Help a keeper bowl leg-spin

Staple

Help a keeper bowl leg-spin

Hello

I've been keeping for the last 3 years to keep a spot in the team, and even though I enjoy it, I enjoy bowling in the nets when I get the chance much much more.

I have a passion for leg-spin bowling. I'm a right-hander. During the last week I decided that I'm going to really start practicing bowling leggies, and I set my self a must-reach goal of bowling in at least one match this upcoming season. We have another up-and-coming keeper now who can take my spot if I get this right. Our team definitely needs it since we only have one off-spinner who spins about as much as Paul Harris.

I've been searching the net and found a few videos by Terry Jenner, although they are so short they don't really help. I've also found a few pages but they don't contain comprehensive imagery so that does not help much either.

I've scanned through a couple of threads and I kept reading about a wrist-spinners thread somewhere which keeps eluding me or I am just too dim-witted to find it :D

Would like a link to a video or page, or some instructions from this community on how to bowl leg-spin, starting with the grip and release. At the moment I only want to get myself a decent stock delivery, then later I can focus on variations.

Thanks!

Re: Help a keeper bowl leg-spin

Staple;383779 said:
Hello

I've been keeping for the last 3 years to keep a spot in the team, and even though I enjoy it, I enjoy bowling in the nets when I get the chance much much more.

I have a passion for leg-spin bowling. I'm a right-hander. During the last week I decided that I'm going to really start practicing bowling leggies, and I set my self a must-reach goal of bowling in at least one match this upcoming season. We have another up-and-coming keeper now who can take my spot if I get this right. Our team definitely needs it since we only have one off-spinner who spins about as much as Paul Harris.

I've been searching the net and found a few videos by Terry Jenner, although they are so short they don't really help. I've also found a few pages but they don't contain comprehensive imagery so that does not help much either.

I've scanned through a couple of threads and I kept reading about a wrist-spinners thread somewhere which keeps eluding me or I am just too dim-witted to find it :D

Would like a link to a video or page, or some instructions from this community on how to bowl leg-spin, starting with the grip and release. At the moment I only want to get myself a decent stock delivery, then later I can focus on variations.

Thanks!
Keep looking and you will find the wrist spin thread.

http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t70231/

theres the wrist spin thread. the 2nd part of it at least. there is another one that got too long and got closed thats also around somewhere. it will take you a week to read all the posts though lol.

the first places to start are to watch the Terry Jenner and Shane Warne videos on YouTube.

YouTube - How to bowl leg spin like Shane Warne
YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass Spin Bowling tips 1
YouTube - Shane Warne

then there is an excellent book called "The Art of Wrist Spin Bowling" by Peter Philpott. give that a read cover to cover.

the most important thing though is to figure out the basic grip, find something that is comfortable for you, and then practice spinning between your hands at every possible opportunity. i will sit in front of the TV for a couple of hours and just spin the ball between my hands non stop. whenever my hands arent being used they tend to have a cricket ball in them. if you do this for at least an hour or 2 every day youll soon get good at it.

then youve got to figure out how to bowl it across 22 yards. thats when it gets more difficult. and thats when all the videos and the Philpott book come into their own. you basically have to just start bowling, figure out what youre doing well and what youre doing wrong, and then just add more and more to your game until you get better and better. a video camera is invaluable for analysing your bowling. its hard to do when you cant see yourself. having a good leg spin coach can help a great deal too.

someblokecalleddave on here has a few blogs on leg spin bowling, and he has some very good pictures of the hand grips which might help you. find one of his posts and the links are underneath them.

ive got a fair few videos of my own bowling on youtube in slow motion which may also prove useful. but my bowling is far from perfect, so its not necessarily advisable to copy too much lol. the one thing i do well is to spin the ball very hard. so my grip, wrist action and release are possibly worth paying attention to. the rest of my action is still a major work in progress though.
YouTube - Jim2109's Channel

Staple;383779 said:
Hello

Thanks!

Have a look at my blogs (see links below), use the links on the blog and they'll take you to useful videos as well. Once you get going post questions in the Wrist Spin Blog and let us know how you're doing.

Step 1:

Take the gloves off.

Step 2:

Go to the other end of the pitch!

Hope this helps!

Back