Here is one for Liz - Back Pain

micoach

Here is one for Liz - Back Pain

Liz, why do you think so many young players get back pain?

It seems the most common injury.

Lifestyle? Poor action? Poor posture?

Generally speaking I mean

Re: Here is one for Liz - Back Pain

Also, is it a 'modern' occurrence, or something that would have been equally likely to occur say 10 or 20 years ago?

My guess would be too much time spent over computers and desks in school, and home to some extent. Not enough PE time, i mean, from my view we only got ONE hour a week of PE in High School and its simply not enough.

Especially as it was a Sports and Science college. (It was high school, but for some reason it was a college, not to sure why.)

The short answer is... biomechanical dysfunction :D

The cause is varied. For instance, pace bowlers are susceptible to stress fractures of the pars interarticularis in the spine through poor technique; mixed action.

The back acts as a whip for the arm, the spine hyperextends and rotates during lateral flexion. Add a counter rotation due to a mixed action and you have pain, lots of it, and a long rehabilitation (if you are able to continue at all).

I am always amazed at the number of guys who come to me with back pain, insisting on 'pure' action. Some through arrogance, others, most alarmingly, because their coaches have told them that their action is good. :eek:

As you can imagine, I often struggle to get the message over in these instances. [After all... I am just a woman... what do I know ;)] For those who are prepared to listen and at least give me the benefit of the doubt, recovery is almost instant.

Lack of core strength and stability is also a cause; the whole point of the core is to support the spine allowing the superficial muscles to work unimpeded. Unfortunately, these days, this is not happening.

Simbazz has a good point; sitting over computers and desks not only cause tight hamstrings, hip flexors and pecs, it also prevents the young people from getting 'out there' doing all the physical activities we used to when young, building the core naturally. The combination results in the body not being able to, effectively, sustain the pressures cricket puts on it.

I am amused by all the young guys wanting to attend a gym from the age of 13ish. When I was young, we climbed trees, swam in rivers, vaulted over farm gates and as Dave mentioned, threw stones as hard as we could at impossible targets on a very regular basis. Our bodies were naturally honed, functionally. So yes Tom, it is more of a modern occurrence, due to today's lifestyle.

Liz Ward said:
I am amused by all the young guys wanting to attend a gym from the age of 13ish. When I was young, we climbed trees, swam in rivers, vaulted over farm gates and as Dave mentioned, threw stones as hard as we could at impossible targets on a very regular basis. Our bodies were naturally honed, functionally. So yes Tom, it is more of a modern occurrence, due to today's lifestyle.

Phew. thats a long time ago. When did the victorian age stop? You'll rememer won't you Liz?

I'm sorry, :cry, i don't mean it. ;)

thanks liz
i am 100% sure my back pain is muscular
today before i bowled i warmed up alot about 20 mins and it didnt hurt my back

Sorry Kizza, I had no doubt of it. The question is... What is causing it?

There are still two common causes:

The mixed action; and
Core strength and stability.

Both will be eased with a good warm up.

If you are 100% sure of a pure action and have been told so by either a biomechanist or a L3 Coach, it will be your core.

If that is the case, look at http://www.simplycricket.net/what-the-heck-is-core-training-all-about-anyway-t440.15.html and follow all the links.

Back