Heavy Bats

WK Batsman

Heavy Bats

i have a fairly heavy bat and was using it well early on last season
towards the end of they year i was playing late at alot of balls
could this be the bat or just poor form?

Re: Heavy Bats

most likely a combination of both.

is the bat the right weight for you anyway?
would you play with a heavy bat even if you had the choice of any bat you want?

the weight of the bat varies from person to person. if your a stronger person then use a heavier bat if it feels comfortable.

i myself use a really light bat, not because im not strong enough or skillful enough (although im not skilled anyway) but i like to play lots of dabs and unconventional shots, so i use a lighter bat to flick it around. i make sure it has a good middle for my lofted straight drives and cover drives as well.

i have trouble playing late aswelll, but it is because i dont pick the ball up.
are you seeing the ball?
often it is good to think about absolutely nothing to do with cricket. just let your body play the shot that feels best to the ball while watching it continuously. playing late can also be caused by thinking too much and for too long about what shot to play.
any of the above?

i need to think about the game because im a captain
when im in good form i usually hit almost everything on the middle
just when im in bad form i hit my drives towards the toe
it might be im not picking up the ball
but its only when im in bad form

if you arent picking the ball up a good drill that mousey or breeno (not quite sure) suggested to me when i had the same troubles was using a range of different bright coloured balls in the nets and ensuring that you concentrate on watching them all the way to the bat. i had trouble with playing late on balls for a season and this drill helped me heaps, i went from averaging 9 for the season to scoring a 40 in the semi-final and a (if i can say so myself) match winning 68 in the final, and i bat at number 8.
just get a few different types of bowlers to fire a few down to you in the nets using a different coloured ball everytime. i found a good thing to do was leave at every chance in the nets and just watch it fly past into the back wall. dont forget though at the end of every net session to switch back to the colour ball you normally play with and bat for a while with that, otherwise you will be looking for a bright yellow ball when out in the middle when a dark red one fires into your stumps.
about that thinking thing, i meant before you face up every ball just think about watching the ball, get everything out of your mind, even if you are captain. one way i do it is to talk to the other batsman at the other end about what they are having for dinner, or something completely random.
when out of form do you have trouble with yorkers? and by playing with the toe of the bat do you mean you are coming through a little early and it is popping up in the air, or playing late and it firing straight into the ground?

Dear Boris,

I recently began preseason training, and unfortunately I dislocated my shoulder in my first real hit out in the nets.

I'm still using a heavy bat, do you think this could have contributed to my injury?

Do you have any advice for me?

WK_Batsman;404966 said:
Dear Boris,

I recently began preseason training, and unfortunately I dislocated my shoulder in my first real hit out in the nets.

I'm still using a heavy bat, do you think this could have contributed to my injury?

Do you have any advice for me?

Well I'm not the best coach around and an even worse physician to I'm not really the one to say on that, Liz could help you out there if you drop her a PM or hope she sees the thread.

Dislocating your shoulder is a very annoying thing to do in terms of cricket, believe me :D. Which shoulder is it, and is that your dominant arm?

Also how did your last season go since it's been a long time between posts? Still playing late and feeling the weight of the bat?

I am a bit confused WK_Batsman. Are you and WK Batsman one in the same member?

If so, I doubt the weight of the bat is the issue. It really is impossible to say 100% without seeing you, your posture, or a video but it sounds like weak back muscles to me. You should not be using the shoulder joint to bat but the girdle. I suspect the shoulder stabilisers are not up to the job.

I used to use a heavier bat to counteract the fact i was always on the ball early, and this worked well for a while. the bat was 3lb 6oz.... there is a pic on here somewhere.

Then i started to get some proper batting coaching, and all of a sudden my bat was to heavy!. I naturally have a good hand to eye. so i went to a Kookaburra RP Kahuna at 2lb12oz...

Now i'm developing more shots and ive just broken my Kookaburra with a 6" crack from the tow upwards. i'm now onto a 2lb 9oz Woodworm. (admitidly its taken from the pro box at CA and custom made)

However nothing of the above applies when you end up on a belting pitch, or a slow low wicket. You need to play your game and play yourself in and let the ball come to you

Back