How to fix DVCA 2024/2025 onwards.

Step 1: Reintroduce Shield and Shield Reserve.

What's the benefits of this?? Reasoning; give 5 positives.
Scheduling of the Shield and Shield Reserve would be significantly easier.

This year we had our 6th grade play in the main oval, whilst our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th Grades played away.

Later on in the year we had 5 teams play at home, meaning the twos were on the back oval (good but not great oval). We had to buy additional stumps and scoreboards.

This is enough of a benefit.

Second benefit. Scheduling for the remaining grades would become far easier.

Third benefit. Would create greater interest between the clubs for that round of cricket.

Name a club who would be disadvantaged by this move.

I agree that the culture benefits of 1's and 2's playing the same teams creates some great chat among the teams.

Yes, scheduling will be easier, and yes, the impacted clubs aren't significant, but there's some anomalies.

Rosebank - now in Money, has their 2's in D grade, so that's a great disparity.
Banyule, Lalor Stars and Mont's 2's are currently in B grade, so that's a dropping of standards for them - to equiv C grade.
Macleod, Bundoora, Research 2's are currently in C grade, so that's a step up in standards for them - to equiv B grade.
Mernda's 2's are in B grade, so that's a major drop of standards for them - to equiv D grade.

Scheduling can't be the only reason to revert back, as I think the scheduling has easier fixes than just this.

Should teams play where they are graded to play?
Or do teams (2's) fluctuate that much anyway with players arriving/departing clubs each year and players being unavailable during the year make their 2's a more fluid combination each week / year.

It's a 50/50 for me.

I agree that the culture benefits of 1's and 2's playing the same teams creates some great chat among the teams.

Yes, scheduling will be easier, and yes, the impacted clubs aren't significant, but there's some anomalies.

Rosebank - now in Money, has their 2's in D grade, so that's a great disparity.
Banyule, Lalor Stars and Mont's 2's are currently in B grade, so that's a dropping of standards for them - to equiv C grade.
Macleod, Bundoora, Research 2's are currently in C grade, so that's a step up in standards for them - to equiv B grade.
Mernda's 2's are in B grade, so that's a major drop of standards for them - to equiv D grade.

Scheduling can't be the only reason to revert back, as I think the scheduling has easier fixes than just this.

Should teams play where they are graded to play?
Or do teams (2's) fluctuate that much anyway with players arriving/departing clubs each year and players being unavailable during the year make their 2's a more fluid combination each week / year.

It's a 50/50 for me.
Good to see some logical cordial debating.

If we don’t undertake the Shield and Shield reserve.

Can’t have teams 3rds playing (Macleod and Plenty) playing against teams 5ths and 6th.

Need to undertake an overall regrade of B Grade and below.

Regardless of who won premierships or not in 2023.

There's hardly any difference in standard between b and d grade teams imo. There Is a huge gap between b to a though.
Our 2’s have just won D & C grade Premierships over the space of 2 seasons and honestly there is not that much difference between the 2 grades. The Top 4 sides in D from last year would have been in around the mark in C grade this season.

What probably needs to be considered is a two up and two down scenario in the non shield grades. This would definitely even out the grades and you would find within a few seasons most clubs would be in their respective levels. I personally wouldn’t be against a two up and two down in the shields as well

Our 2’s have just won D & C grade Premierships over the space of 2 seasons and honestly there is not that much difference between the 2 grades. The Top 4 sides in D from last year would have been in around the mark in C grade this season.

What probably needs to be considered is a two up and two down scenario in the non shield grades. This would definitely even out the grades and you would find within a few seasons most clubs would be in their respective levels. I personally wouldn’t be against a two up and two down in the shields as well
👍

Is that because Plenty keep fumbling that Money Shield

Can’t have teams 3rds playing (Macleod and Plenty) playing against teams 5ths and 6th.

Need to undertake an overall regrade of B Grade and below.
How can this be achieved fairly?? Some teams 3's aren't good enough to compete against other teams 3's or maybe 4's?

Agree that 2 up and 2 down would be a great leveler, but would also look at playing 1 day cricket from B grade down. More participation at all levels, games completed every week creates more of a social environment and could encourage more people coming to watch if they know a result is happening.

How can this be achieved fairly?? Some teams 3's aren't good enough to compete against other teams 3's or maybe 4's?

Agree that 2 up and 2 down would be a great leveler, but would also look at playing 1 day cricket from B grade down. More participation at all levels, games completed every week creates more of a social environment and could encourage more people coming to watch if they know a result is happening.
Only way this works if there are no bowling restrictions on Juniors. All can bowl thei 7 or 8 in a row. Having to stop after 5 usually sees them not getting a second spell.

Twos cricketers need to be playing 2 day cricket.

We’ve already got an issue with kids not being able to bat long periods. One day cricket also means less significant batting innings for the middle and lower order who might only bat every second game or have to come in every week in the 38th over.

Not ideal preparation for a game in the ones, nor preparing them well for their cricketing career.

IMO of course.

Is that because Plenty keep fumbling that Money Shield
Not in the slightest.

I have no doubt that all the grades would be more even across the board if their was more movement up and down
Twos cricketers need to be playing 2 day cricket.

We’ve already got an issue with kids not being able to bat long periods. One day cricket also means less significant batting innings for the middle and lower order who might only bat every second game or have to come in every week in the 38th over.

Not ideal preparation for a game in the ones, nor preparing them well for their cricketing career.

IMO of course.
100% this

I think there is an air of inevitability in that we will lose 2 day cricket from below E grade. In saying that we currently have G grade as allocated 1 day cricket so clubs are still nominating a lot of F grade sides which are a combination of 2 day / 1 day cricket. Until nobody nominates sides in F grade leave it the way it is

Back