Increase Aggressivness

Boris

Increase Aggressivness

I am an accomplished natural off spinner, it comes to me normally. If I can say so myself I am fairly good and seem to be going well at the moment. In my last game I got 9/28 or 7.5 overs (this isn't the norm, just a lucky day) and I love off spinning.

The problem lies with my pace bowling. Your probably wondering why I don't just stick to spinning, but I have been told that I am very fast within our comp, and I am a very aggressive style pace bowler. Normally my captain bowls me for a couple of overs of pace, either opening the bowling or first change where he and I agree that I just bowl as fast as I can with lots of balls targeting the stumps and bouncers, not worrying too much about consistency and accuracy. I like doing this and it quite often works, or at least unsettles the batsmen for someone else to get them out. then later i come back and bowl some spin and get all my wickets. Its a strange tactic but it seems to work most of the time. Lately though I seem to have sub-consciously changed my bowling style a little and I'm not quite as quick and it hasn't worked as well. I am back working on my pace now in the hope of unsettling a few batsmen towards the end of the season.

I have four questions regarding this:

1. How do recommend to bowl more aggressively. I have a very good short ball, but use it too often. I also bowl a lot of balls full at the stumps or outside off for a slips catch. Anything else?

2. Field settings. I tend to get these wrong and go for quite a few runs because I am not very accurate, neither do i really want to be. Any suggestions to an attacking style field that I don't have to bowl dead accurately to.

3. The age old question: any hints on bowling faster. I just have to ask this

4. Finally, regarding my offies, I get a lot of my wickets with variations and trick balls. Does anyone have some slightly unusual off spin variation ideas. My favourite trick ball so far is buckling my knees so I am very low to the ground when I bowl, so low that my wrist and arm scrape on the ground with my follow-through. This confuses the batsman and causes a lot of skidding on, especially coupled with pace and backspin. Just for fun any outlandish trick ball ideas such as that?

Thank you everyone who replies and perhaps laughs at my idea of tactics.

Re: Increase Aggressivness

Hey mate. I bowl part time off spin and have been trying lately to copy a ball by Ajantha Mendis called the carrom ball. You move your middle or ring finger (depending if you put one finger or two on the ball) and put it behind the ball. Use it to flick the ball out and it'll spin the opposite way. When I bowl it it's a bit slower, but it confuses the hell out of the batsman.

It's a tough ball to master. I'd suggest getting some practise in with it first.

Alright one I've been working on, havnt been able to perfect it yet.

Have the ball in your hand and in your middle finger and thumb, click your fingers.

When bowling it, have the ball on the left side of your right hand (or called the inside), and flick your thumb over the ball. Angle your wrist and you have a crazy drifting leg break, delivered with what looks like an offies action. I can't do it without throwing yet, still working on it. Its like an offies flipper, with also turns. Crazy stuff.

Try what I've said, start with a tennis ball, and when you're getting it to turn like a leg break, move onto a cricket ball.

I tried your suggestion Mousey, at least I think I did. Whatever i did worked, it kind of flicked out like a top spinner, dropped a head then skidded on. This happened twice, is that what is supposed to happen? It was very effective anyway, no runs scored of the three of those balls I tried and one was mighty close to getting a wicket. By the way I got 4/21, could have been 5 but a pretty easy catch was put down. I don't normally brag but I think if I do, now is the time to do it! 15 wickets over my past three games! I can't believe it.

Breeno, I shall try that interesting sounding delivery. Does it spin much like a doosra? I already have that in my arsenal, I spent 6 months of continuous practice in the nets to get there, but I managed to get a pretty good delivery out of it. Also do you use your thumb to spin the ball, or still the normal fingers? I like the sound of my arsenal expanding, but it could take a number of months.

Since you sound like offies yourselves, try gripping the with your first three fingers across the seam, then bend your first finger so it is running down the seam, even curled down behind it. With it like this, when you bowl deliver it like a normal off break except really rip the fingers across the ball and click, then with your follow through bring your arm down your left side behind your back but twist the rest of your body in the normal way, even more if possible. The result is a crazily drifting and spinning ball, even as much as that of a leggies stock ball. I have made this my normal delivery, chucking in the orthodox off break about once an over.

thanks

Boris;339578 said:
I tried your suggestion Mousey, at least I think I did. Whatever i did worked, it kind of flicked out like a top spinner, dropped a head then skidded on. This happened twice, is that what is supposed to happen? It was very effective anyway, no runs scored of the three of those balls I tried and one was mighty close to getting a wicket. By the way I got 4/21, could have been 5 but a pretty easy catch was put down. I don't normally brag but I think if I do, now is the time to do it! 15 wickets over my past three games! I can't believe it.

Hey man, well done on your 4fa. The delivery is supposed to spin the other way, but getting it straightening and skidding on can be just as effective.

Have a read of this: How to bowl the carrom ball. It's quite the delivery if you master it. I've been trying for a couple of months but mine is still a tad too slow.

Gratz on the 4fa Boris.

Its sort of like the thumb gets it ripping crazily, and drifting, but the angle of your wrist determines how much it turns if that makes sense.

Im not an offie, but ive got a knack for variations, be it leggies or offies.

I thought that the delivery was very strange. Normally a top spinner bounces a lot after it has dropped a reasonable amount, but the way I bowled it it seemed to drop a heap then skid on, which isn't natural for any top spin.

I will try to get it turning the other way, then I will have two new deliveries.

Boris;339237 said:
2. Field settings. I tend to get these wrong and go for quite a few runs because I am not very accurate, neither do i really want to be. Any suggestions to an attacking style field that I don't have to bowl dead accurately to.

This is quite hard to answer quickly but let me have a go.

It depends on the angle you use. For example if you are right arm outswing the ball is likely to go on the off side rather than the leg side to your stock ball.

Assuming you do bowl right arm outswing (you might not so correct me if I'm wrong) you could have an off side bias field, perhaps 6-3 with slips as your attacking option. If you bowl a decent line you will not get hit behind square on the leg side much unless you bowl a bouncer and they hook.

So setting the field is more about line than length. It's also about working out the angles and deciding where the ball is going to go.

Of course you also have to account for the game situation and the style of the batsman. So it can get complex, but always think about angles first and put your fielders there!

Virendersingh.berthwal;343096 said:
Hi Boris,

How is your off spin?
Do u enjoy bowlign more of it or changing to fast bowling.

Virender

i have to say that i very much enjoy off spinning, but because i happen to be faster then it is quite enjoyable to bowl and over or two of fast pace to frighten them. i am not that accurate with my pace and i slow down quickly so it is only occasionally that i do use it. i am a much better offie though and it has got to be my favourite, although i would rather be a leg spinner (i dont think that is possible though).

what do you bowl, if you bowl?

shane warne was an excellent bowler, but maybe not the best sort of action to copy and inspire from.

leggies have more options and they spin and drift the ball a lot more then that of an offspiner. compare warne with murali. murali has more wickets, but have almost all come from minnow teams such as bangladesh and when he bowls he doesnt continually trouble batsmen and make them think that they will get out everyball, whereas warne did that to all batsmen except for a few (like tendulkar and lara).

i like off spinning though, especially now that more and more lefties are playing.

legspinners are scarce and its because of a reason. it takes the talented to bowl, its something that you have to have naturally so that you can practice. so stick with your leggies if you think your at least partly good. try listening to your coach at first and really concentrate on what he says and what your doing. if you think things arent going so well after a few months then talk to him or work out someone else to help you. my teams coach really concentrated on me and my captaincy and i went from getting a wicket every couple of games and winning every third game to getting 2-3 wickets on average per match and over the last season a 90% win rate. remember coaches are important.

i have no idea what is happening in england, so i will have to agree with you. the aussie ones are quite good, although we did lose one of our best ones ever, bill buchanen, last season and it has taken a little while form him to get settled, especially when there are so many new comers coming through at the same time.

It's a joke at the moment in clubs. The ECB qualified coaches I know are crap for coaching bowling, they can tell you the basic action (and they'll always be bias towards side on, i've still got a coach trying to change me to side on) but if you want know how to get faster they'll say follow through more and that's end of it.

i think side-on is the way to go, except if you have thoroughly developed a front-on action that is proven to work and does not limit your ability. but that is completely beside the point.

my follow through lasts about 3 steps off of a 25 step run up, although i do just lightly jog in. that sort of follow through is good for indoor cricket because it readies you to field quickly, but i dont think its good on my body.

have you tried complaining to the management of such coaches? if so does it make any difference?

Back