How far is too far. (batting stance problem)

Ok so in yesterdays game I was opening and usually i'm pretty solid and can hold up an end while my partner plays his shots... but yesterday the bowling attack had a strong wind to work into from one end and with from the other, I was fine with the bowler going with the wind and handled him well but with guy coming into the wind i really struggled and even ended up getting out to him, the main reason of this was he was swinging the ball like nobodies business and bowled me around my legs in the end. anyway I was wondering what are peoples views on how far out of you crease you should come to negate the effects of a swing bowler, I usually bat with the centre of my body over the crease because I like to have as much time as i can to watch the ball plus i've found it usually makes the opening bowlers ************ their line because they're used to people being outside their crease and i'm right back usually getting a couple of nice half volleys before they can adjust their line enough.

so In short where is a good place to bat for a swing bowler?

Ok so in yesterdays game I was opening and usually i'm pretty solid and can hold up an end while my partner plays his shots... but yesterday the bowling attack had a strong wind to work into from one end and with from the other, I was fine with the bowler going with the wind and handled him well but with guy coming into the wind i really struggled and even ended up getting out to him, the main reason of this was he was swinging the ball like nobodies business and bowled me around my legs in the end. anyway I was wondering what are peoples views on how far out of you crease you should come to negate the effects of a swing bowler, I usually bat with the centre of my body over the crease because I like to have as much time as i can to watch the ball plus i've found it usually makes the opening bowlers badger their line because they're used to people being outside their crease and i'm right back usually getting a couple of nice half volleys before they can adjust their line enough.

so In short where is a good place to bat for a swing bowler?
I think the best place is where you are comfortable. If you like the centre of your body over the crease, then keep it that way.

You want to remove all the variables and keep things the same until you reach an autonomous stage of learning. I don't think it helps much to move forward or backward, particularly when you are learning. You need to keep things the same and practice perfectly until you get everything right. If you are having trouble playing swing bowling, I would hedge my bets there are other problems. This is at club level so these bowlers aren't unplayable, if you are having trouble I would think it was because of something else. Once you have it mastered, then you can muck around with things like that.

But to actually answer your question, I think it depends on the bowler. If they are swinging it in late, I'd go forward to try and counter it. A bowler who swings it late will swing at the same time as it decreases in pace, it has to find the speed that's right for swinging, so if you go forward you might not have as much time to react, but the swing is less, and that's the dangerous part.

If the bowler is swinging it gently all the way, and especially at pace, I'd go back to give you a longer look at it to determine where it's going to end up. If you have long enough to look at it even if it completely bananas around you should be able to predict where it will end up and play it comfortably. Unfortunately a cricket pitch offers you only a couple of metres to play with, so you might as well go back as far as possible.

Good advice boris, I plan on getting in behind the ball machine this afternoon at training and setting up some swinger bowling with it just to work out some kinks.

Back