Ipl Popularity... Ipl Worth It Or Not

Natalia Kumar

IPL has gained so much publicity but is this the real cricket , i dont think so here in ipl nobody is showing passion for cricket everybody is running after money as the name suggests indian paisa league, different people from different countries but no bonding, no passion and great chances of making players addicted to money and of match fixing as well.

decide if IPL deserves this popularity or not

I have only really seen the first season as where we live there is no digital TV and it's not on pay TV, but from memory after being interesting at the start the novelty wore off very quickly.

The novelty of Twenty20 as a whole seems to be wearing off. Nobody really takes it seriously, at least in Australia anyway. With the ODI World Cup you really get stuck in and follow your team, see how they're going, cheer when they win and boo when they lose. With the T20 World Cup it doesn't matter who you watch, you sort of just watch the game for a couple of big hits then go home, not caring who wins or loses. This may just be Australia or even just around where I live but it does feel like the whole world doesn't really care, other than the Indians it seems anyway.

Watching the IPL occasionally doesn't work. You've either got to be fully interested in it or not at all. Otherwise the six weeks of games are all exactly the same (and they call seven game ODI tours boring) and the only time it gets interesting is when a player you know comes into shot. You can half-heartedly follow the T20 World Cup, but you can't do that with the IPL or else it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Combining business and sport is a brilliant idea up until the point when you can see the business side of things. The optimum way to run sport is to never let the fans see the commercial side behind it, other than advertising of course. The IPL is the other way around, it's a live show of fat cats throwing their money around with a bit of pointless cricket on the side. Not good for the game in my opinion.

Agreed, the IPL is has gotten fairly stale in my opinion, the competition is far too long and some games can be quite boring. The BCCI haven't learnt from the two previous ODI World Cup formats which were both too long in nature but as long as this venture keeps making money they won't particularly care.

The same thing happened in the English competition and they've responded by reducing the amount of games played for this upcoming season.

I have not followed any of the IPL seasons. I don't like T20 at all and have not watched a game for over two years.
For me the sooner the whole boring formate looses it's WOW the better. Actually i can only stomach a certain amount of ODI, i am a test tragic. Just love the skills, concentration, careful planning and execution.

Last three seasons, I followed Deccan, now I watch games that Kings 11 play. Any chance to watch Adam Gilchrist I'll take. I don't care much about the other matches. And I'm very glad to see that Geoff Marsh isn't picking his son in his starting 11. Mitchell Marsh will be ruined by IPL.

The IPL is like American sports, full of hype and over payed professorial sportsman. The T20 format is the least skillful and least enjoyable format for me, I can understand players wanting to go there and earn a good living but choosing IPL (money, money, money) over international cricket like Lasith Malinga has done just recently is crazy. What happened to country pride? I know a lot of people my age (teens) get right into the IPL but the real traditional cricket lovers like watching test matches and one day matches best. I would rather watch a devision 8 game between two no bodies than watch the IPL. Because they are playing for country pride, not money.

It probably is the least skillful but there are new skills being developed through the new format, batters have to come up with new ways to score runs through playing unorthodox shots and bowlers need to reduce the amount of runs scored by trying new deliveries.

The IPL has a much lesser skill level than some of the other domestic leagues around the globe, the Australia T20 Big Bash I would rate as a better competition.

It probably is the least skillful but there are new skills being developed through the new format, batters have to come up with new ways to score runs through playing unorthodox shots and bowlers need to reduce the amount of runs scored by trying new deliveries.

The IPL has a much lesser skill level than some of the other domestic leagues around the globe, the Australia T20 Big Bash I would rate as a better competition.

I agree with you fully, I like watching new inventive stuff. That's the good side of T20 cricket, and I do like watching the Big Bash. But what I can't stand is, why do we need all this international T20's played? Keep it at club level, I say. Or maybe have one T20 match as a warm up before a series starts.

I believe T20 is hurting the longer formats of the game.

From an Australian perspective, I'm worried about what the 'IPL Effect' is going to do to the new competition replacing the Big Bash.

I find it difficult to talk neutrally on this subject because I am a cricket traditionalist of the highest order and have very little time for anything to do with T20. Natalia - are you in India? I would be interested in learning what sort of effect the IPL has had on the Ranji Trophy.

I prefer tests, but as I live in London, IPL is one of the only chances I get to see some of the fringe Aussie players performing.

Besides, being from Fremantle, I'd rather watch either of the Marsh boys bat/bowl than any of the current Aussie lot bar Johnson when he's in nick.

At least they have proper techniques and it's the only chance I get to actually watch them.

Honestly, Birt, Finch, Warner, Christian, White, to name some of the other Aussies in the IPL, just look like generic sloggers in comparison.

The Indian cricket board has slapped a $US50,000 ($A47,000) fine on Australian bowling legend Shane Warne for his part in a bust-up with a local administrator after an IPL game, a statement said Wednesday.
Warne, captain of the Rajasthan Royals team in the Indian Premier League, was involved in an angry exchange with Sanjay Dixit, secretary of the Rajasthan state cricket association, following his team's defeat at home last week.
The leg-spinner later apologised for "any distress" his action may have caused but the Rajasthan association still lodged a complaint with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), owners of the money-spinning IPL.
Warne and Dixit were summoned for a hearing in Mumbai on Tuesday before a disciplinary commission comprising IPL chairman Chirayu Amin and former player Ravi Shastri.
In a statement, the BCCI said the disciplinary commission "regards the public criticism of Mr Dixit as being a serious breach by Mr Warne of his IPL playing contract".
"However, at the same time, the commission also recognises that Mr Warne has apologised to Mr Dixit, and that the incident occurred just after the match."
It concluded: "The commission has decided to impose a fine of US$50,000 upon Mr Warne." - AFP

If there was any fairness in Indian cricket Andrew Symonds would be receiving $50,000 for being called a monkey! The whole system is ludicrous so I don't watch it. I personally believe that the IPL dilutes the quality of Test cricket and increases the chance of spot fixing! Why should a 2 month window be left open in the international calendar so the Indian money spinners can throw their cash around?

Back