How to buy a Cricket Bat!

mas cambios

How to buy a Cricket Bat!

So the day has arrived and you're all set to go off and find the bat of your dreams. Then the thought hits " am I looking for", "What size do I Need" or even "What does a good bat look like"?
Hopefully over the course of this article I'll help to answer those questions and maybe even a few you didn't even consider!

SIZE

Along with the weight of the bat, size is a crucial thing and you need to make sure that you get it right. A wrongly sized bat can disrupt your balance, concentration and worse of all your technique. The sizing guide below is a good indicator of what you're going to need at any given age.

Bat-Sizing3.jpg

WEIGHT

This is very difficult area to give advice on and I often say that it's down to the individual. Personally I like average weighted bats in the 2lb 10 region, however you make like them heavier or indeed lighter. The way to get this right is to get out there and try a range of bats. Get into your stance, play a shot or two, just get used to the feel and you'll soon get a sense of what's right for you.

Once you have a general idea and you've narrowed down the model of bat you like, it's always an idea to try out a bat about an oz either side, just in case it has a light or heavy pick-up.

THE BAT

Hopefully by now you have a clear idea of what you're looking for. You know the size and weight and have narrowed it down to one or two models.

This often leads to the question of "well, what is a good bat?" and this will often come down to what you're looking for it to do.

Batsmen are obviously going to want the finer things in life whereas we poor old bowlers may just need something to get us through the last few overs. No matter what you are there are a few general pointers to look at.

1. What grade is the willow?

Most makers grade the willow according to looks and playability. As rule of thumb, the better the grade, then the better the wood which in theory will mean a better blade. Always get the best you can afford, however, be aware that even the most scarred looking bat could be a belter! So don't be afraid to have a tap up!

2. Grain

The popular theory goes that the more grains a bat has then the better it'll play and I tend to go along with this in general. It works as the tighter grain tends to come from the youngest section of the trees and is therefore the springiest.

A good bat will have around 6 " 12 nice, clear, straight grains. Again, this will depend on the grade of willow, so don't expect a lower grade to have as many straight grains as a higher grade but with a little bit of searching you may get a bargain.

3. Blemishes

Nothing more than a minor inconvenience really, however it's always an idea to avoid bats with heavy blemishing around the "Sweet spot". Theory dictates that the wood will be harder and therefore not play as well. I'd say avoid it as it takes away from the look of the bat.

That is really all there is to it!

Re: How to buy a Cricket Bat!

Extras!

It's also worth spending a moment or two discussing the pick up of the bat. The pick up relates to the balance of the bat - where is the weight situated? The higher the middle then the lighter the bat will feel as the bulk is closer to your hands. On the other hand bat with a low middle will feel heavier. A bat with a great pick up may allow you to go for a heavier\lighter bat than you'd normally use without noticing any difference.

Quick Tips!

Some places will allow you to bounce an old ball on the blade to see how it plays, worth doing so ask.

Don't be afraid to haggle over the price - at the very least you may walk away with a free cover or grip.

Lastly, it's your bat so take your time when choosing, try a few out and compare things such as weight and pick up, you'l be amazed at how they can differ.

Wow that's an awesome guide. I'll definitely use this when I go out to buy my next bat next month. :)

This is what I used to do when purchasing from a store:

I'd go to the most expensive & highly rated bat in the shop (or even better bring your own beaut!), whack it a few times with a mallet. Then carry that bat around with you whilst you look at the other bats, use the mallet on other bats you are actually interested in purchasing and try to replicate the sound & rebound from the top of the line bat. When you've got 9-10 that are really nice bats, pick them all up.

Some you will disregard straight away due to weight but find one that feels nice in the hands. If you can't find any that feel nice, walk away and try another shop. There's no point having a nice pinging bat if you can't swing it!

Finally I look at the willow, straight grains, no heartwood. Whatever you prefer on a bat!

Nowadays I tend to pick my willow but this is what I used to do.

Back