Hand-to-eye Coordination drills

kallis fan

Hand-to-eye Coordination drills

.......for young players.....as in below the age of 11.

Ideally they will be enjoyable as well as being able to incorporate a competitive edge to them at some point....

Hopefully the people 'in the know' will help me out a little. ;)

Re: Hand-to-eye Coordination drills

One simple one is to get them to bounce a (tennis) ball on a cricket bat. For the competitiveness, split the group into 2 and then see who can get all team members to do 10 bounces first.

That's a very simple one though.

http://www.harrowdrive.com/5-ways-to-improve-your-cricket-hand-eye-coordination/

That's one place to look as well, although not sure how much it'll help you.

You can also do the passing a tennis ball drill. Again, split the kids up and they have to pass the ball down the line as quickly as possible by throwing it to each other. Set them up a few metres apart. If they fail to catch it the ball has to go back one place in the line.

You can also do simple things like getting them to hold the ball, then throwing it in the air and having to clap before catching it.

Yeah, I'll dig some out and post it up.

Have you got any reaction balls? They can be a great way of developing hand\eye co-ordination.

One thing that we used to do is to work as a pair and then using one hand throw a ball to the other who must catch it with the opposite hand. They then throw it back, to the other person who must catch it in the opposite hand to the one they first threw with.

So it would go:

Person 1: Left (throw)

Person 2: Right (Catch)

Person 2: Right (Throw)

Person 1: Right (Catch)

Person 1: Right (Throw)

Person 2: Left (Catch) etc

You can also do it with teams when the person catching has to catch it in the same hand as the person throwing it. The person throwing can use either hand. Make them do circuits, first to finsh wins. If they catch with the wrong hand then it's a forfeit etc.

Games?

Split the guys into two teams; it does not matter how many.

Separate the teams (depending on their age) about 18 to 20 metres apart, each team lined up behind a line that they must not cross.

Put a foam ball/soccer ball in the centre.

Each team has a number of tennis balls; it does not matter how many.

At random each team must throw the tennis ball at the foam ball/soccer ball with the aim of sending it over the opponents line.

Remember, the guys cannot cross over their line but they can reuse any tennis ball that lands over their line.

OK, better balance out the throwing with catching:

Line the guys up about 3 metres in front of a wall.

The first guy throws a tennis ball/reactor ball on the ground in front of the wall so that it ricochets off the wall and into the air.

The first guy then runs to the back of the line.

The second guy must catch the ball and repeat.

To progress, you can get the guys to run a certain marked distance away from the wall, returning to catch the ball. The guys will be continually moving.

Thanks all.

It seems I may be 'elping out with one of the lower age groups next season - hence the question!!

;)

I think I have a bit to pass on..... ;)

Hand-eye coordination is key.....particular as a player who has pretty good coordination by all accounts.

At that age it is all about enjoyment.

Something I will emphasise is that what will be taken from sessions is what is wanted from sessions.

If players want to play purely from the enjoyment angle, fine. But, if there are those that have a serious passion for the game and have intentions on becoming capable cricketers, then I will try and instill the fact that every session should be given 100% - the work starts now. Doing the basics right at an early age stands players in good stead to fine tune aspects of their game as they get older, but have a good foundation on which to build.

This is definitely something I can relate to, and, in all honesty, regret not doing.....

kallis fan said:
At that age it is all about enjoyment.

Something I will emphasise is that what will be taken from sessions is what is wanted from sessions.

If players want to play purely from the enjoyment angle, fine. But, if there are those that have a serious passion for the game and have intentions on becoming capable cricketers, then I will try and instill the fact that every session should be given 100% - the work starts now. Doing the basics right at an early age stands players in good stead to fine tune aspects of their game as they get older, but have a good foundation on which to build.

This is definitely something I can relate to, and, in all honesty, regret not doing.....

Sounds like you have the makings of a decent coach. Have you seen the latest article at Harrowdrive? Might be worth a quick read - http://www.harrowdrive.com/7-things-club-coaches-don’t-teach-but-should-do/

Back