Is this reverse out swing?

Re: Is this reverse out swing?

micoach;346077 said:
I wouldn't be reverse swing at your pace.

It may be contrast swing, which is very slightly different. The main difference being you don't need to get the ball above 90mph (144kph) to do it.

Here is the science bit: Cricinfo - The science of swing bowling

Oh i see thanks for the link.

But then wouldnt a high number of players being doing contrast swing as I dont see many players reaching 144kph or more?

micoach;346077 said:
I wouldn't be reverse swing at your pace.

It may be contrast swing, which is very slightly different. The main difference being you don't need to get the ball above 90mph (144kph) to do it.

You don't need to bowl at 90mph to get reverse swing, as explained in the article you provided, which states:

"As the roughness on this leading side (facing the batsman) is increased, the critical bowling speed above which reverse swing can be obtained is reduced"

Meaning that you can successfully bowl reverse swing, without the need to bowl over 90mph, if the roughness of the ball is increase on one side. This was proven in the West Indies recently, when James Anderson, who does not bowl consistently above 90mph was getting the ball to reverse, and reverse late, with the reverse inswinger really hooping in.

believe me you don't need to get the ball above 90mph to reverse swing the ball, i get natural inswing and with an old ball can move it away slightly when one side gets rough and it swings away from the shiny side and I normally only bowl mid 60s mph

as for whether the video is reverse wswing or not its really hard to tell as you can't see the quality of the ball and if it swing towards the rough side(if one side is rough), it may just be normal swing or contrast swing lke micoach said

King Pietersen;346118 said:
You don't need to bowl at 90mph to get reverse swing, as explained in the article you provided, which states:

You are right. The article states 85mph.

Back