I want to be a wicket keeper

Smithy Style

I want to be a wicket keeper

I'm a Goalkeeper for my school team and my club team. I also play cricket and i won the best feilder award for last season. We have a wicket keeper who is average, and we have another who is also average, but they both like bowling. Some of the team players want me to try keeping. Should i try it and ask to give keeping a go at training, and how can i train in my own time, and with others. Also any tips would be welcome on training, and what gear to get ( just to start off)
I have no problen with diving or catching in wiki gear.

Thanks for reading..... Smithy Style

Re: I want to be a wicket keeper

Go for it Smithy Style; you have nothing to lose. If you have good hand/eye coordination you'll be great :D

Start off by throwing a tennis ball against a wall, at the base of the wall, just in front of the wall for it to ricochet and catch.

Progress to standing/crouching behind makeshift stumps.

At next nets, just keep behind the batsman and try and get some one2one sessions, preferably with the 1st XI wicket keeper.

as liz said, go for it, there is nothing to lose.
These are some tips from a world class keeper, Ian Healy
[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=ey2PXy8c0Ss"]YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass WicketKeeping Tips[/ame]

thanks for the link!!! great tips!. only thing is that I'm not sure how to say i want to be a keeper to the coach. i like the club I'm at as we win a lot(4 out of 4), but should i go to another club and try...?? :confused:

Take my word, be confident and go ask your coach
say like this:
' sir i want to become a wicket keeper will you help me'
i am sure your coach will help you

thanks for the advise :) the only thing os that i could see him saying yes, and going "i will help you if you want" which would be great, but i could just as easily see him saying "no don't waste my time"........ also i only have gloves and he would say you need pads to be a keeper......

Most coaches would welcome the interest and most Clubs in the UK will have Club pads that you can borrow.

I do not know any qualified coach who would say "don't waste my time" and if they do, you are better off at a different Club.

Go for it at the next training session and let us know how you got on.

Thats right i am sure your coach will be able to help you, if he is not then as liz said you are better off at a different club. I am sure he will let you borrow some, i didnt know whats the system is UK
tell us the answer when you ask him in the next training session

There is no harm in showing an interest - if you were to come to me and say that you were keen to try behind the stumps, I'd give you all the support you needed. Most clubs are crying out for keepers, as a lot of the youngsters tend to shy away from it.

As Liz says, practice by rebounding a ball off a wall, you can even have some stumps in front of you as you do it (help get a feel for it). Don't worry too much about kit for now, as most clubs will have something you can use for the time being, then, if you find it's something you want to continue with have a look in the end of season sales for some bargain kit.

The main thing is getting used to the feel of the ball hitting the gloves, then take it from there.

I think you should get someone to throw balls at you. This will give you the grip and if its possible you can do it in te nets

Yeah, go for it. We had a guy at our club who was the reserve goalkeeper for Queen of the South (football team in Scotland) and he just started playing cricket this year. He's a really good wicketkeeper already, so get stuck in and surprise a few people!!

Good luck :)

If he says no, then keep practicing, keep getting better and better and then prove to him you can. Or join a rival club, keep for them and shove it up ya coache's ass when you play them :D

If there are two other keepers in your team and they don't want to keep, seek them out first and ask if they wouldn't mind stepping down. And then you can talk to the coach together?

good idea wolf!

i'm now keeping for our first 11 this season! 6 div's above where i used to keep!

only two blokes who bowl in the 75-80 bracket, but i keep wicket to them in the mid week and sunday games.

its more the competitiveness of the game and what the outcome is! more pressure etc.

plus i dont get so much of a bat any more even at 5 the top 4 are quality!

Oh ok, that's about the same as our 1sts too.

I know what you mean about pressure, I played my first (and so far only) game for the 1sts at the beginning of the season and it's like a different game!!

I have played firsts a fair few times, but only for my batting, i have been working hard on my keeping and its paying off, i had my chance to proove myself recently and ive retained my place so far!

Back