Is it usual to lose your googly when you learn other deliveries?

conor

Is it usual to lose your googly when you learn other deliveries?

When I first started to bowl leg spin I was always bowling googly's (not knowing I was bowling them), then I learn't the leg break but now I have lost my googly , help please!

Re: Is it usual to lose your googly when you learn other deliveries?

some would think you are lucky that its not the other way around!!!

most people start out with leg breaks, learn the googly, over-practice it, and then lose their leg break. and it sometimes takes years to get it back.

if youve lost the googly then be careful not to over-practice it. otherwise youll be back to bowling googlies every delivery. the only way to get it back though is to remember what your action was before and replicate it. then practice it in amongst leg breaks.

the googly is over-rated, you dont need one if youve got a good leg break. there are plenty of other variations that are closer to a leg break action and equally or more effective.

conor;391004 said:
When I first started to bowl leg spin I was always bowling googly's (not knowing I was bowling them), then I learn't the leg break but now I have lost my googly , help please!

That is very common with legspinners. We have discussed it often on the 3 wrist spin threads but it's time we had another look.

Philpott reckons you can do it best starting underarm. Bowl some legspin underarm and it will leave your hand on the inside of your arm, fingers pointing left. Underarm the wrongun by twisting your arm around and spin the ball off the outside of your arm, fingers pointing right.
Gradually raise it to round arm and then overarm. The overarm wrongun has the arm twisted so the elbow points up to the sky the ball is spun with the third finger, like a legbreak but the back of the hand faces the batsman, and it comes out near the palm and 4th finger. It helps to drop the left shoulder and bowl a bit more overarm than your legbreak to start with.
You can practise it against a wall over a couple yards and compare a legbreak and wrongun and check you have the release right. The wrongun will spin to the right of you off the wall and the legbreak spins left and you catch it with your left hand. The wall never lies.

It's going to be hard conor, particularly as you were not really aware that what you were bowling were googlies.

Your post reminded me of something Dave said....

someblokecalleddave;341385 said:
Neuropathway - that's the word I've been looking for with regards The Googly Syndrome. Where when you learn the Googly it is so radically different from the Leg Break if you do it so much it re-wires your brain and you can no longer bowl the Leg Break and you have to re-learn the leg break from scratch. Is that what it means?...

Jim2109;391010 said:
the googly is over-rated, you dont need one if youve got a good leg break. there are plenty of other variations that are closer to a leg break action and equally or more effective.

Definately overarated. It is handy to have one, just to be able to show the batsman he needs to watch out for it, but not essential. A straight ball variation is better to start with.

I think Macca's point is probably the most helpful regarding a straight ball. I think in the short term having gone through a severe bout of the Googly Syndrome and having a Googly as my stock ball you kind of become almost as in-effective as a finger-spinner and the amount of wickets you'll take is limited unless you're bowling against a team of left-handers!

I wouldn't worry about it in the short term and I'd focus on a Top-Spinner as a key variation - just look at how well Swanne does with basically 2 variations - a ball that turns and a ball that goes straight. Focus on your top-spinner and get that sussed and I reckon you'll find that the odd one will come out as a Googly because you've got your wrist coming back round in the right direction to go from the Top-Spinner to the Googly.

I went from being one of the worst bowlers in my team with the googly as my stock ball in 2008 to one of the best bowlers in my team in 2009 with a leg break. I think I may have taken 1 wicket with a googly in 2009 all the others were 95% Leg Breaks. Stick with the leg break - a wicket every 15 balls can't be too wrong?

someblokecalleddave;391032 said:
... you kind of become almost as in-effective as a finger-spinner ...

Hey! No bagging the finger spinners! :p

someblokecalleddave;391331 said:
I thought someone would notice that! Only winding you all up.

Must be jealousy...

Back