Help with timing

lemmon

Help with timing

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips/training techniques to aid with timing. I tend to play the quicker bowlers quite well but find myself spooning catches to cover/mid-off when a medium pacer comes on. The problem is mainly with balls pitched on about off stump and I find myself going too hard, too early with not enough footwork.
I tend to hit the ball after nearly completing the shot and the ball tends to come off the top half of the bat. So if anyone could give any tips/training aids I would be very thankful.

Re: Help with timing

Hey Lemmon

You may have answered your own question. It sounds like you are coming through with your shot earlier then you should be. Is this due to the fact you feel the ball should be coming quicker to you then it does or you get too excited when a ball is full and just wanting to be hit to the boundary?

Also if the ball is hitting the top of your bat near the sticker, you might be choosing the wrong ball to hit. It seems like the ball is too short to drive.

Be patient, get a mate to underarm balls at you in the net with varying pace and height so that you have to become aware of how you strike the ball and when you should. Also you can pick the balls to drive and the other ones to defend

D.K;386870 said:
Hey Lemmon

You may have answered your own question. It sounds like you are coming through with your shot earlier then you should be. Is this due to the fact you feel the ball should be coming quicker to you then it does or you get too excited when a ball is full and just wanting to be hit to the boundary?

Also if the ball is hitting the top of your bat near the sticker, you might be choosing the wrong ball to hit. It seems like the ball is too short to drive.

Be patient, get a mate to underarm balls at you in the net with varying pace and height so that you have to become aware of how you strike the ball and when you should. Also you can pick the balls to drive and the other ones to defend

Thanks for the reply mate, Im not sure the problem is shot selection, more my own technique. I tend to see the full ball and try to get as far forward as possible but being a shorter batsmen (5'5) and batting a fair way back in my crease a combination of bounce and my own timing does me in. I do have a problem sitting and waiting for the ball, this probably stems to being an opening bat and not being used to having much time to react. The timing issues tend to be related not only to drives but forward defenses as well and I have a bad habit of, on occasion when coming forward to defend of having the toe of the bat slightly in front of the handle and 'spooning' the ball

Again Ill say, you are bringing your bat through too early. If it comes through early the toe bat is obviously going to be in front of the handle.

People don't realse the amount of time one has before the ball comes. Take your time and allow the ball to strike the bat instead of you forcing the contact. As an opening bat the ball should fly off the bat even without much effort from yourself.

Back