Just what is meant by the spirit of Cricket?

mas cambios

Just what is meant by the spirit of Cricket?

Seeing as the sledging thread is going way off topic, have a dedicated one for the spirit of cricket and what it actually means.

Just what is the spirit of Cricket?

Spiderlounge;385716 said:
Duncan Fletcher gave what I thought was a rather good guide to what the spirit of the game means - he said if you would be ashamed to see schoolchildren mimicking your behaviour you've gone too far.

"spirit of cricket"

Sledging has nothing to do with the spirit of cricket, why?, because sledging has been an integral part of the game for at least 40 years, probably even longer.

Sledging in the modern game is over-stated. Any sledging, in most cases, goes in one ear and out the other and as soon as the games ends then all is forgotten.

Half the problem is the media's obsession with sledging and the reporting of it in the press. I have heard commentators routinely say that they turn up the stump mikes at certain intervals of the game to listen in to what is being said, this isn't broadcast on television, it is simpyl available to the commentator.

These guys then open their traps with something like "it is getting firey out there", often following it up with things like, "this is test cricket at its best".

Stump mikes should not be at the mercy of commentators turning knobs in the com box for their own personal entertainment.

You can hardly look down at sledging and then start frothing at the mouth with excitment when it gets firey in a game.

Not many people really consider what Fletcher has to say when it comes to cricket for a variety of reasons.

Re: Sledging.. How far is too far?????

SteveyD;396438 said:
a bit off topic ;)
I once attended a Charity night with andrew flintoff and various england team members, and they had someone ask a question of "whats the best sledging you heard?"
I think it was swanny came back and told a story about how once they were playing hussey in some county cricket, and their wicket keeper was giving hussey all the sledging starting off with
"Mate your ugly"
"Mate , your seriously ugly, i'm glad your facing the other way"
"Mate, your so ugly, you could play for the International Ugly XI"
"Mate, your so ugly, you'd be opening the batting for them!"
To which hussey turned around and replied
"Maybe mate, but your wife would be opening the bowling"

(I may have got this slightly wrong but you get the jist ;) )

Not too long after he started his career Hussey gave up sledging because he said he was quite terrible at it, so good to see him get one back!

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;396445 said:
"spirit of cricket"

Sledging has nothing to do with the spirit of cricket, why?, because sledging has been an integral part of the game for at least 40 years, probably even longer.

Sledging in the modern game is over-stated. Any sledging, in most cases, goes in one ear and out the other and as soon as the games ends then all is forgotten.

Half the problem is the media's obsession with sledging and the reporting of it in the press. I have heard commentators routinely say that they turn up the stump mikes at certain intervals of the game to listen in to what is being said, this isn't broadcast on television, it is simpyl available to the commentator.

These guys then open their traps with something like "it is getting firey out there", often following it up with things like, "this is test cricket at its best".

Stump mikes should not be at the mercy of commentators turning knobs in the com box for their own personal entertainment.

You can hardly look down at sledging and then start frothing at the mouth with excitment when it gets firey in a game.

Not many people really consider what Fletcher has to say when it comes to cricket for a variety of reasons.

They have to block out some from the public, because some isn't suitable for everyone to hear.

Spirit of the game is the thing that has stopped it turning into soccer/football, to put it simply. These days you see soccer players fake dives for penalties, argue with referees, act like pricks and get into fights. The VERY last thing I ever want to see on a professional cricket field is a fight, no matter what happens out there. As an example, if I see an Australian do that, despite years of following them, I would never watch a game of theirs again, simple.

The more and more sledging is taught of as 'good' the more and more the young generation is going to embrace it.

As long as sledging goes in one ear, out the other, everything is fine, it's happened since the first day of cricket. But when things are said that can't possibly be let go, is when problems arise.

Personal problems, race, and any other form of discrimination must not be targeted. A good old "easy wicket here" or "the batsmen must only get easier after this guy" is all that should be said in club cricket, nothing that will enrage them either on or off the field.

I don't want fielders diving for catches, obviously dropping them and then claiming them. Don't want to see doctoring the ball or destroying the pitch, people arguing with the umpires, and downright being pricks.

It's far from a gentleman's game, but it's closer than anything else. Keep it like that.

The game of is in control of the on-field umpires, and these days, the third umpire as well.

IMO the going against the 'spirit of cricket' is when you intenionally try and decieve the umpires.

For example, it is hard for an umpire to tell if a player leaving the field is due to a injury concern, or just to freshen up.

It is hard for an umpire to tell if a ball has been articifially modified in all bar the most extreme circumstances.

IMO the spirit of cricket applys to situations in which a player's own honesty and conscience is the driving force behind what he is doing.

If a player is buggered, and he says to the umpire, "ump, I've torn my hamstring, I need a runner" then the umpire has to oblige. The player in question could just be stuffed in the late stages of a day/night run chase.

This IMO is what the spirit of cricket refers to.

The umpires know what is being said on the field, they can hear what is being said, if they believe it is out of order then they should step in.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;396461 said:
The game of is in control of the on-field umpires, and these days, the third umpire as well.

IMO the going against the 'spirit of cricket' is when you intenionally try and decieve the umpires.

For example, it is hard for an umpire to tell if a player leaving the field is due to a injury concern, or just to freshen up.

It is hard for an umpire to tell if a ball has been articifially modified in all bar the most extreme circumstances.

IMO the spirit of cricket applys to situations in which a player's own honesty and conscience is the driving force behind what he is doing.

If a player is buggered, and he says to the umpire, "ump, I've torn my hamstring, I need a runner" then the umpire has to oblige. The player in question could just be stuffed in the late stages of a day/night run chase.

This IMO is what the spirit of cricket refers to.

The umpires know what is being said on the field, they can hear what is being said, if they believe it is out of order then they should step in.

That's where it has to be enforced at a young level.

Cricket shouldn't be modeled around other sports. It shouldn't be up to the umpires to control the game, in fact it is the captains that control the game.

Cricket is the only major sport in the world where absolutely anything can happen, but only as long as the two on field captains agree.

If Strauss and Ponting come together in the middle of an Ashes match and Ponting says "Gee, I think it would be awfully nice if there was to be a statue of a pink elephant in the middle of the pitch, how 'bout you Andrew?" and Strauss replied with "Of course it would! I'm not playing anymore until they have one put there!", then the umpires would have to put a pink elephant statue in the middle of the field.

Seriously, though, if the captains agree that one team can play with 40 players and the other 11, it is possible. If they agree that someone should have a runner, then it is possible. The umpires aren't the ones with the most control in the game.

And going by that, would you try and cheat your own captain, and therefore your own team?

It's up to the players to control their actions. Youngsters have to get that into their head, to play cricket properly, you have to play by the rules (who would have thought?). Those rules go all the way into the unspoken rules as well, the ones that are just 'there'.

If you have children now, or in the future, LtD, please don't teach them that the umpire is the be all and end all in cricket, the have to understand that playing cricket is not their right, but it's an honour for them to be playing at any level.

You both agree that cricket is a sport of honesty , just disagreeing on the spirit of cricket.

Personally I believe that the spirit of cricket is much more towards boris' interpretation. LtD I believe what your saying is more of a correlation of say football (soccer ) into cricket.
The only way you can enforce it is through the perception of people, and thus the youngsters are important.
Last season we were playing a friendly match and one of the players kid brother played with us, he was what, 13? Still, bowling, he took 4 wickets , a little left hand bowler was destroying the other teams upper order ! When it came to bat, he was at number 11, with me at number 9. First ball he tried to pull it, wicket keeper caught it and claimed an edge. His brother was umpiring at square leg and didn't hear it, but went over to him and asked him "did you edge that" and he sheepishly said yes and was told he should walk if he did. Its just times like that you need to make sure they know and understand ;)

I would pay good money for a pink statue in the middle

Yeah but part of the 'spirit of cricket' is to accept the umpires decision.

Now, here is a great example of differing views on 'the spirit of cricket'.

When a batsmen is given out, and he knows he wasn't out, often the batsmen is surprised. You have to budget for that, you have to allow a batsmen to show some expression that correlates to being surprised.

For example, when Ponting was given out caught behind against NZ in a recent ODI match, when the ball clipped his helmet as he bailed out of a hook shot.

Ponting's immediate reaction when given out was almost to start laughing, as he put one hand on his hip. He held the poise for a brief moment, as I said, while almost laughing, obviously Ponting was laughing at how crap the decision was.

However, Ponting immediately started to walk off, laughing with the Kiwi's and possibly sharing a joke or two about the umpiring, because even the kiwis knew they had got lucky.

Now, is that gesture, standing with a hand on your hip, classified against the spirit of cricket.

I don't think it was, why, because it was done immediately after being given out and you have to allow a player to show some surprise.

However, if Ponting had lingered at the crease, well after being given out, then he is now showing dissent at the umpire's decision.

You have to allow players to show a degree of surprise at a poor decision, however, I have heard people say any show of emotion that goes against an umpire's decision is against the 'spirit of cricket'.

Now, that is crap as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with you mostly there.

It depends on how the players react, not whether they react or not.

Ponting wasn't staring down the umpire, and the umpire had probably just noticed that he had given him out when he shouldn't have been, but it was already too late to take it back.

It depends on the umpire and their comfortability with the actions taking place. If an under 12 did that to an umpire (laugh at the decision and stand there) as an umpire I would probably just have a word to them after the game to respect the decision no matter what. Just to re-enforce any little thing, not make it a punishment but just advice.

International level is a different beast altogether, and unfortunately is where role models are copied.

Also, if the both captains agree to overturn an umpires decision they can. If both umpires think it was not out, then it is not out. If both captains agree that it is out, then it is out.

That's where walking comes into it as well. The captain can't be out of the field with his batsman, so can't make that decision for them, they must make it for themselves and be honest about it. You have been outplayed, accept it and get on with life, don't hinge your gamesmanship on the umpire having bad hearing or whatnot.

If it is started at club level, then it flows up the ranks. Mostly only those players who are serious about this matter are actually serious about their cricket as well, so thankfully a lot of them get through to the top levels, but it is slowly dying down.

It is going to die down over time, as it just will, but the slower, the better.

Re: Just what is meant by the spirit of Cricket?

The idea behind the spirit of cricket is to see the game played in a fair and appropriate manor!

Its not the umpires decision on the spirit of the game, they are there to uphold the laws of the game not the players behavior and have no control over it, apart from advising the skippers to deal with it!

Back