How to stop Wides

Re: How to stop Wides

Simple thing to check is his non-bowling arm - where is it pointing? If you can get everything aiming at the target, it will help accuracy a lot.

Failing that it could be down to a few things, from lack of practice (some people can hit their straps straight away, other need overs under their belt), falling away in the action, head off balance and so on.

Of course, the above is very quick, rough and general trouble shooting. The problem could lie deeper (then again, it's very easy to over complicate matters) but without seeing the guy or a bit more info, they're not a bad place to start.

Just make sure everything's coming through straight. One of the best pieces of advise I've ever heard was probably the simplest thing. "If you run in straight a line, your levers (arms) move in a straight line and you follow through that same straight line, where's the ball going to go?" It's the simplest concept but it makes perfect sense, and it's something that's really helped improve my accuracy.

Does he warm up before his spell, I find my kids (And me) need to throw up at least 18 - 24 balls prior to the match to get your rythmn going, going in cold is a recipe for disaster.

I'm a medium-fast bowler and I used to have a problem with bowling off-side wides. My problem was that I was already aiming outside of off-stump instead of bowling so it hits off-stump and that I wasn't pointing my non-bowling arm in the right direction. I find I bowl consistently good balls when I look inside of my non-bowling fore-arm before it comes down.

Also by following through straight down the wicket you can eliminate a few wides, a couple of players at my club run off to the side almost immediately after they release the ball and give away a lot of wides. An added bonus of following through straight down the wicket is that it could improve the speed of bowling as well as the accuracy.

Hope you manage to get it sorted, I know it's frustrating for the player when they bowl a lot of wides.

The straight action and good follow through are good bits of advice, warming up too.

Tension will do it.

Must see if it's swinging too, just hold it across the seam to eliminate any swing.

Lot's of reasons though, feet, shoulders etc,.

Back