How to develop concentration for batting

mas cambios

How to develop concentration for batting

This is a bit of an odd drill to be honest and one that I was originally taught in A' level PE as part of a sport psychology module.

However, I think it's something that can used to aid concentration when batting, especially as it makes you focus on the ball for a second or two whilst making a decision.

For this drill you will need:

1. A variety of different coloured balls
2. Bat
3. A partner

The idea is that your partner will give you simple throw-downs using the coloured balls. As each ball is thrown down the aim is to play a shot depending on the colour of the ball. It may work out like this:

Red - Forward Defensive
Blue - Sweep
Green - Back Foot Shot
Yellow - Back Defensive
White - Drive (any type)

The quality of the stroke is less important than picking the correct one to play.

A slight variation on this would be to use to a split ball (half red\half white) and play only play a shot depending on which side you thought the white half was on. So, if it was on leg play in the leg side. I guess this could be used as a beginner's drill to the above.

Re: How to develop concentration for batting

Thats a great drill idea, thanks man!

When I'm batting when the bowler is running in i just tell myself "Watch the ball" over and over. I also do this when I'm slip fielding.

There is the method where you have to teach yourself to concentrate for small periods of time (say 5/6 seconds) and then relax in-between balls to help preserve your mental strength.

I'll dig it up and post an article about it when I get a chance.

Great drill! I have read this earlier but never tried it out!

nice drill, got anymore? I'm definitely gonna try this. Probably will tape tennis balls or try to find colored balls that are the same size/shape but vary in color.

Hi hp and welcome to the site!

I'm in the process of gathering up some more concentration drills so watch this space!

thanks,
I tried this drill out today but with 4 balls only. It worked quite well except it was hard to hide the ball from the hand. So me and my brother did a baseball styled pitching so that we couldn't guess the color of the ball so easily.

It helps calming you down as well. I like to play lots of shots and this drill helps practice for keeping calm during a game. By having certain balls for defense only it reminds you not to play a rash shot at the wrong time.

plz solve my problem in batting.

since i play in INDIA the pitch are not flat and unnatural bounce occurs....so now a days i often miss ou the half volleys and medium pace short pitch balls.....and wen ever im with helmet i think that i cannot handle my self so often get out fast and suffer....plz help.

You feel uncomfortable wearing the helmet. Maybe it could be the problem with the helmet. You should get one that is more comfortable.

Wearing Helmet is an Individual choice.
To overcome the half volley's & short pitched deliveries; practice some throwdowns with one of Ur teammate.
Also try to practice with Ball-on-string at home if possible.
Secondly;In which part of India u play?

smartfrndaddy said:
plz solve my problem in batting.

since i play in INDIA the pitch are not flat and unnatural bounce occurs....so now a days i often miss ou the half volleys and medium pace short pitch balls.....and wen ever im with helmet i think that i cannot handle my self so often get out fast and suffer....plz help.

You need to find a way to replicate the uneven bounce when you practise. I'm not sure what you have access to but if your outdoors playing try to rough the pitch up on a good length to help mimic the unevenness.

for wat reason does all googd batsman hit the pitch after playing balls...is it a show or they check somethin???wat does they check??
i m frm kolkata.

May be one of many things, they may be patting down a bit of the pitch, moving some lose turf, could be a mental thing to help them focus or just a sub concious action that they aren't really aware of doing.

A_A; do u think that patting down a bit of the pitch is done at the rough patches mostly created by fast bowler's shoe spikes because the batsmen's focus factor is also in it.
Smartfrndaddy; Happy to read u r from Kolkata :)

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
A_A; do u think that patting down a bit of the pitch is done at the rough patches mostly created by fast bowler's shoe spikes because the batsmen's focus factor is also in it.

That is a good question but I'd say that it's more general. Mostly they would be patting down or brushing off bits of turf that have come loose from the bowlers spikes, rather than concentrating on the rough patches.

Indeed, they could matters worse by creating an even bigger difference unless they were diligent in their gardening.

Back