Hook shot

Gothim!!!

Hook shot

Yea ummm im having a bit of a problem with the bouncer thats i have to use hook shot with.
cause at the moment if i spot one of the bouncer i just get out of their way and i really wanna put those away.
they're buggering me grrrrrrr

so any drills or ways to practice the hook shot??? without getting hit in the head :p

Re: Hook shot

i hope this can help you.
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=ijFd-RXvlTg"]YouTube - How to Play Cricket : How to Bat a Hook Shot[/ame]

No offesne, but all those videos are silly. A hook is not played by playing a pull after turning around as shown in the video.

watch this video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izSF5couS-A"]YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass batting tips 1[/ame] and wathc the next one in the series :D

m8 the biggest thing u need is confidence...

after you have plenty of that... the footwork is basic.....

BACK AND ACROSS!!!! is all u have to remember... keep your head still and eyes as level as possible.....

combine this with your confidence and you should find it a bit easier to put a bad bouncer away...

remember also that not every bouncer can be put to the boundary... some do require evasive action....so dnt be OVER confident.... i was and it resulted in my nose being broken in 2 places, and a mean concussion...

just my thoughts m8 ;)

When I first started to play I would pull/hook every bouncer but once I got a nasty bouncer which hit me on the helmet and knocked some sense into me. I think with bouncers its better to have caution. If you judge early that its a bad bouncer then you can hook it. Otherwise its better to get out of the way.

yea i agree with picking da ball early and remember play the hook shot to a ball u think u should hook i fu dont think u should then duck it straight away because wat ive been doing is leaving/ducking da ball 2 much wen i could easily hook it so picking da right ball is important.

Picking the ball early and deciding what to play is important but tbh I think it's more down to gut instinct than anything. When a ball is flying fast at your head, thinking about what to do to it becomes a lot harder so it helps if you don't have to think. Like if you've played the shot so much it becomes 'muscle memory' or if you've made a decision not to hook a certain bowler. Personally, I'm not the best at it and I just tend to go with the flow (what my brain does without asking me :p) but I guess if you're a class batsman then you can look to attack the short ball a lot more.

Hook shots is one of my favourite shots, get 'em right 85% of the times. The other 15% I get hit on the helmet, or get caught via top edge. :p

One of the very few shots I get right more often than I get wrong is the Hook, for some reason. I can't Cover Drive to save my life, but I can quite happily Hook away bouncers all day long! I think it's one of those things you're either naturally comfortable with or you're not. If you're not naturally comfortable with it, there's always going to be that nagging worry in the back of your mind that you might get hit, and as a result you might not commit 100% to the shot, in which case you're actually more likely to get hit/out.

Remember, it's not a bad thing to be getting out of the way of bouncers - for one thing it's a lot harder to get out while doing that, and after all, you can score plenty of runs on the balls that aren't bouncers if you don't get out trying to play a shot you're not comfortable with. :)

Jelly Beanz said:
Picking the ball early and deciding what to play is important but tbh I think it's more down to gut instinct than anything. When a ball is flying fast at your head, thinking about what to do to it becomes a lot harder so it helps if you don't have to think. Like if you've played the shot so much it becomes 'muscle memory' or if you've made a decision not to hook a certain bowler. Personally, I'm not the best at it and I just tend to go with the flow (what my brain does without asking me :p) but I guess if you're a class batsman then you can look to attack the short ball a lot more.

How do you pick the ball early? I pick it up really late and end up jumping up to block it. I don't know how to spot it early to get back and accross to hook it.

Sean,
Practice will make you perfect that shot.
Go to "Youtube" and search for Bob Woolmer's Batting Tips.
You will find many interesting tips on batting which covers most of the batting technique.

if you are seeing the ball well enough then try and play teh hook as late as possible, i used to struggle as i can pick the ball very early...... but i would then play my shot early as well. wait on it! then pull it.

To be honest, I struggle to pick it up early as well. I'm getting better at it with practice but that's really all you can do about it.

Actually, if I'm being honest about it, time is more of a problem. I can react pretty well the fast-ish guys, but if a medium pacer comes on straight afterwards I hit it in the air way too much.

same here! i have to get my head down (or rather over the ball) and concentrate to slower bowlers.

Last weekend i came in at no:4 we had 4o runs on the board. not a seamer in site. a left arm pie at one end and medium accurate the other end. I played my most conservative innings yet! watched every ball. hit the bad ones! made 48....... felt like a century to me.

take your time fella it will come.

Back