How much do umpires make?

dude119

How much do umpires make?

Do the umpires earn a good amount of money? Its a very tiring job plus they have to concentrate for the whole duration of the match unlike the players. They get a lot of stick too if they make any mistake. So I think they must be earning good money or why would anyone want to become an umpire.

Re: How much do umpires make?

I heard that Rudi Kursten (sp?) earned US$700,000 for 7 or so months work. So they do earn very good money. And lets not forget that they have the best seat in the house to every game of cricket the umpire :D

From what I read they make $440 per hour. Its lesser than what most players earn. I think its low considering all the work they do.
jimmy33 said:
I heard that Rudi Kursten (sp?) earned US$700,000 for 7 or so months work. So they do earn very good money. And lets not forget that they have the best seat in the house to every game of cricket the umpire :D
lol They do have a good view but they have to stand all day and they cant afford to relax.

Standing in test matches can be... yeah... tiring. ODI's - I think it shouldn't be all that hard. and A_A, no1 would mind $440 per hour! ^^

The $440/hour figure is about right for a one day match but the umpires' earnings in a test match are significantly lower. They earn US $6600 per test and US $3300 per ODI. They also get a yearly retainer. Adding it all up, I think they earn a six figure salary per year.

Yeah, but too much travel can be hectic at times. For example four ODI matches in the space of 10 days at 4 different venues. You have to move 4 times in 10 days, kinda hectic if you ask me.

its a good amount of money but i wouldnt want to be an umpire because frankly i think its too boring and you have to stay away from home for a long time.

Yup Taufel might be leaving because of the hectic schedule and staying away from home for so long. I hope we dont lose the best umpire in the world.

Back