"hello Stranger..."

Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing OK. Thought I'd pop in and say hello as our winter nets are starting soon and no doubt I'll have plenty to discuss with you all in terms of my action!!!

I'm afraid I've been rather lazy... Since the outdoor nets were taken down last Autumn I haven't bowled a single ball
frown.png
. Mind you, I have at least been spinning from hand to hand pretty much any free minute I've had, leg-breaks, flippers and even a bit of finger spin, and I think my flipper's got some good spin on it so now I can move on to trying to bowl it for real in empty nets. As for my leg-break I've made a few adjustments to my grip, and it has a couple of "flavours" now - differentiated by which side of the seam I rest my third finger on. I'm also using my index finger a bit more.

Meanwhile I've been reading - a LOT! I got the third Grimmett book (Tricking the Batsman) for Christmas and have read it cover to cover, and I've also read the autobiographies of Eric Hollies ("I'll Spin You a Tale", fun, with one brief chapter on technique) and Arthur Mailey ("10 for 66 and All That", a total classic, sadly no tips on technique but an interesting list of "Bosanquet's disciples"), as well as all sorts of other things like John Major's book about Cricket's origins, a book about Peter Pan author J.M. Barrie's cricket team and "Slipless in Settle", a very amusing book about club cricket in the north of England. I've been thinking and thinking and thinking about my cricket, doodling field settings and formulating Baldrickian "cunning plans" for how to get batsmen out, so mentally I feel pretty well prepared for the season, even if physically I've got a fair bit of work to do...

Back