Ipl Killing T20 Cricket?

IPL is one of the most famous domestic league. It increase the efficiency of the player in T20 cricket. But Indian cricket is affected for test cricket.

Wasn't much of a fan anyway. but apart from online I don't think you can even watch the IPL on TV in Australia any more.

I think IPL is not killing T20 Cricket. I encourage the player to play their natural play. It is also related to economical benefits of a player.

Killing is a strong word...damaging world cricket is a better term.
Killing is a strong word...damaging world cricket is a better term.

I would agree with damaging, some players have lost interest in international cricket because of the high salaries and loss of interest. IMHO the issues with the IPL lay with the ICC who should have looked at the league differently from the outset, many players up sticks and left other domestic leagues for the money, also affecting the domestic leagues of other nations.

Having not seen any of the IPL (due to a TV rights dispute here in Australia) I recently learnt that the fourth series of the tournament saw the competition taper off and perhaps even descend into a decline. Crowd numbers were down from last season with several games only half-filled to capacity. Even some of the finals matches had empty seats which would have been inconceivable about two years ago as the competition was so popular. Now, after a serious amount of overkill the IPL seems to be on the wane.

To be honest, I am little surprised given how cricket-mad India is but on the other hand I'm not all that shocked. The IPL was the brainchild of the BCCI who had a desire to form a cricketing competition which would attract the best players from around the world to play in India but to also kill off the rival Idian Cricket League (ICL). Both goals were achieved and the first series was highly enjoyable simply because no-one had done anything like this before. Now though, the series has gone from an exiciting, never before seen cricketing series to something which appears to have gotten repetitive and also quite stale.

The saturation of the competition which included 74 games this season and 94 last season has resulted in total overkill and along with the excessive advertising and repetitiveness of games has resulted in smaller crowds, lower TV ratings and general lack of interest almost. This was perhaps because the seasons are far too long or India has simply had enough of T20 cricket which would be a fair effort considering how much India is obsessed with the sport. Not only has this occured in India but the same has happened in England where the T20 matches played in the county season have also been reduced due to smaller crowds and a complete overkill on the amount of games played.

Is this the decline of T20 cricket or is there still more to come?

I think T2o in general is ruining cricket, bring on more test series, county and shield cricket.

I believe T20 is ruining cricket, bring on more test series, county and shield games. If T20 is going to be played there should be some form of salary capping.

I believe T20 is ruining cricket, bring on more test series, county and shield games. If T20 is going to be played there should be some form of salary capping.
Totally agree, T20 is at a point where it will do irreparable damage to the depth of quality test cricket through the erosion of technique, concentration and commitment. T20 may have a place but it is not in my home.

Totally agree, T20 is at a point where it will do irreparable damage to the depth of quality test cricket through the erosion of technique, concentration and commitment. T20 may have a place but it is not in my home.

Its the quantity of matches that baffles me, we are starting to hear about cricket boards not being able to schedule test series because of the size of current schedules, this is all down to the sheer number of T20 matches out there...look at the New Zealand will have in England, there had been talk of it being only 2 tests!

Its the quantity of matches that baffles me, we are starting to hear about cricket boards not being able to schedule test series because of the size of current schedules, this is all down to the sheer number of T20 matches out there...look at the New Zealand will have in England, there had been talk of it being only 2 tests!

It is only two Tests! :(:mad: Plus, England might play a B side as the Ashes are so close!!! Grrrrrrrrh!

Back