I think my pace is going down.

I think my pace is going down.

Hey, I'm an opening bowler for the Switzerland under 17's team and a couple of months ago, I slipped a disk in my back, I've fully recovered from that but now I feel that my pace has gone down to what it was before. Also I feel that my action has kind of changed and when I try to go back to the bowling action I had before, I don't feel comfortable with it. Do you guys have any suggestion for this? Thank you in advance.

Re: I think my pace is going down.

Coming back from an injury can be hard and often things will feel different.

Was the slipped disc in your back as a result of cricket or from something else? Also, are you sure that you're action has changed or is it more of a feeling?

It may be that your body is not used to bowling and simply needs to remember what it's meant to be doing, also, there may well be some strength loss, as I'm guess you were told to take it easy whilst the back was recovering?

Did you have a proper rehabilitation plan and are you doing any work at the moment to help improve your core?

Well, yes, my disc slipped while fielding. And I'm sure my action has changed as I don't know why, but I tend to jump higher and that messes up my follow through. My coach also pointed that out. Yes, I was told to take it easy during recovery and as a result, I didn't play cricket matches for a while, I followed a rehab plan that the hospital suggested me so I guess it was a proper one. As for improving the core, I saw a thread in the fitness and nutrition area some time back and I've started the plank exercise. Is the plank any good to improve the core or not?

I'm going to move this into the fitness area, so that Liz and co will see it; they can offer you more advice on core stability.

From what you say it seem that the biggest problem is your jump. Try marking out a landing area so that you have something to aim for, this can help you to get distance, rather than height.

It could just be time away from the game. I find that I take a net session or two to get back into it after about 5-6 months away from the game every year.

Out of interest, living in switzerland do you ski a lot?? And whats the national set up like over there?

Thanks for moving this Tom.

Now to Jelly Beanz question, I've had a couple of net sessions but it still doesn't seem to click. As for skiing, I didn't do it this year due to the injury, but otherwise I do it once a week in winters.

I think this needs a two pronged attack: technical (the jump) and fitness (supporting the spine).

I suggest you take this back to basics and try bowling from base for [say] 15 minutes to half an hour;
Then include a step forward into a continuous, fluid bowl;
When this feels more natural, go with the run up/jump/gather in slow motion for a few bowls;
Then speed it up.

It may just be the case of rhythm malfunction ;)

As for core reinforcement, the plank is fine as long as you brace your core, at least 30%. The side plank will involve more spine stabilisers, including the quadratus lumborum. It requires significant levels of co-contraction of most of the trunk muscles and is a useful exercises for anybody requiring advanced core strength in the standing and/or running posture. The lower back and abdominals work greatly to assist the obliques, which work extremely hard to raise the trunk laterally.

You need to work on your rotator cuff and hamstrings too to take any extra pressure off the spine.

Out of curiosity, which disc 'slipped'?

Eh... I forgot which disc it was exactly, but it was somewhere in the middle-lower part of the back.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to apply them. ;)

king_of_slaves said:
Eh... I forgot which disc it was exactly, but it was somewhere in the middle-lower part of the back.

If that is the case, watch (or ask your coach to watch) for any counter rotation during the bowl and check that there has been no change to the back foot contact (BFC).

Thanks. Took a look inside, looks helpful. So if I get it correctly, I'm only working on the stability part with the plank, I need to add some rotation to it.

Back