Help with my Drives

MrOffBreaks

Help with my Drives

Hi,

I usually consider myself as a bowler ( i bat at no.7) and not much of a batsmen i average around 20 but with some good scores at the end of last season (40, 42 and 39* <-- the 39* included 8 boundaries).

But during this last preseason i seem to be having trouble with my driving technique.

Mainly to pace bowlers i see a nice juicy half volley bowled to me i lunge with my weight transferred to the front foot which is towards the pitch of the ball. But every time i try to punch the ball through the covers or down the ground i tend to miss them.

Could this be more of a problem with me picking the length up too slow or am i just timing my shots wrong?

- MrOffBreaks

Re: Help with my Drives

The most likely cause is that you are not aligning your swing to the ball properly.

There are loads of causes of this: head position, bottom hand dominance (because of grip, stance or backswing), initial movement and/or downswing.

Hard to say which of this is the fault without seeing you. However, if you get all that right you are unlikely to miss the ball, even if you mis-time it.

So we need more investigation basically.

hey mate,

one problem i found i had with my drives lays what you said, "juicy half volley"... i found the if i got 2 keen to hit that "juicy" ball or "punch" at it 2 hard... it generally turns out to be a miss or a really bad looking shot....

our team coach looked at my drives and come up with;

1. i was planting my foot at a similar time to that of which my bat was coming down (try and move your foot during your backlift)

2. i was hitting at it 2 hard.....

lol this maybe be no help what so ever 2 u... it fixed my drives though

keep your head still make sure u are in line with the ball. get as close to it as possible. do not lift your head while u play the shot. play through the line of the ball. i am a little confused though when u say u miss them what do u mean ? Past outside edge or through bat and pad? the off/cover/square cut and cut shot's are prob my best shots i eat em for breakfast :p..

how far r u lunging 4ward because u might be putting 2 much weight on your front foot and losing balance

When I start missing or mistiming my drives, I just remind myself to wait for the ball. The mindset you have of 'I see a nice big juicy half volley' could be part of the problem - the key to a good drive is to not get too excited, don't go chasing it, and then give a nice smooth stroke with a balanced weight transference. It's all about timing. Power is nothing, timing is everything.

Back