Is Scottish Football better with or with out the Old Firm of Rangers and Celtic?

Is Scottish Football better with or with out the Old Firm of Rangers and Celtic?

• Better with

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better without

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters

Stevens

I think yes becuase thier type of domination (90% of total domestic league titles won) in any type of competition/tournament is bad for any competition tournament.

Re: Is Scottish Football better with or with out the Old Firm of Rangers and Celtic?

Surely, it's up to the other teams to catch up?

If Aberdeen became the Man City of SPL, things would no doubt get interesting but there are a lot of factors as to why that will never happen, even if the money was there.

Re: Is Scottish Football better with or with out the Old Firm of Rangers and Celtic?

You would have to say with both those teams that you have mentioned. When I see them now I am thinking wtf is this league doing.

What decent folk want sectarianism comming to town when the Old Firm teams visit town. AND TROUBLE. Few if anything.

Aberdeen January 2002 v Rangers
Motherwell v Celtic September 2008
Rangers v Celtic September 2008

Just to name a few occations...

plus because of the Old Firm we have that stupid league of 12 with it's unfair split instead of a proper league of 16 (playing each other twice for 30 games per club per season) which most people want (except the gready SPL chairmen who want to play the OLD Firm 4 times per season for the money).

There is more to life than just money!

I wouldn't mind seeing the Scottish giants being challenged in the EPL but the fact of the matter is if Scotland lose the Old Firm the league will dwindle and be forgotten has a slightly good league.

The other teams need money, need some rich businessmen taking over these sides and pump in some much needed coin. But quality players aren't really attracted to come up to cold Scotland either. Not many positive's going for them except I reckon they have some of the most passionate fans in the world

Stevens;268624 said:
What decent folk want sectarianism comming to town when the Old Firm teams visit town. AND TROUBLE. Few if anything.

Aberdeen January 2002 v Rangers
Motherwell v Celtic September 2008
Rangers v Celtic September 2008

Just to name a few occations...

plus because of the Old Firm we have that stupid league of 12 with it's unfair split instead of a proper league of 16 (playing each other twice for 30 games per club per season) which most people want (except the gready SPL chairmen who want to play the OLD Firm 4 times per season for the money).

There is more to life than just money!
Do one thing for me mate. Don't get angry all because the guys are successful. It doesn't make you look good.

Scottish football would be nothing with out both teams. Long live Glasgow Celtic and Liverpool

Celtic & Rangers bring in fans, tv rights, euro pedigree, and most importantly- $$$$$$$.

(Lack of pound symbol on my Aussie keyboard! ;) )

Without those two teams, the Scottish league would be as important as the Welsh League- almost non-existant!

I picked the Welsh league as they have a club in the English Leagues in Cardiff! ;)

scottish football is in one h*LL of a mess!

crap weather

Dull games

stale and boring

Held back and hindered by selfish people only interested in taking things out of rather than giving things to Scottish Football.

:mad:

mas cambios;268424 said:
Surely, it's up to the other teams to catch up?

If Aberdeen became the Man City of SPL, things would no doubt get interesting but there are a lot of factors as to why that will never happen, even if the money was there.
Agreed.
Somehow, someway, the others have got to try and catch up and it surely will happen. It may take 10, 20 or even 30 years but one team will surely emerge from nowhere.
Look at the Eredivisie for example. Who's in the top 2? Feyenoord? No. Ajax? No. PSV? No.
You wouldn't believe it would you, it's actually AZ Alkmaar and FC Twente Enschede in positions 1 and 2.:eek:
Russia has also emerged as one of the most competitive leagues in the world. Gone are the days where Spartak and CSKA Moscow dominated the comp and teams outside Moscow like Zenit St.Petersburg and Rubin Kazan have emerged, and the former have made their mark on Europe as well.;)
Who do you guys think would be the most likely outside the Old Firm to emerge from the shadows?
You would probably favour Hearts or Aberdeen wouldn't you?
PS. As others have mentioned, as boring as it is, where would Scotland be without the Old Firm?
And if you want to talk about an uncompetitive, same old, same old league, perhaps you should have a look at the history of the Portugese League, although admittedly bigger with more teams I'm pretty sure only 3 times in the history of that comp (in about 80 years of competition) where teams outside the Big 3 have taken out the title.

Back