Is it right?

scooter22

Is it right?

Should i have to change my batting style for the team even though i am the teams best batsmen and the way that i used to go was very successful? I used to be a grafter of runs, even though i have most of the shots, i didnt score very quickly, but i rarely got out. We got a new coach this year and i got told that i needed to score quicker. This year we get bowled every match but the coach says it is to give everybody a go. What is more important in under 15 cricket, recognising talent and trying to win games, or giving everybody a go and making friends??

Re: Is it right?

It's a tough one to be honest. Learning to score quickly is no bad thing, even if it's not your natural game. Knowing how to up the run rate (whether big hitting or working the ball around for ones/twos) is a good skill and one worth working on. However, it shouldn't come at the expense of your normal game. I would personally have had you working on the scoring rate in the nets, but playing your more natural game in matches.

scooter22;384231 said:
What is more important in under 15 cricket, recognising talent and trying to win games, or giving everybody a go and making friends??

Again, a tough one. I guess that from the coaches point of view he's a little damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He obviously has to retain players (that is the one of the big aims of youth cricket - providing the next generation), players that may not be great but will stay in the game playing 2/3/4 grade but at the same time he should be developing and nurturing talent.

Without knowing more about the situation it does seem that his vision is slightly off kilter and he is focussing a bit too much on trying to keep everyone happy. A fact of cricket is that not every body will bat in every game, likewise not every one will bowl. It is a team game and the objective is to win, not just take part. However, that is tempered slightly by it being youth cricket where the aim is also participation and fun.

scooter22;384231 said:
Should i have to change my batting style for the team even though i am the teams best batsmen and the way that i used to go was very successful? I used to be a grafter of runs, even though i have most of the shots, i didnt score very quickly, but i rarely got out. We got a new coach this year and i got told that i needed to score quicker. This year we get bowled every match but the coach says it is to give everybody a go. What is more important in under 15 cricket, recognising talent and trying to win games, or giving everybody a go and making friends??

This is a good point. Junior cricket is all about giving the kids a good, however I think from 16s you must learn how to win. Play your game once your in Senior cricket you have 80 over to bat so someone that can steddy the ship you will be worth your weight in gold.

But cricket is a team game and if your coach needs quick runs then he must have a reason for that? Have you been successful scoring quicker?

This is really interesting.

I have just finished managing a team at U16s, many from 6 years old. In this particular club, the manager does not coach... or rather, the coach does not manage.

May sound a bit queer but it means the coach can concentrate on the players' strengths and weaknesses without any reference to a game plan. The team list, is then the responsibility of the manager. I would then be able to choose what I wanted for each particular match; league or cup. Quite often, this changed with the different situations/conditions/opponent. However, I was fortunate enough to have a big squad to draw from. At the end of the season, all got to play but more importantly, all got to play to their strengths with their own style/flair.

Getting back to the point... coaches should be able to coach the player.

Of course, there is always room for improvement. A player may be the best in their squad at something but they will not be the best in their club. When they are the best in their club, they will not be the best in their county... then country etc. You should never be content with status quo but you should change for you... not your team. From a manager's point of view, a team of clones is the worse possible scenario.

scooter22;384231 said:
What is more important in under 15 cricket, recognising talent and trying to win games, or giving everybody a go and making friends??

It's a difficult one at an age such as that.

Really in a perfect world it would be good to have at least two grades at all ages.

Saying that though, all ages must have fun at any local cricket, no matter the grading or age. It is a sport after all, and that sport is cricket. Anything that doesn't lead to fun should be taken out of the game, and people having tantrums because they get out etc should be taken out of the game as quickly as possible locally. Having fun should be the aim, and if that is giving everyone a go, then that should be done.

I remember a guy batting at number 6 in our team when we had 3 very strong batsman at the top of the order. In one day matches he occasionally had a couple of overs at the end to bat, otherwise nothing. The guys at the top would score consistently over and over again. This number 6 didn't bowl either.

So we decided to promote him to opening for a couple of games, and he stuck as our opener because he was quite talented anyway. If everyone doesn't have a go, you may not discover their potential.

Because you are the team's best player, you may feel a little strange with the change of coach. You were probably comfortable with how the old coach managed the team, and how he treated you as that best player. I am sure you are giving this coach the benefit of the doubt -- but I can understand it feels weird. Perhaps if you take a look at his point of view... you might feel clearer about this situation.

If you are part of an under-15 team that is run by a strong first grade club then you have to understand that the coach has a few things to think about.
The coach has to develop his players to a level suitable to progress through the club. More importantly, the coach also has to keep his players in the club... and what better way than to give everyone a go to bring fun to everyone!

You may then think -- I'm not going to sacrifice myself just for the good of the club, and for these players who aren't as good as me... I want to be an Australian test player one day. So then think of it as an opportunity. You now have free reign to play as aggressively as you like. You can develop, and you will need to, a one day/ twenty twenty style game... a power game. And this has added benefits... You hit 3 or 4 fifties in a row... it looks good... higher levels acknowledge your good technique. You hit 3 or 4 fifties in a row in fifty deliveries... the higher levels will not only notice you... but will really want you. I suppose there is no better way to get noticed than you score in same speed as Bradman... Think of Australian players today -- they all have the ability to score very quickly.

And if you want to keep on playing in a team with a group of players with ambition? Ask to play in a lower senior level team. It's probably time for you to experience better bowling now anyway.

Of course if you are part of an under-15 team that is slightly underdeveloped... why not find a senior club that will accept you in their lowest division.

ok im in the same position my coach believes in giving everyone a go, which is complete bull crap im in U16s which is the last junior year, wat is goin to happen to all the other players who are used to having a soft coach, they are goin to get a massive surprise in mens cricket.

In under 16's it is important to give everyone a go, IMO that means rotating the batting order every now and then to allow lesser batsmen to get a hit. It may also mean letting everyone roll their arm over now and then.

I see no harm in that, in fact I think it's a fundamental part of the under-age game.

I remember playing under 16 games where guys that wouldn't normally bowl roll their arm over.

As you get older you will end up in teams that are structured in the traditional way. The bowlers in the side bat low and the batsmen bat high.

In underage cricket often the opening batsmen are the opening bowlers. As such you often get 5 or 6 guys that really do nothing but field and have a brief hit every now and then.

In our U16s there was a rule that everyone had to roll the arm over for at least one over in a 25 over game and you had to retire after being at the crease for 10 overs. It's bloody juniors ffs, lets everyone get a go and have fun whilst still being competitive for a win. Also made a lot more thinking for the captain as for when to put the pie-chuckers in lol.

Kram81;388186 said:
In our U16s there was a rule that everyone had to roll the arm over for at least one over in a 25 over game and you had to retire after being at the crease for 10 overs. It's bloody juniors ffs, lets everyone get a go and have fun whilst still being competitive for a win. Also made a lot more thinking for the captain as for when to put the pie-chuckers in lol.

Yeah I agree, it is only under 16's, and often (well at least I did anyway) we'd play different formats of the game. Some times you would be serious and other times it would be a bit of fun, I even remember taking the WK gloves for a bit in one game when I never keeped normally.

Some of the best memories I have are playing under-age cricket at school when you'd all get on the bus and go to another school on a Saturday and play from 1 till 5:30. It was awesome because you weren't at a level that demanded the game be taken seriously, most people would nearly always get a hit and then once you'd get out you'd talk amongst yourselves waiting to field.

That was the best bit, the rubbish that was spoken during those periods was unbelievable. That was back in 2001-2002 for me when I was in year 10 and year 11.

Once I hit year 12 I was playing in the first eleven and the game was taken seriously, FFS, we even used to have team meetings after school. That put me off the game a bit because it was taken so seriously.

Under-age cricket should be fun, when your batting always try and play some shots and keep the game moving.

mas cambios;384238 said:
It's a tough one to be honest. Learning to score quickly is no bad thing, even if it's not your natural game. Knowing how to up the run rate (whether big hitting or working the ball around for ones/twos) is a good skill and one worth working on. However, it shouldn't come at the expense of your normal game. I would personally have had you working on the scoring rate in the nets, but playing your more natural game in matches.

Again, a tough one. I guess that from the coaches point of view he's a little damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He obviously has to retain players (that is the one of the big aims of youth cricket - providing the next generation), players that may not be great but will stay in the game playing 2/3/4 grade but at the same time he should be developing and nurturing talent.

Without knowing more about the situation it does seem that his vision is slightly off kilter and he is focussing a bit too much on trying to keep everyone happy. A fact of cricket is that not every body will bat in every game, likewise not every one will bowl. It is a team game and the objective is to win, not just take part. However, that is tempered slightly by it being youth cricket where the aim is also participation and fun.
I think in under 15s its time to get serious. making friends and all good but that's when it starts to count.

Back