Indoor Cricket Help!

dancricket

Indoor Cricket Help!

Hey guys,

This is my first post ;)

I am a budding cricketer who hasn't played in any form of the game in a club for a couple of years. I am gonna start off with a season of indoor before I play outdoor and so I have a couple of related questions.

1/ Should I need to be more of a front foot player? Or being a better back foot player be more efficient?

Kinda unrelated but,

2/ How are some ways I can practice batting on my own?

Re: Indoor Cricket Help!

Hey mate, welcome to the forum.

I'm not playing at the moment but while I umpire indoor cricket and generally find back foot players the most efficient. Getting on the front foot makes you hit down the ground, which isn't too good in indoor (the fielder can restrict you to just one or run you out). Getting on the back foot lets you play square into the nets and earn bonus runs. Also remember not to hit the ball too hard and don't do anything stupid.

To answer your other question to practise on your own try putting a ball in a stocking and tie it to the roof of your pergola or clothesline. Let the ball swing and hit it. Practice square shots the most, but don't hesitate to smash those pies straight for four or six! Just remember to run!

Have fun!

From my experience of indoor cricket, it seems to be mostly a back foot game or least looking to get on the back foot. Cut shots seem to be bring the most runs but you still need to be able to drive from time to time or be able to place the ball into gaps.

One tip is that if you do have to hit straight(or in the 'v'), then hit it hard and low.

Not sure what type of ball you'll be using but the one we use over here bounces more than a traditional cricket ball, especially on the type of surface used.

As for practicing on your own, it's not ideal but the methods above are probably the best ways.

6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6 is all you should be thinking about, play every ball on its merits, if its anywhere near drivable than go for the back net every time, will you go out ?, yes, will you have fun doing it ? yes, will your team mates love you for costing them the game ? no, seriosly though, the way the good indoor batters go about it is to hit the ball into the ground so it bounces up high on the side net hence limiting the chance of a run out, rather boring, but effective, but if your like me and you see a juicy half volley you wont be able to help yourself going for the back net. lol

Yep. That's all right. Make the ball go in a "v" like MC said and hit it hard sraight down like DoP said. Do that, as well as punishing the odd full toss you'll reach 50, win the game and maybe earn drink cards (if your centre does that).

hey i play a lot of indoor cricket and find that you should look to use your front foot first but if its short move onto the back foot and play it late, that way you will be playing good down-ups more regularly.

Slap shot for the win every single time.

Get your two every ball and be done with it.

Extreme Pace;339527 said:
hey i play a lot of indoor cricket and find that you should look to use your front foot first but if its short move onto the back foot and play it late, that way you will be playing good down-ups more regularly.

totally agree.

Back