How much fitness do you do?

storm

How much fitness do you do?

How mush fitness do you guys do?
Now that i got the p90x dvd im trying to complete an hour session each day, im also trying to increase my amount of push ups and core excersises.

Also any idea how much fitness work the pros do?

Re: How much fitness do you do?

Fitness work will vary depending on the time of the year. Obviously, it'll be more during pre-season and less during the season. Duration wise, possibly a few hours per day, spread out and working on various areas.

Personally, I could do with doing a lot more but just don't have the time at the moment.

We're probably just under two months away from starting our season, so right now i'm focusing on developing my overall strength base.

In the way of resistance training...

Three gym sessions a week on non consecutive days- rotating through two different workouts (workout a and b) based around compound movements; squats, deadlifts, bench press, dips, bentover rows/ power cleans (when i've got a reliable person with me), pull ups, chin ups, overhead press (/ variations of: push press, "thrusters").

On in between days I generally do some lighter isolation work (for aesthetic sake, haha. vanity ain't so bad) and core work - prone bridge, side bridges, woodchops, reverse crunches, mountain climbers, hip raises. Also some single leg body weight stuff - single leg squats, really light (20% - 25% 1RM) single leg deadlifts, lunges and side lunges, light good mornings (/ even lighter good morning squats. intense exercise). And shoulder health stuff - internal and external rotations, etc. I consider the bulk of these exercises to be supplementary at the moment, and don't mind missing a day off session to avoid burnout.

I don't do a hell of a lot of cardio training right now. I'm a bit behind where i'd like to be in my strength platform right now, but in about two weeks my workouts will change dramatically. Shifting focus from developing strength, to maintaining it and incorporating a signifcantly larger amount of single leg exercises, and bigger complex movements to develop power - light (35 -50% 1rm) olympic lifts, burpees, turkish get ups, jump squats, bench throws. Each day i'll incorporate a fair amount of cardio, but mainly i'll focus on three time a - with a high focus on interval training, 20 meter sprints, with a sprinkling of longer distance running just to refurnish "my engine".

But yeah, i'm probably 2 weeks behind where i'd like to be at this time of the season. And that's my comprehensive Mat fitness plan, haha.

You know the tightness you get the next day after a workout, is there anyway to stop that? cause i dont really have time to take breaks.

I just wrote a huge thing and then realised that you were probably doing home work-outs if you're using the DVD. Bummer.

To avoid stiffness, start your workouts with some dynamic stretching. dynamic stretching will help you warm up and increase your natural range of motion, without inhibiting muscle function. Finish your work outs with a comprehensive cool down - include core work in your cool down as it's been shown to aid lactace clearance, and pay a good amount of attention to increasing your flexibility.

I train 4 times a week at the moment (late English season)

Monday: Interval training in the gym for 30 minutes doing complexes and circuit work
Wednesday: Strength training with a focus on core strength (40-45 minutes). Cricket training in the evening (1 hour or so).
Thursday: Same as monday.
Saturday: 50 over cricket match.
Sunday: Strength training as Wednesday.

I just changed mine, i do

monday: 1 hour core strengthening, 1 hour of bodyweight exercises, push ups etc and then repeat again later on in the day.
Tuesday: 1 hour core strengthening, 45 mins plyometrics, 30 mins working shoulders and arms
Wensday: 1 hour core strengthening, bodywhieght exercises and then stretching
Thursday: 30 mins core strengthening, 1 hour shoulder and arm exercises and finish with AB workout
Friday: 1 hour core strengthening,1 hour bodyweight exercising and then 2 hour training session
Saturday 50 over cricket
Sunday 50 over cricket if not then 1 hour core strengthening, should and arm workout as well with body weight exercising

also everyday i work my rotar cuffs for 30 mins because my right ones weak and before bed and lunch i do 20 mins worth of planks.

Strewth! You must be knackered! I take it you use a 4lb bat and hit the ball for 6 everytime you make contact with it! Makes me feel knackered just reading this stuff - but then I am 48! MV's profiles says he's a village cricketer - I bet the England team don't even do that much!

hmmmmm well i play cricket on a saturday! maybe train in the week if its not wet!

Oh and i do walk to work a couple of times a week?

and the misses use the Wii Fit, but apart from that no training as such!!!! :)

storm;29047 said:
I just changed mine, i do

monday: 1 hour core strengthening, 1 hour of bodyweight exercises, push ups etc and then repeat again later on in the day.
Tuesday: 1 hour core strengthening, 45 mins plyometrics, 30 mins working shoulders and arms
Wensday: 1 hour core strengthening, bodywhieght exercises and then stretching
Thursday: 30 mins core strengthening, 1 hour shoulder and arm exercises and finish with AB workout
Friday: 1 hour core strengthening,1 hour bodyweight exercising and then 2 hour training session
Saturday 50 over cricket
Sunday 50 over cricket if not then 1 hour core strengthening, should and arm workout as well with body weight exercising

also everyday i work my rotar cuffs for 30 mins because my right ones weak and before bed and lunch i do 20 mins worth of planks.

What sort of intensity are you doing these workouts at? And what sort of things are you doing in the core strengthening and bodyweight sessions?

And dave - re-reading it, it sounds like a lot more than it is. Plus it's our pre season right now, so the load is slightly larger. I've also reconciled myself to the fact that i'm not going to be playing for Australia any time soon, so i'm trying to build a bigger strength platform and play my first season of rugby next year (hopefully!).

nearly all my workouts are the p90x workouts, each workout is sort of my limit at the moment, the core is only an hour cause i can only last that long, same with the others.
I do take extra 30 second breaks from the dvd where they dont so i can get some water and air lol.

What sort of stuff is involved with the p90x stuff?

It's just, for me, one hour of strictly core excercises plus another hour of bodyweight excercise seems like a hell of a load.

i'm hoping to start a new fitness regimen.

I want to mix weight lifting with some cardiovascular activities

My weight routine is a circuit and looks something like this:
-Pull ups (8-10) assisted
-Lat pull down (10-12)
-DB bench press (10-12)
-Squats (10-12)
-Dead lift (10-12)
rest 2 minutes and repeat.

Since i am starting back in the gym after quite some time, I went through a couple circuits at low weight. I'll be looking to build strength over the next few months.

I really need to work on my squatting form, but that shouldn't be a problem - just need to focus on technique.

As far as cardio goes: My plan is to run 10-15 minutes at good pace once or twice a week, with a sprint workout once a week (probably on a weekend).

I'm pretty busy with school so if anything gets the axe, it will be cardio.

does anyone have any advice or input as to what I should be doing?

My goals are mainly general physical fitness and strength building, which I figure will translate to cricket as well.

I don't do nearly enough fitness really. During the summer I barely do any but during the rugby season we do fitness stuff at every training session and set routines with weights in PE for some of the year.

Back