I'm on my way down at 30: Pietersen

mas cambios

I'm on my way down at 30: Pietersen

At the ripe old age of 30, Kevin Pietersen is on the way out. Who says so? England’s best batsman himself says so.

As he arrived for two games in South Africa before the Ashes in Australia, he said: “I am 30 years old now. I have probably got to the top of the fence and am on the way down now. It is nice if you can help somebody else.”

What do you reckon? Recent form has been poor but that is seemingly down to a mixture of ego, injury, lack of game time (away from tests) and his left arm spin hoodoo.

Many would say that he is just reaching the peak years for a batsman? Look at how many have had prolific periods of form around the 30-34 age range.

Re: I'm on my way down at 30: Pietersen

hes over rated anyway wont score nothign in the ashes probably wont evrn be in the england team come next season like

That's about the age a lot of batsmen debut for Australia lol. He'll get back to his best at some stage, he's too talented.

Do think it's a strange thing to say. Might be an insight into his head though - could explain a few things.

I think he's got other things on his mind apart from cricket now. His family especially. When he says he's on his way down, I think he means he's losing his appitite for the game.

No this is classic KP. He is trying to down play down his own ability. I dont think he is losing his appetite but rather wants the media to hammer him being all down and out. He needs no motivation as he is a driven individual. I expect him to come good during the Ashes. I saw some highlights on Sky about his first innings in South Africa and he got out by throwing his wicket away. He needs a big hundred or serious time in the middke and then I think it will be all better.

No this is classic KP. He is trying to down play down his own ability. I dont think he is losing his appetite but rather wants the media to hammer him being all down and out. He needs no motivation as he is a driven individual. I expect him to come good during the Ashes. I saw some highlights on Sky about his first innings in South Africa and he got out by throwing his wicket away. He needs a big hundred or serious time in the middke and then I think it will be all better.

Yeah he's talking himself down as you say, just look at someone like Ramprakash, he's a mcuh older player and Pieterson at some point will look in the mirror one day and say to himself 'What am I doing with these stupid haircuts and tache's - I've got kids now, I'm a bloke', and maybe grow up and grow into himself and maybe not need to be the centre of attention and discover he can focus on what he does properly. I reckon he's still reeling from losing the captaincy.

I reckon he's at a bit of a crossroads. Batsman who prosper in their 30s tend to be of the level-headed, circumspect type. Brute strength and speed between the wickets tends to ebb a little, but intelligence and experience usually more than makes up for that.

If he doesn't want to be that mature player then who knows, he may well be on his way down. If he settles down and plays more maturely then he has the talent to continue to prosper - indeed, develop into an even better batsman.

Back