how to keep your cricket bat in good condition

gregor

how to keep your cricket bat in good condition

hi im not sure if this is the right area or not but if not it can be moved and im just talking about how to keep your cricket bat in good shape and thing you do to maintain it

storage

in the off season of cricket you have to store your bat some where so a good place to store it is somewhere where it is a constant cool temperature where it is not too dry and not too humid (if too dry the bat can become brital but if too humid the bat could become rotted). a good place would be a shed or a storage room.

extratec and tape

extratec is a plastic sheet which is place over the face of the bat, it help to strengthen the bat, on the edges mainly and then there is no need to oil there so there is less maintanece.

tape is used where a crack has occurred or up the edges to strengthen them. when a crack occurs in gets repaired and then taped with fiberglass tape or pir skin tape as some call it (i think). it is used up the edges because when the ball strikes the edge the is the wood behind it so it takes the full force and can do serious damage like chip off wood or crack the surface.

handle and string

when you change your grips that is a good time to check your string and handle, check if the string has been frayed or parted is not stuck to the handle anymore. hold the bat and push down while toe is on the ground (like when your in a batting position) to test for spring in the handle has is changed? is it looser than before?

if you live in Australia this is a good place for new handles or crackes in the toe and other things

The Bat Doctor - Services

oiling

when you oil you bat for the first time you probably want to oil it about 3 times with raw linseed oil (you can pick it up at your local hardware store or at your sports store). put a small amount of oil in a rag and give the bat a LIGHT coat ensure that you cover all exposed areas except for the splice because this may cause the glue to become thinner and not as strong. leave the bat out to dry in the sun and give it another coat the following day to be sure it has all soaked in.

toe guards

toe guards come in a range of different colours' and sizes and are glued to the toe of the bat to prevent moisture from getting in and swelling the toe. these are more of a preference thing.

by Ryan Gregor

if there is anything else which you want to be put up let me know

Re: how to keep your cricket bat in good condition

Good post for people to read, couple of points though.

gregor;278750 said:
storage

in the off season of cricket you have to store your bat some where so a good place to store it is somewhere where it is a constant cool temperature where it is not too dry and not too humid (if too dry the bat can become brital but if too humid the bat could become rotted). a good place would be a shed or a storage room.

oiling

when you oil you bat for the first time you probably want to oil it about 3 times with raw linseed oil (you can pick it up at your local hardware store or at your sports store). put a small amount of oil in a rag and give the bat a LIGHT coat ensure that you cover all exposed areas except for the splice because this may cause the glue to become thinner and not as strong. leave the bat out to dry in the sun and give it another coat the following day to be sure it has all soaked in.

Personally i would leave the bat stored inside a bin Bag or similar, but not sealed, just to stop moisture and damp from affecting the bat. Under the stairs or a cupboard is uaully good. I would not leave in a shed as temperature changes and damp air are horrible.

Secondly after oiling and between coats its recommended that you leave the Bat Horizontal and not in direct sunlight. Direct sunlight can cause wood to funny things and if it has a lot of oil on it it will just suck it up. Oiling should be in light even coats and excess wiped off!

hope that helps!

not that my bats get a rest! they are now playing indoor cricket and then indoor nets!

Keep control on your anger while batting. It will protect you and your bat.:D

Stumped;279510 said:
and dont let others use your pride and joy?
Really funny :p
Went above my head.:confused:

Does fish cover have any effect on strokes or shots?

Lol the easiest way to not looking after your bat is lend it to someone else. it always comes back with dents or even cracks!!!!!

I use the Cover on one of my bats and it does not affect its performance.

A guy i know got one of 400 dollar fusions last year had just finished preparing it, then his mate needed a bat so he lent it to him, a week later his mate called and said "Your new fusion felt good till the handle snapped."

No Good at cricket;297358 said:
A guy i know got one of 400 dollar fusions last year had just finished preparing it, then his mate needed a bat so he lent it to him, a week later his mate called and said "Your new fusion felt good till the handle snapped."

Pwned...

I'd say don't use it at training when it is new and even when it gets a bit older. A bat maker said to me that every ball you face in the nets is a run less in the game.

two schools of thought really,

when i had my county Bat Hand made, i said about knocking it in and the guy said dont bother your only going to hit the ball with it any way, but my newbury took ages to get it right!

its recommended that you knock the edges in at least, then use it in the nets against he old ball!

ive got a new kookaburra coming, its grade 5 english willow so will be looking after it.

If your new Kahuna is a G5 I would think you'll need less preparation as the lower grades are often pressed harder to prevent breakages. Also it's likely it'll have less grains meaning the chances of cracking down one are smaller.

I personally never knock in or oil a bat, if you use it sensibly and keep it in the right place there should be little need.

Stumped;306816 said:
ive got a new kookaburra coming, its grade 5 english willow so will be looking after it.

May I ask why? Surely oiling and cleaning isn't going to make this bat any good...:confused:

hey
i had a kookaburra beast savage english.
i knocked it in when i started but didnt oil it.:eek:
it started to crack on the edge a bit half way through the season.
then during my last game it got a crack on the the edge again that couldnt be used for the rest of the innings.
how should i fix it?
should i oil it now and should i put some sort of tape on it?

roylandroos;313360 said:
hey
i had a kookaburra beast savage english.
i knocked it in when i started but didnt oil it.:eek:
it started to crack on the edge a bit half way through the season.
then during my last game it got a crack on the the edge again that couldnt be used for the rest of the innings.
how should i fix it?
should i oil it now and should i put some sort of tape on it?

I'm sure mas had a thread about fixing bats. If you post a picture in that thread I'm sure he'll be able to help.

The Sweeper;313088 said:
May I ask why? Surely oiling and cleaning isn't going to make this bat any good...:confused:

well i would tend to argue that! if you dont look after your bat it wont play very well and certainly wont last as long. Cleaning and oiling the Bat allows it to stay supple and stock the bat from drying out! Drying out means its more likely to crack!

Cracks can be repaired fairly easily, if its a small hair line crack, a dab off wood glue rubbed in, let it dry sand lightly to remove glue. (do not oild the glue as it will break down) and the best thing is to cover the edge in bat tape to add protection. if its a larger lifting crack same principle but put glue under the lifting crack, put in a vice or similar over night!

Back