IPL Player Auctions

Re: IPL Player Auctions

ShaneS said:
I think Hyderabad together with Kolkata have got the most explosive batting lineups with the former having a good bowling option as well.

Bangalore seem to have the most balanced bowling lineup whilst the addition of McGrath to Delhi has bolstered theirs.

I think whilst having a solid batting lineup Chennai might have wanted one more big name bowler while Mumbai needed another batsman.

Mohali also have some big hitters and talented batsmen.

Will be interesting to see how Smith and Warne get along as teammates at Jaipur. It will be interesting to see how these squads' players gel as a team.

I see 5 of them: Tendulkar, Dravid, Yuvraj & Ganguly as icon players and Symonds. Sehwag misses out even as an icon player while others such as Lee, Jayasuriya and Sharma are close to the million mark.
yeah hyderabad and kolkata have some big hitters and world class players. chennai isnt too behind though. hayden, dhoni, oram, morkel, hussey are all match winners.

bangalore have a great bowling lineup but this game is all about batting and they dont have any big hitters. lol dravid and kallis in the same team. but im sure they'll change their game to adapt with the format.

except for mcgrath, de villers, vettori delhi has a lacklustre team. sehwag shouldn't have been made an icon. had it been 3 years ago i would have agreed. shoaib malik has been out of form, same with sehwag and karthik. tilekratne and maharoof are bits and pieces players. they do have a good opening attack with mcgrath and asif but their batting seems weak.

yeah it will be interesting to see how smith and warne get along. i saw in a news report they were saying that smith will most likely be their captain but will shane warne object to it.

Me and my brother have two bets. I think that Mumbai will finish above his choice of Kolkata and I think that Chennai will win over Bangalore (he obviously thinks the opposite).

I'm still trying to decide who has the strongest team. My initial thought was that Kolkata had a good mix but the more I look at the more I can see strengths and weaknesses in each team.

Definately, no team is perfect. However, I feel that the young Indian players who each team will have to recruit to fill the quota of four Indian U22s per XI will be the difference.

Looking at the tours at the time:
- India and South Africa will be available for the IPL
- Sri Lanka and West Indies will be available
- New Zealanders (and English) will not be available
- Australia and Pakistan will likely miss a large portion of the IPL.

some of these ppl are too underpaid and some overpaid but im glad shane warne is playing so i cant witness his magic for the first time live!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

ag23 said:
some of these ppl are too underpaid and some overpaid but im glad shane warne is playing so i cant witness his magic for the first time live!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yeah, the franchises have preferred popularity over performance. The factor that some of these players would be unavailable for the tournament affected their price too. These are just the prices for the first year. I expect players like Hayden, Hussey and Ponting to be bought for astronomical sums in the next year, similar to what Symonds fetched, if they are available. Why Warne and Mcgrath fetched so little is perplexing. Perhaps because they have retired from international cricket are too old, the franchises think they are past their best.

ag23 said:
what will happen to the unsold players

The unsold players - Mohammad Yousuf and Ashwell Prince will be withdrawn. It was mostly Jaipur's fault that they went unsold. Jaipur spend little less than $3 million in player auctions while the mandatory amount was $3.3 million. Jaipur is going to be fined for that and that amount will be used to compensate Yousuf and Prince. Most of the other teams spent more than the maximum limit of $5 million so they could not bid for either of the players.

I think that will be the case. Though it's unknown what will happen to teams like Kolkata, Delhi, Mohali etc that went over the spending limit of $5 million.

My pick is Taibu as the best bargin of the lot $125,000 for a quality wicketkeeper-batsman (and he can bowl)
Funny to see David Hussy and Cam White going for more than Ponting. The Huss's 60 ball 100 against NSW yesterday can't have hurt him.

It was a really exciting day yesterday. Im still trying to make sense of some bids. I can understand some of the bids as the franchise owners were not only looking for good players but players with star power. But how exactly is a Kaif, Tiwary or Ishant Sharma worth so much. They aren't proven performers or well known brands. Even established players like Harbhajan are not worth their hefty price. Though Mumbai is the richest franchise, they are not too smart. A Uthappa or Harbhajan for $800,000 is not a wise deal. Jayasuriya, Malinga, Sachin and Pollock are the only players that were worth their price. Pollock and Malinga were undervalued but its not Mumbai's fault.
The biggest joke was Warne being sold for $450,000. He might have retired but I wouldn't doubt his abilities. If he was still playing international cricket I bet he would still be the best bowler in the world.
Players like Kumble, Gibbs, Gilchrist, David Hussey, Oram, Jayasuriya, Akhtar, McCullum, Gayle, Sangakkara, Asif, Vettori, Shoaib Malik probably deserved what they will be getting but most others were undervalued or overvalued.

a few suprises??
haha the indians were bought for way more than there were!!!
the turbinator(harbhajan singh) is not worth 850 000.
that finger spinner should be fun for the opposition batters... his balls dont spin haha
is a shame ponting is out of form hed fetch alot higher price if he was in form
and matty hayden??
lol
he is easily the best batsmen in the world at the moment
and he was taken cheap as chips
the whole thing is a scam

You might want to know that IPL stands for Indian Premier League. This tournament is being held in India so Indians are bound to draw more money than foreign players. Also Hayden and Ponting are unlikely to play much for the first two years as Australia's schedule conflicts with IPL. Putting more money on them would be a risk. Hence they didn't get favourable responses.

Also, please stop using expletives for Harbhajan Singh. I have had to edit/delete your posts in the past for the same reason. He might not be your favourite player but its against the forum rules to swear and we'd like if you obey them.

Wow there has been so much excitement and not even a match has been played. This is really going ot make history in Cricket. I hope it make make cricket as big as Football. The money these players will get is amazing. Dhoni will earn 10 times more for 1 IPL game than what he earns a ODI. If Brett Lee bowls all 4 overs and plays every match then he earns $2300 for just bowling one ball.

I see you've had too much time on your hands Rohit :p - working out the amounts per ball!

The money is good but I hope it doesn't ruin cricket as we know it.

So If we had $5 million each given the market values at the auction who would we buy.

Back