Heavier Bats Better Than Lighter Ones?

Richard the Third

BigCricket Administrator
I have to buy a new bat and I'm a little stumped as to what weight to for. Personally, I like light but some people have been saying I need to get someone with a little more meat on it.

I can live with either but are there any benefits to having a 3 pound bat as opposed to a 2 pound 6 one?

Nope. More difficult to pick up, harder to swing, etc. A decent test is as follows: When you go into the shop, pick up each bat. Hold it out, arm stretched, perpendicular to your body, and hold it out for a minute. If you cannot do that, then it is probably too heavy for you. Practice a couple of drives with it, a heavy bat will probably make you lose your form with the shot. Again, it's down to personal preference. How tall are you? How strong do you perceive yourself to be? I have two bats, one at 2'9, one at 2'12 and a half. They pick up lighter than they are, and I am comfortable with the heavier one playing normally, but playing stuff like reverse-sweeps, and big shots, I need the lighter bat as it picks up quicker! It's very much what people feel comfortable with. Each person is different as well!

Funnily enough, I was going to post that, not sure why I didn't if I'm honest! With a heavier bat, the mindset is often a case of " have a heavy bat, so I'm gonna swing really hard at the ball". If you have a lighter bat, it is better for your technique, as like I said it won't make you lose your form. A heavier bat may, at times, help the bat come through straighter but you will have less power if you do not have the physical strength and means with which to pick up and use the bat properly. I'll have a hunt around, see if I can find anything else to help you on this.

I reckon weight distribution is more important than overall weight when selecting a bat. If you are a front foot straight bat player on turf, then you need a bat with the meat/weight lower on the blade. If you are a cutter and a puller playing on hard decks, then something with the weight a little higher will suit you.

As above with what dean3 said.The bat has to feel right first.
Go into a decent shop that holds a variety of weights and have a good swing of them all then that'll give you a good idea. But balance/weight distribution is another factor. I just got a awesome deal on a Puma Scultara Reserve 2.9lbs and still picks up better than the lighter SS bat I have but that comes down to its balance and probably cause its a grade 1 bat might have something to do with it.

My personal preference is a heavier bat as apposed to a light one. Although, this may be because of my height and stuff. It's all personal preference to be honest.

The best bat weight is the heaviest one you can handle without it negatively affecting your technique. Most amateur cricketers aren't actually strong enough to use bats as heavy as they do.

I'm quite strong so I'm able to get away with a bat that weighs just under 3lb. That would be far too heavy for most people.

As someone said - the weight distribution is also important. I picked a Slazenger V3 because I'm a front foot player, and I play my home games on quite a slow low pitch, so I need a lower middle on my bat than most.

Back