Home Made Bowling Machine

swingking01

Hi guys
Has anyone here bulit a bowling machine if u have what was its cost and how did u build it and did. It bowl fast and accurate and still hold together because Iam only 14 and cant go and buy a $4000 one and I need something a bit faster and more accurate then my team mates and dad and I want to have a. Edge on the other teams thanks :)

Forget about a bowling machine and get yourself a mate and a sidearm (see here http://www.sidearm-cricket.com/). Much as there are all sorts of disclaimers about using the sidearm if you are a junior, if you are sensible and you and your mate spend a bit of time practicing with it without a batsman to start with it will be a lot more use and be a hell of a lot cheaper than a bowling machine

Forget about a bowling machine and get yourself a mate and a sidearm (see here http://www.sidearm-cricket.com/). Much as there are all sorts of disclaimers about using the sidearm if you are a junior, if you are sensible and you and your mate spend a bit of time practicing with it without a batsman to start with it will be a lot more use and be a hell of a lot cheaper than a bowling machine

That is such a good idea, I've seen them and not even considered that as an option. How much practice do you reckon it takes to get the accuracy needed to test the batsman properly?

Dave, I have lots of contacts that use them, I can highly recommend them. It's essentially like one of them tennis ball slingers that dog owners get, it's not too hard actually. They're also quite cheap (£20 for the club, £25 for the pro on Amazon). It would be worth experimenting with I feel!

Thanks guys I watched the video on it and seen the England test team using one for the ashes so Iam going
To get one for Christmas :) because it must work

Dave, I have lots of contacts that use them, I can highly recommend them. It's essentially like one of them tennis ball slingers that dog owners get, it's not too hard actually. They're also quite cheap (£20 for the club, £25 for the pro on Amazon). It would be worth experimenting with I feel!

Tumo, yeah my sons both have shown some interest in them, so I reckon they'll get one for Christmas. They definitely look useful, I'm kind of hoping because of the reduction in physical work that's required I may be able to get them both to sling the balls down a bit more regularly for me as they get knackered bowling and I need to face some good stuff. I'm assuming that with a little practice accuracy becomes relatively easy to achieve? The other thing is my older son doesn't face any fast bowling in practice when we bowl in the paddock so it'll be useful for him as well.

That is such a good idea, I've seen them and not even considered that as an option. How much practice do you reckon it takes to get the accuracy needed to test the batsman properly?

Within half an hour I was quicker and more accurate than conventional throwdowns, but was without a batter. It is something that needs practice to be really accurate and have full confidence in and I would always follow the safety instructions ie always wear full protective kit when facing, as there is still the issue of bowling the odd beamer if you catch it wrong (one that 'sticks' is less of an issue for the batter). My only gripe is that they dont do one for junior sized balls so your lad (and mine) who are under 13s next year and still playing with a 4 3/4 ball would have to face a heavier ball when batting, I appreciate its a supply and demand issue but that doesnt make it any less frustrating

Within half an hour I was quicker and more accurate than conventional throwdowns, but was without a batter. It is something that needs practice to be really accurate and have full confidence in and I would always follow the safety instructions ie always wear full protective kit when facing, as there is still the issue of bowling the odd beamer if you catch it wrong (one that 'sticks' is less of an issue for the batter). My only gripe is that they dont do one for junior sized balls so your lad (and mine) who are under 13s next year and still playing with a 4 3/4 ball would have to face a heavier ball when batting, I appreciate its a supply and demand issue but that doesnt make it any less frustrating

Sounds promising, don't the other non-pro versions accomodate the smaller ball?

Both versions of the sidearm are made to fit a full size adult ball - it is quite a snug fit and probably needs to be to get the release controllable. I think the difference between pro and standard is in the flexibility of the shaft meaning that the same action and throwing force produces a quicker outcome with the pro version

Both versions of the sidearm are made to fit a full size adult ball - it is quite a snug fit and probably needs to be to get the release controllable. I think the difference between pro and standard is in the flexibility of the shaft meaning that the same action and throwing force produces a quicker outcome with the pro version

That's what I was expecting - what about the Dog versions - I wonder if any of them have any potential, I'd expect the cup is tennis ball or similar in size - might be okay for the smaller 4.75 ball? Just the issue of the arm flexibility whether they're man enough to withstand the weight of the ball?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hyper-Pet...2?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item35b655d946

Back