappointing note.

Virender

Hello

Hello Liz,

I have also started Massage sessions for my body from last week.

I am planning to have body massage every sunday....

What is your advice--- is once in a week or once in two weeks...better for body massage...

Also my back and legs are not paining and i am playing matches more confidently.

Warm Regards,
Virender

Hi Virender,

I am so sorry to hear about your accident with the bike. This message totally slipped by me; I find it a bit difficult to keep up with messages on this new system
frown.png
. I hope you are fully recovered from it.

Great news that you are not feeling any pain in the back and legs... it sounds really hopeful.

As for massage, it really depends on the type of massage. Although all massage is beneficial, they are beneficial in different ways. Swedish massage is a 'well being' treatment and could be taken any time, as often as you like. However, a sports/remedial massage will be more beneficial for the sportsman but you need to be careful when you have one. The professional rugby players have one every week but never before a match. If I am working with somebody preparing for tournaments, they have one every week but not four days before the event, e.g. marathon, iron man etc.

If you have no issues to work through, once a fortnight should be good during the season; once a month out of season.

Take Care
Liz

Hello Liz,

thanks for the info.

At the moment i will have massage every alternate sunday...as monday is rest day...
then later on increase the frequency to every week.

But unfortunately i pulled my hamstring last saturday while travelling home from cricket ground...so for precautionary basis took rest for couple of days...

Virender

Back