HDCA Cricket Chat 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats going on with the bergers? Team of unknowns played on the weekend surely it's too late in the season to be changing the teams around this drastically, east could knock them off this week, as well as that west can topple the burra, and I think sannas will chase the runs down. The bears should be rapt that some kids are performing, good signs for the future

Just had a look at the team that played on Saturday, and besides Favrin and Walker is anyone else missing? Favrin has little kids, so first presumption must be that he had other committments, whilst Walker is out for the season after injuring himself at work. Well done to EI on showing a bit of backbone though.

With two experienced players at the crease, I think Edinburgh should be ok against West, but if they manage to take an early wicket then the blood pressure will rise a bit for the Burra.

Anything over 200 is tough to chase, but if you're chasing anywhere, then Cotchin is the place to do it. Will be a terrific test for the Rosanna batsmen, who haven't covered themselves in glory against good opposition this season, whilst the Rosebank bowling attack will do exactly the same as what they do every other week - bowl a pretty good line and length to try and force errors.

Interesting to see Shane Gillard was given such an important game seeing as it's well known that he is a part of the furniture at Rosebank.

Just had a look at the team that played on Saturday, and besides Favrin and Walker is anyone else missing? Favrin has little kids, so first presumption must be that he had other committments, whilst Walker is out for the season after injuring himself at work. Well done to EI on showing a bit of backbone though.

With two experienced players at the crease, I think Edinburgh should be ok against West, but if they manage to take an early wicket then the blood pressure will rise a bit for the Burra.

Anything over 200 is tough to chase, but if you're chasing anywhere, then Cotchin is the place to do it. Will be a terrific test for the Rosanna batsmen, who haven't covered themselves in glory against good opposition this season, whilst the Rosebank bowling attack will do exactly the same as what they do every other week - bowl a pretty good line and length to try and force errors.

Interesting to see Shane Gillard was given such an important game seeing as it's well known that he is a part of the furniture at Rosebank.
It just seems like looking at the team that beat Rosanna in the game before xmas compared to the team now there is just a bit more inexperience in the bergs line up, they look a lot more fragile

West bowlers (obviously talking mainly about Young and McDonald) have the capability to win the game for them, all they need to do is get an early wicket and then the burra have to rely on some youngsters to carry them at the end, could be interesting

as discussed previously, i think it will be hard for almatrah to come in and bat in this innings, considering its finals like pressure, and he is a key to their batting

Well, last week took a turn with Edinburgh beating West outright and Rosebank comfortably accounting for Rosanna.

Rosanna certainly don't appear to be hitting the finals at full force having lost and drawn with Edinburgh, a loss to Rosebank and a loss and a win to Heidelberg. Their "name" players appear to be in reasonable form though, so it will be up to blokes like Carlton, Slater (haven't included him as a "name" because Dunbar is their #1 spinner) and Nikolovski to really stand up in finals if they're to give it a shake. They're in strife against Banyule, and it's certainly not out of the realms of possibility that they'll drop to 4th if Heidelberg can win.

Besides the above game, surprising to see Viewbank bat all day against Rosebank (Sampimon not bowling - injured or just giving Bedi a good opportunity?), and certainly put themselves in a position to potentially win. Plumpton has made a habit of punishing the weaker teams though, and you'd expect them to chase down the 215 without any huge concerns.

Edinburgh also batted all day, with Brown getting his second century of the season, but as a team compiled 228, which is a little surprising bearing in mind their strokemakers through the middle order. Against the brittle Heidelberg batting it should be enough, but if Favrin and Fernando get going then they may live to regret not being a bit bolder and pushing for a higher score.

East and West's battle for the wooden spoon should go down to the wire with East's two best batsmen at the crease and 150 still to get.

In 2nd grade, Edinburgh v Heidelberg will more than likely continue to be a dour struggle and Rosebank v NH should be very exciting. From 6/60 odd, Rosebank did tremendously well to fight back and post a reasonable score. It begs the question though, does Plumpton hate Capaldo? Or are there other reasons why he hasn't been selected to play first grade this season?

Only one week away from the business end of the season, and it looks like being an absolutely stellar one in both the senior grades with some very even teams that all have question marks over them.

Interesting to see Viewbank scoring over 200 against Rosebank. There could be a boil over in the making unless their best 2 bats score heavily. Rosebank's lower order hasnt scored runs all year and must be a worrying sign. Interesting to see what happens. Edinburgh seem to be the form team of the year & seem to have a solid batting line up which will take some beating. Rosanna should get the points against a spirited Banyule.

Semi final week ahead will see Rosanna account for Edinburgh. I think finals experience should be enough for the Sanna's to have a tilt at back to back. Although the Burra has had an outstanding season their bowling stocks may find it difficult to bowl the opposition out cheaply. Man of Match Raywood. The other final looks like an easy affair for the guys at Cothchin but there will be a surprise upset imo. Rosebank have a solid bowling line up but really only have 2 standout batsmen which will prove costly as there is a lack of batting depth. They dont have anyone else who can score runs. If Heidelberg get Plumpton & Sampion out cheaply I think it could be game over for Rosebank. Man of Match Fernando.

Semi final week ahead will see Rosanna account for Edinburgh. I think finals experience should be enough for the Sanna's to have a tilt at back to back. Although the Burra has had an outstanding season their bowling stocks may find it difficult to bowl the opposition out cheaply. Man of Match Raywood. The other final looks like an easy affair for the guys at Cothchin but there will be a surprise upset imo. Rosebank have a solid bowling line up but really only have 2 standout batsmen which will prove costly as there is a lack of batting depth. They dont have anyone else who can score runs. If Heidelberg get Plumpton & Sampion out cheaply I think it could be game over for Rosebank. Man of Match Fernando.

Very interesting, Berger.

A Grade:
I think Rosanna and Edinburgh will be a very tight game, and will come down to whether Edinburgh can bat for long enough. If Edinburgh bat for 80 overs then they'll win, because I don't think Rosanna have the batting firepower to chase down (or set) a big total. Whilst finals experience will have a say, I think it would be remiss of you not to recognise that Edinburgh are an experienced team with potentially excellent batting and good bowling. Rosanna have made a habit of routing teams this season though, so would go into the game against Edinburgh feeling very confident I reckon. That said, I think the home ground advantage will allow the Burra to just sneak over the line...

The second game is very, very intruiging. Heidelberg have the best attack in the competition whilst Rosebank possess two of the best three or four batsmen. As Berger says, if Heidelberg can get Plumpton and Sampimon cheaply then there is always a chance that the other eight wickets will tumble. However, the same can be said for Heidelberg, who's batting has been very brittle at times if neither Favrin or Fernando get runs. Everything will have to go right for Heidelberg to snatch this one, and on the runway out at Cotchin that won't happen. Rosebank fairly comfortably, but not without a couple of frights along the way.

B Grade:
Edinburgh and Heidelberg meet for the second week in a row. Edinburgh have terrific depth, but have been missing key players each week for the past month or so. Some have been promoted and done well in the 1's, some injured and some unavailable for other reasons. At Beverley Rd, their attack will be too dour for Heidelberg, and despite the best efforts of Nihill (unless promoted) and Poci will not make a big enough score for Edinburgh to have too many concerns chasing down.

Who will be the two players from the 1's that make way for Grindal and Noonan to return though?

Rosebank and North Heidelberg will clash after an incredibly topsy turvy round 14 clash (if not for rain, last week would have been a doozy), and one can expect this final to follow suit. Will Capaldo be promoted? Will Acker come back to his spiritual home in the 2's? North's bowling attack are heavily reliant on Green, and with the short square boundaries and old deck at Chelsworth his influence will be reduced somewhat. Due to that, I'm tipping Rosebank comfortably as North just won't be able to score enough runs against their tight bowling. If this occurs, the HDCA will breathe a sigh of relief!

My tips will set up Edinburgh - Rosebank grand finals in both grades which will be terrific for the standard of cricket, but not so great for the supporters of both teams who will have to travel between grounds.

You make some good points Moneybank and Berger, whilst i agree that Heidelbergs batting is weak and there bowling is strong i feel that if they can break the cruicial opening pair and proceeding partnership between plumps/samps they can put themselves in good stead becuase the way cricket works a team of Heidelbergs calibre has to get over the jitters of poor batting, nonetheless the battle at cotchin will be a tighter game becuase Rosanna should and will account for the burra boys easily purely because of their self confidence in finals games, I can't see burra getting up mentally for the challenge for finals cricket and im tipping they will be overawed by a tight rosanna

Rosanna win, Brown BOG
Rosebank win, Samps BOG

I aggree 100% with your two's prediction but there will only be one change to the heidelberg team Grindal in Gardner out

surely a North Heidelberg vs. Edinburgh grand final would be interesting

You make some good points Moneybank and Berger, whilst i agree that Heidelbergs batting is weak and there bowling is strong i feel that if they can break the cruicial opening pair and proceeding partnership between plumps/samps they can put themselves in good stead becuase the way cricket works a team of Heidelbergs calibre has to get over the jitters of poor batting, nonetheless the battle at cotchin will be a tighter game becuase Rosanna should and will account for the burra boys easily purely because of their self confidence in finals games, I can't see burra getting up mentally for the challenge for finals cricket and im tipping they will be overawed by a tight rosanna

Rosanna win, Brown BOG
Rosebank win, Samps BOG

I aggree 100% with your two's prediction but there will only be one change to the heidelberg team Grindal in Gardner out

surely a North Heidelberg vs. Edinburgh grand final would be interesting
I Agree with some points you made Hanz, Rosebank do have an unusual opening pair which did show in the last one dayer Vs the Bergs that they can be dangerous, although I maintain that their 2 guns are the key. Lasi is primed for a big game & will show his class.
Rosanna are still seething after the abandoned game (home&away) Vs the Burra. The Sanna's felt that they were conveniently robbed a chance of a higher ladder position due to Shadbolt & co using their influence to abondon the game. I am predicting a little spite in this game.
Nth Heidelberg are a formidable outfit with John Green & if he fires it will be all over. Rosebank seconds also have the team to win the title, but the question remains why is Christofoli & Capaldo playing in the seconds. Surely they should be playing A grade.

I Agree with some points you made Hanz, Rosebank do have an unusual opening pair which did show in the last one dayer Vs the Bergs that they can be dangerous, although I maintain that their 2 guns are the key. Lasi is primed for a big game & will show his class.
Rosanna are still seething after the abandoned game (home&away) Vs the Burra. The Sanna's felt that they were conveniently robbed a chance of a higher ladder position due to Shadbolt & co using their influence to abondon the game. I am predicting a little spite in this game.
Nth Heidelberg are a formidable outfit with John Green & if he fires it will be all over. Rosebank seconds also have the team to win the title, but the question remains why is Christofoli & Capaldo playing in the seconds. Surely they should be playing A grade.

They can definitely be dangerous, but haven't had any consistency this season. Lasi undoubtedly primed; his batting has been superb in the second half of the season.

Seeing as Edinburgh finished 9pts ahead of Rosanna, maybe the 'Sannas should be seething about their lack of maths skills rather than an abandoned game! I didn't realise Shadbolt had anything to do with it though, all I heard from Rosanna was a mass of whingeing about the Edinburgh captain refusing to take the field?

Both Christofoli and Capaldo struggle to make training on a regular basis, so it was decided at the beginning of the season that both would only play 1's if others were unavailable. Will be interesting to see if that changes for finals though, I'm tipping yes...

They can definitely be dangerous, but haven't had any consistency this season. Lasi undoubtedly primed; his batting has been superb in the second half of the season.

Seeing as Edinburgh finished 9pts ahead of Rosanna, maybe the 'Sannas should be seething about their lack of maths skills rather than an abandoned game! I didn't realise Shadbolt had anything to do with it though, all I heard from Rosanna was a mass of whingeing about the Edinburgh captain refusing to take the field?

Both Christofoli and Capaldo struggle to make training on a regular basis, so it was decided at the beginning of the season that both would only play 1's if others were unavailable. Will be interesting to see if that changes for finals though, I'm tipping yes...[/quote
Good tipping on the week moneybank :) will be an interesting day down at chelsworth park come the w/end with edinburgh v nth heidelberg .... I'm hearing rumours that edinburgh ain't to keen on playing the game and if this is correct why ? because the player that did that offence has not been at the club this year so surely they will do the right thing as they have already been handed the gift of not laying at shelley park this season ,cause of fearing for their life ....please now folks just come w/end time let's all have a good match and may the best team win .

Here we are the final game of the year, I was surprised by the outcome at cotchin, what a game it was, just goes to show you can never rule out a club like Heidelberg and a player like Noonan, I think at the end of the day Rosebank relied heavily on the 2 stars and when they couldnt break the tight bowling and eventually got out, the tail which has hardly batted this year, let alone come in and win a semi could not handle the pressure and collapsed under the Noonan attack. Biscontin, Fernando and Noons were easily the pick of the bowlers for the bergs and Samps and Tenuta with the bat for Rosebank, who would have thought with Rosebank 6-136 chasing 147 they could lose a game like that. Hopefully the same crowd numbers can be matched as they were at Cotchin on the weekend.

Edinburgh were nothing but disapppointing in their efforts to play in the elusive final- Been the front runners all year brings all the pressure that comes with that but honestly i can't imagine there been too many positives to take out of the Burras weekend considering its just another year wasted for a team that promsises so much everyear yet continues not to deliver, interesting to see how they can move on from this, Rosanna were far too good, outclassed them in every aspect and as was predicited in above posts the premiers showed their class when it comes to finals cricket and been on the big stage.

Historically there has never been much love lost between Rosanna and Heidelberg and over the past few years the rivalrally has reached boiling point and i'm sure that will come to a head on the proceeding Saturdays.
I was surprised that the ground of choice was Cotchin, as good as it is condition wise you would hope the crowd would not be deterred from heading up there to watch the granny, I would have thought that Chelsworth would be an obvious choice..

Thoughts on the game?

A good summary Hanz. I am not surprised by the results on the weekend. I predicted both outcomes in an earlier post. I must say that the game at Cotchin was awe inspiring & one of the best i 've witnessed. The game changed minute by minute and no one could have predicted a winner at any stage. Standout players were Noon's, Biscuit & of course Lasi getting the big scalp. I thought Sampimon and Tenuta were outstanding during the middle of Rosebanks innings as there were no loose balls or free hits offered by the mighty Heidelberg bowling attack. Most batsmen would have buckled under such intense pressure but credit needs to given to them for showing such fight & determination.
What can we say about Noon's, He is a club great and always fires in the big event. His performance was outstanding..
Credit to Both Heidelberg & Rosebank as the game was played with great intensity & sportsmanship, something this comp hasn't experienced in many years.
Lookout Rosanna as the mighty Bergers are coming!!!

Interesting to see peopple thoughts about the granny, last time these 2 met i believe Heidelberg beat Rosanna, however looking back on the records Rosanna have made easy work of HCC in their previous encounters. Although they batted well against a tight Rosebank attack last week i still have reservations about Heidelbergs batting, can they post 250 if they bat first and bat well, but to their credit they almost batted the 80 last week and a positive sign was Kamy getting some runs down the bottom of the order. If Rosanna bat first and post a good total, i can't see Heidelberg getting over the line, but this will be hard for Rosanna seeing as though the heidelberg bowling attack is clearly the strongest in the competition. Same could be said if Heidelberg bat and put a good total on the board, as i witnessed on the weekend there bowling really has no weaklinks and they can keep a team down to 136 for almost a days batting AGAIN if they bowl with the same pressure as they did on sunday.

Will there be any team changes?

Finally I'm curious as to why the A-Grade granny is been played at Cotchin, sure the surface is unrivalled in the comp but surely the HDCA would want the maxmimum crowd at the game and having it far out could be a deterant? I'm sure Heidelberg dont mind though last time they played there they were beaten by EISCC!

The Burra were shattered with their loss, and the way it came about, over the weekend. Didn't have any luck (Brown run out in the 4th over coming back for a 3rd...), but bad luck doesn't account for 8/53! To their credit, they never stopped trying, and whilst the Sannas passed their score for the loss of only two wickets, it took them a painfully long time to get there. Sheehan was dropped a few times, but certainly looked very sharp. With the ball, Raywood and Mcauley were both outstanding and never gave the Burra a chance.

Great work from Heidelberg to defeat Rosebank like they did. I've said all season that they have the strongest bowling attack in the competition, and it has come to the fore in a semi final. Whilst I'm sure the bowling was excellent during the middle overs, Tenuta and Sampimon just HAD to find a way to score, rather than relying on Plumpton going at a run a ball, because the expectation would always be that the lower order will crumble.

In terms of the GF, my tip is Rosanna in a battle of the bowlers. Heidelberg's batting is poor unless Favrin or Lasith can make runs (apologies to Grindal), with a tail that stretches longer than a thresher shark's. However, I don't really think Rosanna's is much better! They bat reasonably all the way down to number 10, but probably don't have anyone in there who can take the game away from Heidelberg. If the team batting first can last the 80 overs, then they will win.

Now, I don't want to speak out of turn, but I would be surprised if there isn't a forced change in the Rosanna line up.

In the 2's, the HDCA executive's worst nightmare has come true. If Kennel believes that refusing to shake the opposition captain's hand (both at coin toss and post match), and then slamming on the windows of the Edinburgh rooms post game threatening to kill all of them is appropriate behaviour then I'm not sure cricket is his kind of sport! In my personal experience though, besides a few who get carried away, the North boys are pretty harmless and I'm sure will be up for the fight (pun well and truly intended!) come this weekend. It is a very, very interesting game on paper though, especially as Edinburgh have won their two contests this season. NH are nowhere near the intimidating force they were last season when Edinburgh snuck up on them in a semi, but without that element of surprise, will be far more prepared. Personally, I think it's too close to call! Mainly though, I hope both teams can carry themselves in a mature and professional manner.

Will these be the last HDCA grand finals ever????

Well done to Edinburgh, Bellfield, OI and West Ivanhoe on their flags so far. Commiserations to those who fell short at the last hurdle. After all the sleepless nights that i'm sure the MC had, it was good to hear that the 2nd grade GF was played as it should be - hard and uncompromising but generally speaking, in the right spirit. I've heard that the speeches made by both Stu and Greeny were a credit to both. Lots of water still has to go under the bridge, but hopefully these two clubs can move on with the aim of making the HDCA stronger in the future.

Get up to Cotchin on Saturday for what should be an absolute belter. This has the potential to be an all-time classic.

Hi. Does the chubby guy from Rosanna still play.. I thinks his name is lee Anderson. I remember him being chubby and always running out of breath! Plus he was always eating.
Good luck to Heidelberg on Saturday, I think Rosanna were 250 runs short

He's playing with some bald dude who made a 30 ball duck last weekend over at Montmorency. Was brutal to watch

Bit quiet on here! Especially after seeing one of the greatest gf ever!
Will this be last time the two sides play against each other? My mail says it is.
Bad luck to the dim sim eater, he nearly got the boys over the line...
My mail says north Heidelberg have applied for barcley! They won't accept money shield.
Beergarden out.
How much did Rosanna pay the umpires. The best player was given out LBW after he actually hit the ball.Talk about ruining a great game of cricket. Its a joke!!!
As for Rosanna they are done & dusted & on there way to DVCA.. Good riddance i say. DVCA is an overated competition. Nth Heidelberg wont be around next year, dont know where you get your info from beergarden.

How much did Rosanna pay the umpires. The best player was given out LBW after he actually hit the ball.Talk about ruining a great game of cricket. Its a joke!!!
As for Rosanna they are done & dusted & on there way to DVCA.. Good riddance i say. DVCA is an overated competition. Nth Heidelberg wont be around next year, dont know where you get your info from beergarden.

Conspiracy theories, sour grapes and jealousy.................your post has it all. Really, really great entertainment. :rolleyes:

not my comp don't care who won or lost, from what i saw and heard the bloke batting smashed it to fine leg!
appealing for that was an embasressment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back