I have no confidence

Re: I have no confidence

The initial football related injury was about 6 weeks ago. And then the poorly timed shot would be around a month ago.

The swelling is gone. As is the pain. Unless however, any serious contact is made with the area around my big toe.

You probably do need to be a little careful for the next couple of weeks, then go for it.

I'm not sure any kind of support would help here.

Did you feel any discomfort around the arch area?

It's a very localized pain, just around that knuckle part of the big toe, I don't know what it's called. Nowhere else on my foot hurts, or even has any discomfort at all.

The big toe is a phalanx; the hallux. The joints are just called distal or proximal.

You can play as normal, it should be fine but if you are worried, try rugby forwards boots; the ones with steel toe caps ;)

Seriously, go for it. If you feel any discomfort, stop immediately and apply ice.

cheers jonesy and madbunny for the advice.I'l try out your advice on saturday and tell u my scores.btw thats exactly what it is madbunny pre-meditated defensive just thinkin to myself just try and not get out and im not having the confidence to play my shots.

I had a similar injury to the point of my left ankle a couple of weeks ago, Matt. It still hurts if it gets hit, but I find not thinking about it when batting is the best option. Ignore it unless you hit it again.

Can someone plz help me with any confidence tips i was in the middle for about 15 overs and only got 6 and had no confidence.Can any1 help me and give me any tips on how to get this confidence in the middle because ive strated to doubt my own ability.pleeeeassse

trescho said:
When i'm in the nets i'm playing all the shots and middling the ball perfectly and playing at the very top of my game.But when i go out to the middle i really struggle with confidence to play my shots and i just concentrate on blocking and only get low scores below 10.Its a massive difference between nets and match????please help me with this confidence issue????
Same problem with me. I posted a thread like this a couple of months ago. I still haven't resolved my problem. I've started indoor cricket, so hopefully that might help me.

I find that if I try and attack I end up hacking and getting out. So I either block, or hack and get out. My highest score is only 13. :(

I hate facing fast bowlers aswell. I think I may be scared of them. I've been it in the ankle, and in the semi final last year I was hit my a beamer.

I reckon if you're scared of fast bowlers, go to the nets with a bowling machine. Start off facing medium-fast, then gradually work it up. If you keep facing fast bowling, you will get used to it. I read somewhere the best way to get past you're fear is to do it.

trescho said:
Can someone plz help me with any confidence tips i was in the middle for about 15 overs and only got 6 and had no confidence.Can any1 help me and give me any tips on how to get this confidence in the middle because ive strated to doubt my own ability.pleeeeassse

You have to back yourself, no matter what.

It can be hard when you're out in the middle and the pressure is there to score quick runs but you have to play your own game. You may just be coming in at a point when the bowling is tight and you're doing the right thing by sticking around.

Believing in yourself can be hard at times but you have to do it, back yourself to get runs and tell yourself that you will get some. Don't be afraid to fail, we all have lean spells as well as productive ones, when runs are flying off the bat.

Also, try to relax and go out with a clear mind, the moment you start to doubt yourself is when it'll go wrong, not least as every decision will seem to go against you. Be positive and it will happen for you.

Jonesy said:
I reckon if you're scared of fast bowlers, go to the nets with a bowling machine. Start off facing medium-fast, then gradually work it up. If you keep facing fast bowling, you will get used to it. I read somewhere the best way to get past you're fear is to do it.

I'm fine against a bowling machine. I can face fast bowlers when it's full, I think I'm scared of short balls and beamers. I had my fair share of beamers bowled to me.

In some respects the best way to overcome the fear of pace is too actually get hit, although this is not something I would suggest that you actively attempt to do.

I agree MC,
Till last season I faced a similar kind of problem tentative against Fast bowlers.
I got hit on the head once and still continued batting and after that the fear to face fast bowlers has gone.
Of course;I make it a point to wear a Helmet always batting and I remember one of the post by you which clearly suggested to pad-up with all protective gear to eliminate the fear factor.
I hope Sean works on his batting.

mas cambios said:
In some respects the best way to overcome the fear of pace is too actually get hit, although this is not something I would suggest that you actively attempt to do.

Well I got hit by a beamer in the semi final last year and it wasn't overly comfortable and didn't really make me that confident.

Beamers are a different kettle of fish as they are head height (and I can fully understand why it may have knocked your confidence), I was thinking more of a bouncer at something like chest height. Again not ideal, but it does kind of let you know that it's not as bad as you think it's going to be (but then I have a high pain threshold but it still smarts a bit).

It doesn't work for everyone but most people are scared of the unknown, in this case how much it'll hurt, so once they've experienced being hit, it's not as bad in the future.

I think it has been posted elsewhere but the only way is to try to protect yourself as much as possible (helmet, chest guard, arm guard etc) and then get on with it. You may not like it, it may be uncomfortable but it's just something you have to live with if you want to play cricket. You have to learn to trust your kit as much as your instinct.

It sounds very harsh to put it like that but I can guarantee you even the pro's have doubts when facing guys who can break 90mph but they learn to trust the protection that is on offer and then practice as much as possible to acclimatise.

I don't know if this should go in this thread aswell, but how do I 'trust my instinct'? I want to, but I always think what I'm going to play, and not trust my instincts. Maybe this is why I'm not so good at short balls?

Sean, trusting your insitnct will come when you have your confidence.......

do you feel nervous when you bat?

Yes! I'm always nervous. No matter who I face. I want to trust my instinct so I don't have to think about getting a bouncer that will scon me in the head.

Back