How do I get more pace?

Jonesy

How do I get more pace?

Hi, I'm new, some of the guys from cWW might know me.

I'm a pace bowler, and I believe I am a medium pace bowler, however I have never asked anyone about it. I get LOADS of outswing, my team mates say that even at the end of the game I still can get it to swing. But one thing I am lacking is pace. I have been told that to bowl outswing it is better to not have too much pace, but I believe I could increase my pace and still get the same amount of swing. I have tried running in faster but that often makes me stuff up my action and delivery stride.

Is there any way I can become faster?

Much appreciated.

Re: How do I get more pace?

Jonesy said:
Hi, I'm new, some of the guys from cWW might know me.

I'm a pace bowler, and I believe I am a medium pace bowler, however I have never asked anyone about it. I get LOADS of outswing, my team mates say that even at the end of the game I still can get it to swing. But one thing I am lacking is pace. I have been told that to bowl outswing it is better to not have too much pace, but I believe I could increase my pace and still get the same amount of swing. I have tried running in faster but that often makes me stuff up my action and delivery stride.

Is there any way I can become faster?

Much appreciated.

Maximum help can only be provided if you post a video of your action but I can take a guess at what your problem is.

I believe that you have the same problem as Matthew Hoggard in that you close your front foot in your action off which means you bowl 'around your body' and consequently swing it away at the expense of your side muscles and pace.

Ask a coach or friend to take a look at your feet position - side on or front on, your front foot should be in a slightly more open position compared to your back foot.

Hmm, thanks for that. That is interesting because in batting I have the opposite problem sometime (used to have it heaps but I kinda grew out of it). I open my foot too much, as in when the ball i on the offside, my front foot was pointing outside of legstump at the bowlers end.

Looking at what you said, and a quick glance at my front foot when bowling I reckon I might close it off.

Thanks heaps, I will take a look at it and muck around with it at training tomorrow.

Thanks heaps.

Hi Jonesy, Welcome!

Post your question in the Fitness and Nutrition Forum. There is a lot we can help you with but it would help if you could let us know how old you are.

In the meantime, increasing the run up speed is not going to help!

Ahk. I'm 14, btw. I know you're probably don't try and bowl too fast at that age, but I don't want to bowl express, just adequate speed.

Jonesy said:
Ahk. I'm 14, btw. I know you're probably don't try and bowl too fast at that age

Why not?

Bowl fast --> terrorise batsmen your own age --> Take loads of wickets --> Get county trials --> Get coaching there for accuracy and the rest of it

:)

No worries about fast bowling at your age, especially swing, it is more to do with how we get you there!

manee said:
Why not?

Bowl fast --> terrorise batsmen your own age --> Take loads of wickets --> Get county trials --> Get coaching there for accuracy and the rest of it

:)

Hahaha. I've faced someone who does that, he is bloody fast. Oh, and it's state, not county :p

So, what are you saying Liz?

Liz Ward said:
No worries about fast bowling at your age, especially swing, it is more to do with how we get you there!

Liz is right, I was just being overly simplistic. She is talking about building the base to success through good fitness and a good action.

Post the question in the Fitness and Nutrition Forum, your problem is more to do with power and the kinetic chain than technique.

Either David or I will be able to help you.

Back