Heat policy?

Old Hopper

Heat policy?

Whats everyones thoughts on a heat policy?

Up my way, Shepparton, it is supposed to be 43 degrees tomorrow and from what I can tell it will just as hot if not hotter everywhere else.

There are several clubs pushing to get all games cancelled due to the heat. I dont agree with them but certainly can understand their reasoning.

What are other comps doing? I would have thought other comps around the country would experience these temps fairly regularly. Do you ever call games off and if so what is the policy.

I am not being judgemental about it as, as I said I completely understand why games would be called off, it is just my preference to play. I think extra drinks breaks and longer tea breaks should be enough.

Whats everyones thoughts?

Re: Heat policy?

Depends where you live, If it is Northern Qld or something, you get the heat but not the sun. I think the sun is the real danger as you can get sunstroke and such.

In juniors in my comp, if it is over 35 by 4pm, we don't play.

You can see their reasoning but don't agree? Why not?

43 deg is too hot for park cricket. Too many old blokes and juniors playing.

Dean3;318174 said:
You can see their reasoning but don't agree? Why not?

43 deg is too hot for park cricket. Too many old blokes and juniors playing.

I just reckon it can be managed, we have played in similar conditions before. Every season we have at least 1 or 2 days over 40.

It is just a case of having more drinks breaks, a longer afternoon tea and captains and players being smart in regards to bowling changes.

Also having a drink at square leg at all times for both batsmen and fieldsmans should ensure no one gets dehydrated.

If we had been playing in hotter conditions all summer I doubt anyone would have made it an issue, it is just that this season the weather has been very mild with temperatures in the low 30s.

Old Hopper;318203 said:
I just reckon it can be managed, we have played in similar conditions before. Every season we have at least 1 or 2 days over 40.

It is just a case of having more drinks breaks, a longer afternoon tea and captains and players being smart in regards to bowling changes.

Also having a drink at square leg at all times for both batsmen and fieldsmans should ensure no one gets dehydrated.

If we had been playing in hotter conditions all summer I doubt anyone would have made it an issue, it is just that this season the weather has been very mild with temperatures in the low 30s.

I agree with you bud,its a summer sport+we've played in 40 degree heat for years,if people dont like it, retire + go to the beach.......oooopps make that a cool pubtab,the beach would be to hot:eek:

OK, let's approach it from a different angle.

At what temperature do you believe that cricket should be cancelled?

Dean3;318217 said:

I dont think you can put a number on it 35 degrees in Northern Victoria is different to 35 degrees in Darwin.

I think play should go ahead unless the temp is abnormally high for the region you are in. Say for example historical records indicate that the highest temp in the region in 40 years is 44 degrees, then I would suggest you set a limit at that number or a degree or two less and say any day that exceeds the limit play is cancelled.

Thats just a thought off the top of my head, obviously it takes no note of humidity, cloud cover, wind etc.

Dean3;318217 said:

People think we are crazy for playing in the heat,you either love or hate cricket........the season goes so quick after a few washouts or byes,now its heat.........we shouldnt get called off at all for heat........when the goin gets tough,the tough get goin,I reckon!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Hopper;318249 said:
I dont think you can put a number on it 35 degrees in Northern Victoria is different to 35 degrees in Darwin.

I think play should go ahead unless the temp is abnormally high for the region you are in. Say for example historical records indicate that the highest temp in the region in 40 years is 44 degrees, then I would suggest you set a limit at that number or a degree or two less and say any day that exceeds the limit play is cancelled.

Thats just a thought off the top of my head, obviously it takes no note of humidity, cloud cover, wind etc.

How about using the Wet Bulb Globe Temperature?

A one off day of 40 would be ok, but with forecasts ranging from 37-41 in the suburbs tomorrow on the back of 3 days of 43+, I wouldn't be surprised if a few comps call it off early tomorrow morning.

Don't Bowl Short;318279 said:
A one off day of 40 would be ok, but with forecasts ranging from 37-41 in the suburbs tomorrow on the back of 3 days of 43+, I wouldn't be surprised if a few comps call it off early tomorrow morning.

Maybe kids not the men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Cotch;318477 said:
Anyone reckon we'll get a game tomorrow?

The Shepparton comp was called off Jnrs and seniors. It got up to 43 degrees.

Any other comps get called off?

I noticed a veterans game between Shepp and Albury still went ahead on Sunday in 41 degrees, this seeed odd to me surely if veterans can play in 41 degrees others can play in 43?

Anyway 40 degrees is the prediction for next week so will be interesting to see what happens

Old Hopper;320150 said:
The Shepparton comp was called off Jnrs and seniors. It got up to 43 degrees.

Any other comps get called off?

I noticed a veterans game between Shepp and Albury still went ahead on Sunday in 41 degrees, this seeed odd to me surely if veterans can play in 41 degrees others can play in 43?

Anyway 40 degrees is the prediction for next week so will be interesting to see what happens

Up here in Albury/Wodonga the powers that b decided that cricket is a SUMMER sport so the round went ahead.
However,some of the captains and umpires at a few of the games used a bit of commonsense and decided to play a 1 day game next week.

Back