Horizontal shots

Horizontal shots

i have trouble playing horizontal shots like the cut and the hook/pull i seem to edge the cut often and with the pull i miss it. And i cant sweep. Can someone help me. Horizontal shots arent comfortable for me. My grip is high on handle and my batlift is where i open the face to slips, And my stance is wider than shoulder width in a crouched position. Im quite short and 15 and i would really like to Cut and Pull. Because if anythings outside off i just leave it, if i try to cut i edge it or miss it. My grip is the orthodox grip with V's in line pointing down the back of the bat.

Re: Horizontal shots

Mate go to about 4.57 in this clip and watch the best play the shot.. Stanley Joseph McCabe

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=rSjK_l5PqfA"]YouTube - Donald Bradman's Great Innings[/ame]

You need to move back & across to the off-side to play either shot correctly.. it's basically the same movement except you don't pivot with the cut shot

Also I've found that you have to take the bat quite high to play either of them effectively.. your bat might be too heavy.. the bloke in this clip wouldn't have had anything heavier than a 2'4 which is a harrow bat these days..

yeh as im in a crouched position i dont have a high batlift plus your right my bats a little heavy for me but im not buying a new one yet.

Footwork and where you bring the bat down from. (I'm not sure how to illustrate this on the computer... but...)

You should be aiming to hit "over" the ball: The bat should follow a downward path as it travels towards the ball, rather that directly horizontal, or upwards (think sachin tendulkar uppercut)... That was a terrible explanation, but hopefully somebody understands it and can paraphrase it a little nicer.

Ripping-LegBreak;28620 said:
yeh as im in a crouched position i dont have a high batlift plus your right my bats a little heavy for me but im not buying a new one yet.

Is it possible for you to post a video of your batting.

Back