jimmy33's Blog

Re: jimmy33's Blog

Yep, all finished. Done the last one today and now I have finished for the year. The 3 month holiday is going to be sweet. Not much to report on the cricket front, watched a bit of the All-Stars Game, I was going for Steve Magoffin, my favourite bowler ever.

Well something to report. I got the call up for 5th's. At first I thought it was work wanting me to come in, but they left a message, I called them back and I got a game at the amusingly named "Bruce Lee Reserve". More to follow...

Well just got back from the match. Boy I've never been so bloody tired in my life!

As for the match, well we lost. At least it wasn't any different to juniors. We bowled first in a 40 over a side match. Picked up a few early wickets, before this bloke came and started tonking. He eventually reached his 50, all the while wickets were falling at the other end. I came on for my first over with them 4 or 5 down. First over was pretty good, a few edges, and a 4 off the last ball. Next over, first ball, decieved this guy in flight, flicked to early and the leading edge was taken at backward point. Pretty happy with that. Next over I got another guy caught on the boundary. Finished with 2/24 off 6 (the most consecutive overs I've ever bowled). This left us with about 140 to chase off 40.

Well the batting was very poor. Opener out in the 2nd over, and it never looked better. I came in at 4, got a single pretty early put couldn't score a single run afterwards. Wickets just kept falling and I couldn't time the ball off the square. I ended up playing on for 1 off like 20 overs. We were all out for 90.

Got my juniors game tomorrow. Hopefully I can do better

Thanks.

My bad batting weekend has continued, but this time I had an excuse (well sort of). Chasing around 170, we got off to a bad start with my partner and the number 3 both falling to a left armer. Me and the wicket-keeper decided to wait the bowler out as he can only bowl 5 straight. We were going alright, before in his last over, he got me LBW. Now I'm not one to get angry after getting out, but today I was absolutly livid. For one; he was bowling around the wicket, so the ball was angling towards fine leg. Two; I was batting on middle, so my legs would be pretty much outside the line of the stumps. Three; it hit me on the thigh pad. And four; I was playing on a synthetic wicket, so any ball not a half-volley or really full would go over the stumps. So it left a pretty sour taste in the mouth, especially since the umpire was the other teams coach.

Wickets fell pretty regularly after that, although the keeper did make 50*. He's averaging about 80 from 2 matches, so pretty good. Ah well, you win some, you lose some

Well done on the bowling in the seniors match. Top stuff.

Bad luck batting wise, but sometimes you just have those kinda weekends with the bat. And bad luck on the crappy LBW.

Ouch thats a really harsh LBW.

The old light green synthetic wickets or the new darker ones?

Ive found the old ones are great for LBW's from a bowlers point of view, they keep really low, but the new ones are shocking for batting and bowling.

Better luck batting next week mate.

Thanks guys.

You know, I'm not sure. Its light green, but bounces like all hell. Very rare to see a ball stay low on the synthetics over here.

At one of the nets near my house they have installed a couple of new pitches. Good pitches, but turns like buggery. I got an offie (an OFFIE!) to turn from outside off (well outside) to down leg. Suffice to say it was hard to both bat and bowl

I'm sort of in a bit of a pickle at the moment. Recently I've had a lot more success with the ball then with the bat, so I was wondering whether to start drifting towards my offspin. Then today I was batting well, really enjoying it (until I got that LB decision of course), so I turned away from the spinner decision. Then today, to vent my anger, I bowled pace for the first time in a while, and they were coming out a dream, and faster then I had ever bowled before. So now I have no idea what to do, and at this point I want a bit of direction in what I want to do. Any suggestions from that tiny bit of info??

Do what you enjoy the most mate, if you enjoy it you're bound to get better at it.

That being said, what are the spinning stocks at your club like? If they're good, then you might have to switch to pace, but if you're getting a consistent bowl with the spinners, and you enjoy them more then stick with that.

As for the batting mate, there is always time to both bat and bowl effectively, and always time to practice both. Nothing wrong with being an allrounder eh?

Yeah, but in junior cricket all rounders are a dime a dozen. And the thing is, all though I really enjoy bowling offies, and I have had good success with them, my captain just won't bowl me. I mean I have spoken to him, but this other spinner always gets the look in before me. The thing that has held me back from pace has been my fitness, but since that is growing, really nothing is stopping me from bowling pace. I think I will have to wait till I net it up with my mate next (Tuesday), bowl both, have a decent bat, see what happens.

Don't worry, your juniors captain won't be your captain forever. If you want a bowl in juniors, tell your captain you'll bowl pace, but in training bowl offies and in seniors matches where there should be a different captain who's more willing take your word on what you want to bowl. It sounds like you do bowl offies more than pace?

And as breeno said, there's no rush, you have time to watch your skills develop and see which ones take you the furthest.

Shame is, I can't play seniors anymore, I have to work.

I have started to bowl offies more, but that was because I wasn't fit enough to bowl pace. Now that fitness isn't a problem, and I have become quite pacy, I've started to question what I want to do. I'm going to go to the nets with my friends tomorrow, so I'll try a bit of both, see which one feels best

Back