jimmy33's Blog

jimmy33

jimmy33's Blog

Well at first I was a little worried about making a blog, especially after we got absolutely hammered in the first game. But after a better showing this week, I decided it may be best to record my season.

I play a format where the match is split over 2 Sundays, where one team bats 55 overs one weekend and then bowls 55 overs the next, except in certain circumstances.

First match against Jandakot, was terrible to say the least. First weekend we had 7 people show up, bowled out for 120 odd (of which I made 15 coming in at 3). Then both their openers made tons, they got about 300 and then they tried to go for outright. In our format, in the second innings, those that faced the least amount of deliveries go first. So as I faced the most, I came in at 11. We ended up collapsing so I had to face the last ball, which was no trouble.

Next match we had the bye

Which brings me to today. Our captain Isaac won the toss and decided to field against Kardinya. One of our openers and the first drop removed one of their openers, and with a run out they were left struggling at 50/5 at drinks (18 overs). The next session was much worse however, they got to about 120 without losing another wicket. The remaining opener made his 50. After the second drinks we came out and opened with our pacemen, providing instant reward, taking 3 quick wickets. With 8 overs to go in the day, the skipper threw me the ball (after much coaxing I might add). First over of offies saw me get into my groove. Then next over, third ball I decided to give the ball a bit more flight, this got the opener out of his crease. To his horror he saw the ball dip and spin between bat and pad, ending up right over middle stump, providing an easy stumping and my first wicket of the season. The opener was out for 82. The rest of the match was rather uneventful, and they ended on about 170, hopefully giving me, because I'm opening, an easy chance for my first 50 in cricket. Fingers crossed!

Re: jimmy33's Blog

Mas, it is a league rule. We're only U17's so I guess the aim of the game is for the enjoyment of the game, it makes sure everyone gets a bat. It is alright, it makes outright victories far easier!

Jonesy, offies are great! I've been really enjoying bowling them in the nets, and my success has finally transfered onto the pitch. Thanks to MrOffBreaks, I've started to practise the doosra, hopefully I can get that going. The reason I changed from pace is that I was too unfit and getting lots of niggles, and being as lazy as I am, I just changed to something easier :p

I think there must be something wrong with my action and the way I let the ball go, because I get barely any turn, and an offie at training gets massive sharp turn. Any tips?

Sure, I'll give it a shot.

The grip should be index and middle finger gripping the seam, and the bigger distance between the fingers the more leverage you get. The thumb should just be on the ball to support it, with very little pressure applied by the thumb. "Aim for the sky" is the mantra offies should live by, that is get the arm as high as possible, not only will it assist flight, but also control. The index finger is your main spinning finger, so when you spin the ball, run that finger along the seam.

As an aside, the blokes at your training may be dragging their fingers across the seam, so it will get more turn, but by doing that you comprimise your ability to get flight, bounce and drift.

Hope that helped and anything else you need, just ask

great to see you've started a blog jimmy, and congrats on getting your first wicket, hopefully all goes well for you when you bat next:)

Thanks mate, I'm looking forward to being able to bat an entire day. 170 odd isn't too massive a task, and (touch wood) we should chase it down.

On a bad note, we bowled 53 extras on the weekend. Pretty crap

jimmy33;279855 said:
As an aside, the blokes at your training may be dragging their fingers across the seam, so it will get more turn, but by doing that you comprimise your ability to get flight, bounce and drift.

Thanks for that. I just don't get what you mean in that bit.

53 extras, maaaaan, that's awful. All well, you should still win. I'm expecting an 80 not out by you.

Ummmm, its kinda tough to explain, sorry. Its sort of like they are bowling an off cutter, if that makes sense. Instead of bringing the fingers down the seam, creating the correct rotation, they drag their fingers down it, so the seam is scrambled. Hard to put into words, but I hope that helps.

Your expecting the 80 n.o.. I'm aiming for a ton :))). We get to bat out our entire 55, even when we pass their total, unless we declare, so there is a chance (albeit small) that I can make the 100.

As for cricket, nothing to report. Training Tuesday, batted crap and bowled crap, so I'm gonna forget about it. Probably should've gone today but couldn't as I had an exam. Turns out I topped the class in my Physics exam with 82.5%. Pretty stoked with that. All I have now is Intro-Calc (gonna fail soooooooooo bad) tomorrow then I am done for the year.

Good work on the exams, Ive got my year 11 pysch exam next friday (going to be very hard) and then all my year 10 exams the week after.

Im in vic.

To introduce us to a year 11 subject, we do one in year ten. And then when we are in year 11, that subject becomes our year 12 subject:)

Oh my bad, I have absolutly no idea why I assumed South Australia, none whatsoever :p

Interesting concept, although I don't like the idea of Year 10's being under pressure so early. People have been sitting the TEE/HSC for a very long time without being introduced to it early. I guess its the way schooling is going, trying to level the playing field, which I think is stupid.

Yea I dont like it as your year ten subjects aren't really serious, then you have your year 11 subject breaking your back. And very insulted on the South Australian part:p

Sorry. I think its because I Googled Burra and came up with some B&B or restaurant in South Australia. Ah well, Year 11 has been a hoot, it really is something to look forward to. Even though the exams can be stressful, there is no greater feeling then them finishing, and then its party time! :D

Back