How to Bowl the Wrongun

Sumo Boy

How to Bowl the Wrongun

Can someone please describe to me how to bowl the Wrongun.

If you can find a very good video please give link otherwise just describe.

Thanks.

Re: How to Bowl the Wrongun

Sumo Boy;385000 said:

Thanks.

The important question is do you have a good Leg Break? If you've not got a good leg break - one that turns well and you can put it on a good line and length, you're going to do far more damage than good to your bowling.

If you have I can then start to show explain how.

Here's me bowling one assisted by some rough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svjEQWOIAiA not that it's of any help to be honest but worth a laugh!

Have a look at the Terry Jenner on-line tutorials they're quite good....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RReQEecD0GA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlWYcuaTosc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfZgFi9Q9gc&feature=related

Warney is there as well, but the Jenner ones I think are easier to understand. But as I said earlier don't go there unless you've got your Leg Break sussed and you're taking shed loads of wickets with your Leg Break. Otherwise you're going to end up with the Googly Syndrome.

also dont over-practice it. mix it in amongst leg break practice or its too easy to end up with googly syndrome. dave is better qualified on the details of that though having had it himself! i still havent figured out how to bowl the wrong'un. it just makes no sense to me at all, my shoulder simply wont go there.

Assuming you have got a Leg Break and you've looked at the videos and my Wrong Un blog (See below). You have to do the following..............

1. Use a very straight arm - vertical at 12.00 o'clock.
2. Grip the ball in the same way that you would for your leg break emphasising the contact with the ball using your 3rd (Spinning) finger along the seam, but have the rest of your hand very loosely cradling the ball - it needs to come off that 3rd finger primarily.
4.This next bit you can try at home.....Hold your arm out in front of you so your palm is facing the ground. Now rotate your hand using your shoulder, elbow and wrist joints anti-clockwise so that your palm is facing the ceiling with your thumb pointing out towards to the right. This is the position your arm, wrist and hand all need to be trying to get into at the point of release.
5. As you rotate through your action dip your leading shoulder slightly just prior to releasing.
6. Give the wrist a big flick and the ball will snap audibly off the 3rd finger.

Trouble is - all that's easy enough, the thing is it's such a cock-eyed way of bowling a wrist spin variation that if you get obsessive about it you'll get to a point where you'll possibly see it beginning to happen but without the accuracy and as we all know the only way to accuracy is to practice and practice and practice still more. But what you'll be doing though is re-wiring your brain into bowling in a manner that some maintain is a more natural way of bowling. The thing is if you go down that route - yeah you'll get yourself a nice Wrong Un but you really do run the risk of losing the Leg Break.

You might then think - ah well I'll be a wrong un bowling off-spinner. Trouble is at the end of the 1st or 2nd season you'll see that your figurers are rubbish and you'll be realising you need the Leg Break back. That might take another season to recover.

What you could do though is - if you do have a good leg break go for the intensive training approach and maybe bowl your Leg Break every 12 balls and see if it's still there? Maybe be our test case guinea pig and let us know ho you get on?

i think even if youve got a fairly inconsistent wrong'un, its still useful though. if i could even get my arm to bowl one then id use it in match situations. even if it lands 3 feet wide and goes for 4, if you use it once or twice every match in a 5 over spell then at some point during the season its going to land accurately and bag a wicket. as opposed to not having one, and potentially not taking that wicket. having a ball that turns the other way can be easily over-used and over-rated (just look at some of my youtube comments, all people seem to care about is that i dont have a wrong'un lol), but in certain situations it is a deadly variation, and can do things that straight balls cant (which is what all the other variations essentially are).

i think its probably the most patience-requiring variation of them all. i reckon you need to develop it over several years of sporadic practice and usage to ensure that it doesnt hinder your leg breaks, i think trying to master it in one season is only ever going to end badly. and in developing it slowly youll gradually find more accuracy and consistency, without losing your leg break. thats got to be how the pros do it. or maybe its easier to learn when youre a kid and your muscles are still developing, whereas those of us who are no longer teenagers will always struggle to avoid the googly syndrome? who knows.

Jim2109;385112 said:
i think even if youve got a fairly inconsistent wrong'un, its still useful though. if i could even get my arm to bowl one then id use it in match situations. even if it lands 3 feet wide and goes for 4, if you use it once or twice every match in a 5 over spell then at some point during the season its going to land accurately and bag a wicket. as opposed to not having one, and potentially not taking that wicket. having a ball that turns the other way can be easily over-used and over-rated (just look at some of my youtube comments, all people seem to care about is that i dont have a wrong'un lol), but in certain situations it is a deadly variation, and can do things that straight balls cant (which is what all the other variations essentially are).

i think its probably the most patience-requiring variation of them all. i reckon you need to develop it over several years of sporadic practice and usage to ensure that it doesnt hinder your leg breaks, i think trying to master it in one season is only ever going to end badly. and in developing it slowly youll gradually find more accuracy and consistency, without losing your leg break. thats got to be how the pros do it. or maybe its easier to learn when youre a kid and your muscles are still developing, whereas those of us who are no longer teenagers will always struggle to avoid the googly syndrome? who knows.

Those youtubers are a bunch of **** when they leave those comments.

someblokecalleddave;385113 said:
Those youtubers are a bunch of **** when they leave those comments.

i quite enjoy the banter. one of the better comments simply read "not out" on my flipper video because it missed the stumps lol. inside edge onto the stumps, edged and caught, caught and bowled or caught in the deep obviously didnt register in their thinking. they were probably a batsman, all batsmen are negative about leg spin bowling. its because they are petrified of it and its their coping mechanism. im working on my sledging for next year, youtube gives me practice :D

back to the topic at hand anyways...

Jim2109;385115 said:
i quite enjoy the banter. one of the better comments simply read "not out" on my flipper video because it missed the stumps lol. inside edge onto the stumps, edged and caught, caught and bowled or caught in the deep obviously didnt register in their thinking. they were probably a batsman, all batsmen are negative about leg spin bowling. its because they are petrified of it and its their coping mechanism. im working on my sledging for next year, youtube gives me practice :D

back to the topic at hand anyways...

Yeah - I get the feeling that they really hate Legspin bowling, the bloke at my nets last night and last week gives me the impression that it or I get right under his skin. He's looking to smash the ball through the far distant roof of the sports hall with every single ball, and last night if I think about it he may have even tried to engineer where I was bowling in order that I didn't end up in his net. But as soon as he had his pads on I was there working away trying to suss him out. If you read the entry last night it seems as though in just 2 sessions I've already made big advances. He seems to relish the fast stuff off the big macho fast bowlers with all their aggression, furrowed brows and sweat and gives me the impression that he'd feel okay if he was dismissed by them. But he's mortified at the prospects that he could be bowled out by an old bloke that bowls at 37mph and has only been bowling for 4 years!!!

Assuming you have got a Leg Break and you've looked at the videos and my Wrong Un blog (See below). You have to do the following..............

1. Use a very straight arm - vertical at 12.00 o'clock.
2. Grip the ball in the same way that you would for your leg break emphasising the contact with the ball using your 3rd (Spinning) finger along the seam, but have the rest of your hand very loosely cradling the ball - it needs to come off that 3rd finger primarily.
4.This next bit you can try at home.....Hold your arm out in front of you so your palm is facing the ground. Now rotate your hand using your shoulder, elbow and wrist joints anti-clockwise so that your palm is facing the ceiling with your thumb pointing out towards to the right. This is the position your arm, wrist and hand all need to be trying to get into at the point of release.
5. As you rotate through your action dip your leading shoulder slightly just prior to releasing.
6. Give the wrist a big flick and the ball will snap audibly off the 3rd finger.

Trouble is - all that's easy enough, the thing is it's such a cock-eyed way of bowling a wrist spin variation that if you get obsessive about it you'll get to a point where you'll possibly see it beginning to happen but without the accuracy and as we all know the only way to accuracy is to practice and practice and practice still more. But what you'll be doing though is re-wiring your brain into bowling in a manner that some maintain is a more natural way of bowling. The thing is if you go down that route - yeah you'll get yourself a nice Wrong Un but you really do run the risk of losing the Leg Break.

You might then think - ah well I'll be a wrong un bowling off-spinner. Trouble is at the end of the 1st or 2nd season you'll see that your figurers are rubbish and you'll be realising you need the Leg Break back. That might take another season to recover.

What you could do though is - if you do have a good leg break go for the intensive training approach and maybe bowl your Leg Break every 12 balls and see if it's still there? Maybe be our test case guinea pig and let us know ho you get on?

I really started to get the wrong un to work at the nets tonight at about 15m I found if I took my thumb off the ball I got enough flexibilty to get the wrist working properly.
Dave I know you have practiced it a lot (too much)and was wondering about your experiences learning it, like did you find your flexibilty increased. I find I have to turn my arm in to its limit to get the back of my hand facing the batsman. Also I like to have my thumb on the ball just for the feeling of control I get. do you have your thumb on the ball when you bowl the wrong un. Can you bowl it without a noticable difference to your action. I found I had to dip the left shoulder a fair bit to get it to work too.
I bowled about 10 in a row and then went back to leg breaks and noticed the difference and it took a couple of balls to get the wrist back in the leg break position. Its really strange that after bowling thousands of leg breaks a few wrong uns can make you forget it so quickly. When the ball really turns the other way it really is exciting though. I guess its a bit like gold fever, very hard not to get carried away.

Lots of good advice already.

A bit of underarm wrongun/leggie work is helpful. At release you spin with your third finger but the ball leaves behind the 4th finger for the wrongun. Elbow pointing up and try and really finish with the back of the hand right around facing the ground.

Lots of good advice already.

A bit of underarm wrongun/leggie work is helpful. At release you spin with your third finger but the ball leaves behind the 4th finger for the wrongun. Elbow pointing up and try and really finish with the back of the hand right around facing the ground.[/quote

I couldn't work out how to bowl it at all until someone showed me that it leaves behind the little finger and dropping the left shoulder so I could get the back of the hand facing the ground. They certainly are the keys to it. At the moment it feels like I have to strain and stretch to my absolute limit to get it to work. It is so hard to get your head around what is going on when it all happens behind you out of sight.

Chippy Ben your Gold fever analogy is a good un because it's exactly like that. You have a go at it and nothing's doing and then there's a hint of turn and that spurs you on. You're then thinking 'No this aint working' and then suddenly one turns nice and you're back on it again, next thing you know you're looking at the time and you realise you've just spent 2 hours bowling wrong uns and you've got Philpott on one shoulder dressed in his white angel outfit saying 'thou shallt not bowl the wrong one too much it is the work of the Devil and you will rot in hell and damnation' and on the other shoulder you've got a devil saying Stuff him what's he know, go on bowl the wrong un, just a few more - you know you want to! So being a bloke of fine standing and not being easily corrupted you say to yourself 'Right I'll turn over a few Leg Breaks and just check to see if its okay''. You chuck a few down and they don't turm much and you say to yourself 'Nah- that's okay, you just get days when that happens, it's nothing to do with the Wrong Un - I'll be okay - I can handle it- I'm not addicted - I'm not a user of Wrong Uns. And you get back on the Wrong Uns and one turns again and you've had your fix again and you're looking for more and more and more..........

Next thing you know you're in rehab - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-oHhBzcK7g and you're all washed up trying to go a day without reaching for the wrong un fix looking at months of cold turkey.

Re your questions

Dave I know you have practiced it a lot (too much)and was wondering about your experiences learning it, like did you find your flexibilty increased. I find I have to turn my arm in to its limit to get the back of my hand facing the batsman. Also I like to have my thumb on the ball just for the feeling of control I get. do you have your thumb on the ball when you bowl the wrong un. Can you bowl it without a noticable difference to your action. I found I had to dip the left shoulder a fair bit to get it to work too.
Yeah I had to start using a whole bunch of different muscles and nearly caused myself an injury to the rotator cuff which is potentially really serious and requires surgey in order to fix it. I found that like you I was having to twist everything the wrong way - shoulder joint, arm, elbow and wrist to get it all round and at the same time I found that I could REALLY whip and flick the ball out of the fingers using all the mechanisms. At the time I remember writing about it and coming up with the analogy of it being like a whip. Thing is with a whip the handle is kind of replicated by your shoulder joint and the amount of stress that the shoulder was being put under was immense - you think of a whip and how tightly you have to grip the handle in order for all the energy to dissipate through the length to the crack of the whip at the end.

The thumb does sit on the ball gently, but I don't think it does much. I would say that it is obvious when I bowl the wrong un, but you can be the judge of that by having a look - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJlM5gaJ93Y with my action having changed at the end of the season this year, it looks as though I don't have to dip the shoulders as dramatically as I used to with the old action.

How to Bowl the Wrongun

Thanks.

Good to see that Sumo Boy appreciates our input and has got back to us with regards to whether he thinks our comments are useful or not.

I attempted 4 wrong uns at training tonight. 2 were wides, 1 turned nicely but was far too short and 1 landed quite full and yorked the batsman and bowled him. It only turned very slightly though and it was only the fact that he didn't make it a full toss and got yorked and simply missed it that got the wicket so Im not claiming it.
The frustrating thing is that I reckon if I really practiced it for a few weeks I reckon I could get it landing nicely. But I dare not do it too much. I'll have to just accept it is going to be a slow process and hopefully in a year or so I can get them working consistantly.
Our best batsman came to training tonight and I had him playing and missing quite a bit which frustrated him so he tried coming down the wicket to me and missed a few and got stumped. Anyway another guy in our team who doesn't really get a bowl had a new ball and was bowling nice outswingers and troubling everyone. A few guys got together and said why don't we swap the two of you and give him the new ball and you bowl legspin. I said you bloody beauty but we will have to convince the captain. The problem is its a top of the table clash this weekend and I reckon they wont want to risk it.
My confidence is sky high at the moment and my line and length is the best its ever been so heres hoping.

Back