King Pietersen's Blog- **Updated 02-05-08**

Re: King Pietersen's Blog- **Updated 01-06-08**

Sunday 1st of June- A career best :D

Just got back from a game, and it was a good'un for me. We bowled first on what looked like a wicket that would seam around and be lively first up. Not alot happened with the new ball, and 20 overs gone I came into bowl. First 2 overs were lively but i was just finding my line, both going for 4 runs. Next over I got my first wicket, that of their opening batsman, with a jaffer. Pitched on off stump, hit the seam and moved away taking the edge. The next over I took another, this time a mis-timed pull shot caught by the fielder at mid-wicket, and a good catch it was.

The Third wicket came a few overs on, after coming very close a few times, and actually hitting one of the batsmen in the midrift with one that bounced abit. The third wicket was a perfect yorker, full and straight and through the defences of a good batsman, who looked in good touch. I then took the elusive 4th wicket, the first time i'd done so in my year and a half at club level. This was another full straight one which took out leg-stump.

I finished with figures of 8.1 overs, 2 maidens, 4 for 23. I bowled 8 overs on the spin for the 2nd time this season, and would have bowled 10 on the trot if we hadn't have bowled them out for 105.

105 to chase, and not a good start, I batted at 6 and came in at 15-4. I started well, kept out 4 balls from one of the pacey openers. Then i squeezed a cover drive through for a single in the next over. Then i played a stupid shot, trying to go back and whip the ball leg-side. The ball didn't bounce and hit me plum in front. I walked back with 1 to my name, and dissapointed as I felt good in the middle, i must surely be due a score soon. In the end we were bowled all out for 53, very poor batting performance.

Overall, dissapointing that we lost, but 4 wickets and my name in the paper lifts my spirits somewhat. Just wish i could have capitalised on the good pitch conditions and average bowling. Least i managed to get moved up the order :D

Re: King Pietersen's Blog- **Updated 02-05-08**

Jelly Beanz said:
Congrats, sounds like a really good spell with nice economy.

How old are you? Do bowling restrictions apply?? Last year we basically ignored them at our club but this year they're getting all serious about it and it's fairly annoying tbh.

A law is a law, you can't ignore them. I find it rather strange that you don't always follow them, they are there for a reason.

sounds very similar to our game today. bowled em out for 130 odd and got bowled out for about 40 LOL, shameful performance

We had really stupid rules at our competition, such as the keeper must swap at drinks, but in the end we ignored them and nobody cared the least

How old are you? Do bowling restrictions apply?? Last year we basically ignored them at our club but this year they're getting all serious about it and it's fairly annoying tbh.

It's not some petty club rule though. Can't the captain be punished by law?

Jelly Beanz said:

A law is a law, you can't ignore them. I find it rather strange that you don't always follow them, they are there for a reason.

This was the competition rules, not the club rules. And what would they get charged with? Not following the rules? If anyone had a problem I'm sure the captains would sort it out

We had really stupid rules at our competition, such as the keeper must swap at drinks, but in the end we ignored them and nobody cared the least

Jelly Beanz said:

I'm 18, and 18 is where the restrictions end on the amount of overs you can bowl on the spin. The limit per bowler is 10 overs per bowler though, and I would have bowled my full 10 on the trot if we didn't bowl them out.

It's not some petty club rule though. Can't the captain be punished by law?

Oh ok, we're limited to 15 overs per bowler but it's 50 over matches, not 40.

wolf said:

It was my first proper season with the side and I didn't even know there were limits until towards the end of the season when the opposition scorer pointed it out and stopped me bowling an over!! I do follow them now though, it's just a bit of a bummer to only be able to bowl 7 in a go when I know I can keep it going for 10 or so, and getting 15 (the limit) to divide by 7 means I only ever bowl fairly short spells. I'm sure it's there for a reason though.

This was the competition rules, not the club rules. And what would they get charged with? Not following the rules? If anyone had a problem I'm sure the captains would sort it out

Thursday 5th of June 2008- A first real training session for a while

Yesterday was another chance for a training session and my first decent one for 2 weeks. It turned out to be a pretty decent one, I went into the bowling with confidence after my 4-23 at the weekend, and it certainly helped as I bowled with decent enough pace and good control. I bowled 10 or so deliveries and then got padded up to bat. I started off against the bowling machine, and actually asked for the speed to be turned up :eek: Was on 52mph when I first went in.

As i gained in confidence the lad operating the machine slowly put the speed up on the machine so that I kept confident with the pace. I played well, only got out once and that was from an inside edge when i wasn't ready for the ball. I played nice and straight, hitting my favourite shot, the straight drive with regularity and with good timing. The speed was at a decent pace aswell as I got to the end of the session with the speed reaching 67mph by the end of the session, which i was still timing well.

Batting against this good pace didn't help against the bowlers though, as all but 1 of the bowlers were slower than this, especially the spinner who must have been bowling about 35mph, and i could not hit the thing as it was so slow. I played a few decent leg-glances, one of which i walked across my stumps and whipped a very full ball away with good power and timing. I should have played more defensively though, and tried to assert myself abit too much.

Once i'd got my pads off I returned to my bowling mark and bowled load more deliveries. There was a new guy who's just joined and he came into bad after me, so I gave him a good welcome, clean bowling him in his first delivery with a peach of a yorker. I did generally bowl good lengths and a very good line, with very few balls going wide.

Overall, a very good net session, and i've also been asked to play on Saturday aswell as Sunday, so i'll probably be bowling upwards of 14 overs this weekend, rain permitting of course. It's not looking promising at the moment though. Hopefully it'll pick up by tommorow.

Jelly Beanz said:

I'm 18, and 18 is where the restrictions end on the amount of overs you can bowl on the spin. The limit per bowler is 10 overs per bowler though, and I would have bowled my full 10 on the trot if we didn't bowl them out.

Re: King Pietersen's Blog- Updates from weekend match and net session

Sunday 8th of June- Another game, another comprehensive win

Sunday saw me compete in yet another B Team game at home after rain flooded the oppositions pitch. Our pitch was fairly wet aswell, but the hot conditions meant that bowling first would aid the team best. We won the toss and decided to field first once again, a good move. I was once again asked to open the bowling, and was keen to impress the 3 A Team players who had joined the team for the game.

I started OK, having a few balls edged behind and having the openers jump around in their crease, and got very close to a wicket. I was set to bowl 6 overs on the spin, but at the end of my 6th over I produced an absolute jaffer, swinging away pitching and moving off the seam. This led the captain to give me another 2 overs, so another 8 over spell. I decided i'd start to try and mix it up in this game aswell, implementing the off-cutter that i've been working on in the nets, and I managed to get one to really cut in and almost decieve the batsman. Only 1 really deviated off the pitch though, so it could do with abit more work I feel.

I ended up with decent figures of 8 overs, 0 maidens, 0-21. Pretty good economy and was unlucky not to pick up a wicket. After a slow start in the wickets column, we suddenly picked up, and started taking wickets at regular intervals, eventually bowling the opposition out for a measly 65.

This gave us the chance at another small run chase, one that we managed to knock off with some ease. The shot of the day was played aswell, by one of the A team players, getting forward and smashing one of their medium pacers straight back over his head, over the trees and into the field behind for a massive 6, the biggest shot i've ever seen in person, was a huge hit. We ended up knocking the runs off with 8 wickets in hand, and pleasingly I was put up to bat at 6 which was a surprise.

Thursday 12th of June- Another decent net session

Last night I had another net session, and one that proved successful once more. I again decided to get padded up early, so didn't really bowl much at the start, but i managed to pick up a wicket early on. The batting went surprisingly well again, we only had 1 net tonight, so we got 15 minutes against the bowlers, and I batted the best i've ever batted. With the "coach" standing behind the net I tried to make sure I impressed, and I really did.

I started off confidentally with a gorgeous drive, taking a good stride down the wicket and smashing the bowler down the ground, along the ground. Then one of the quicker bowlers decided to go round the wicket and I struggled with his first 2 deliveries, just poking at them outside the off stump, but third delivery i got forward and drove him down the ground. I also played a cracking powerful sweep along the ground against one of the spinners, which the coach was very impressed with, just a shame I tried the same shot next ball and looked a ******** ;p.

I managed to not only keep my wicket in tact for the 15 minutes, but also play some lovely shots, and impress everyone. The captain for my game on Saturday (rain permitting) was obviously impressed as he said that I could be batting at 4 or 5 in the academy team, so I finally have a chance to get some runs under my belt. If i play like I did in the net i'll certainly pick up some runs.

My bowling wasn't too impressive after this stage though, only picking up 1 further wicket, a clean bowled, but a knock to my foot when batting, trying a Pietersen-esque leg-glance meant I was a little restricted in my running, an injury that annoyingly still hurts this morning, but I'll be fine by tommorow, or so I hope anyway. Overall, a top net session and my batting continues to develop, i took a much more sensible approach in this net session as recently i've just been trying to slog, which helps nothing.

Oh ok, we're limited to 15 overs per bowler but it's 50 over matches, not 40.

wolf said:

It was my first proper season with the side and I didn't even know there were limits until towards the end of the season when the opposition scorer pointed it out and stopped me bowling an over!! I do follow them now though, it's just a bit of a bummer to only be able to bowl 7 in a go when I know I can keep it going for 10 or so, and getting 15 (the limit) to divide by 7 means I only ever bowl fairly short spells. I'm sure it's there for a reason though.

Saturday 14th June- An academy game and a chance for a bat

Saturday came, I got to the game and was told by the captain we were batting first and I was in to bat at 4. I was chuffed, my hard work at nets has finally paid off and i've got a chance to bat some overs and get some runs under my belt.

My chance to bat finally came after about 16 overs, with the score at about 45-2. I was in facing a medium pacer to start, but took a couple of overs to get off the mark, but eventually did with a nice sweep shot off the spinner. Next over i played an aerial straight drive for 2 to take my score to 3, next ball was short and wide and I latched on and played a McCullum-esque aerial cut shot, which raced for four, after flying over point's head.

I then started to struggle to find the gaps, and was getting frustrated with the ball coming off the middle and carrying straight to fielders. I was becoming increasingly annoyed stuck on 9, so tried to hit out, with the ball only carrying as far as a deep-ish mid on, gone for 9. I was annoyed that i'd got out before reaching double figures, but was pleased with my performance, was nice to get some time in the middle, and some runs, to up my average to 4 for the season :p. Just hope i get a go in a proper B Team game, and not an academy.

We finished off setting them around 140 to win, and they knocked it off with ease, with 3 of the top 4 slogging away. I only bowled 4 overs, but was slogged around, finishing with figures of 4 overs, 0 maidens, 1-38. First time i'd gone at over 5 an over all season. I just couldn't get the ball full enough, and also had 2 catches dropped off my bowling, so it could have been closer if the catches were taken.

Overall, a positive performance in the batting, just a shame i got slogged around and we lost. Was nice to get some runs, and impress my captain with my stroke play. Just need to find the gaps in my next innings, and make some real runs. If the ball had found the gap with all of my shots i'd have probably have got about 30, but i'm happy with 9, i did a job for the team.

Thursday 5th of June 2008- A first real training session for a while

Yesterday was another chance for a training session and my first decent one for 2 weeks. It turned out to be a pretty decent one, I went into the bowling with confidence after my 4-23 at the weekend, and it certainly helped as I bowled with decent enough pace and good control. I bowled 10 or so deliveries and then got padded up to bat. I started off against the bowling machine, and actually asked for the speed to be turned up :eek: Was on 52mph when I first went in.

As i gained in confidence the lad operating the machine slowly put the speed up on the machine so that I kept confident with the pace. I played well, only got out once and that was from an inside edge when i wasn't ready for the ball. I played nice and straight, hitting my favourite shot, the straight drive with regularity and with good timing. The speed was at a decent pace aswell as I got to the end of the session with the speed reaching 67mph by the end of the session, which i was still timing well.

Batting against this good pace didn't help against the bowlers though, as all but 1 of the bowlers were slower than this, especially the spinner who must have been bowling about 35mph, and i could not hit the thing as it was so slow. I played a few decent leg-glances, one of which i walked across my stumps and whipped a very full ball away with good power and timing. I should have played more defensively though, and tried to assert myself abit too much.

Once i'd got my pads off I returned to my bowling mark and bowled load more deliveries. There was a new guy who's just joined and he came into bad after me, so I gave him a good welcome, clean bowling him in his first delivery with a peach of a yorker. I did generally bowl good lengths and a very good line, with very few balls going wide.

Overall, a very good net session, and i've also been asked to play on Saturday aswell as Sunday, so i'll probably be bowling upwards of 14 overs this weekend, rain permitting of course. It's not looking promising at the moment though. Hopefully it'll pick up by tommorow.

i know how frustrating it is when you get stuck and slog out. keep going. you'll get to the elusive double figure mark soon.

Re: King Pietersen's Blog- Updates from weekend match and net session

Sunday 8th of June- Another game, another comprehensive win

Sunday saw me compete in yet another B Team game at home after rain flooded the oppositions pitch. Our pitch was fairly wet aswell, but the hot conditions meant that bowling first would aid the team best. We won the toss and decided to field first once again, a good move. I was once again asked to open the bowling, and was keen to impress the 3 A Team players who had joined the team for the game.

I started OK, having a few balls edged behind and having the openers jump around in their crease, and got very close to a wicket. I was set to bowl 6 overs on the spin, but at the end of my 6th over I produced an absolute jaffer, swinging away pitching and moving off the seam. This led the captain to give me another 2 overs, so another 8 over spell. I decided i'd start to try and mix it up in this game aswell, implementing the off-cutter that i've been working on in the nets, and I managed to get one to really cut in and almost decieve the batsman. Only 1 really deviated off the pitch though, so it could do with abit more work I feel.

I ended up with decent figures of 8 overs, 0 maidens, 0-21. Pretty good economy and was unlucky not to pick up a wicket. After a slow start in the wickets column, we suddenly picked up, and started taking wickets at regular intervals, eventually bowling the opposition out for a measly 65.

This gave us the chance at another small run chase, one that we managed to knock off with some ease. The shot of the day was played aswell, by one of the A team players, getting forward and smashing one of their medium pacers straight back over his head, over the trees and into the field behind for a massive 6, the biggest shot i've ever seen in person, was a huge hit. We ended up knocking the runs off with 8 wickets in hand, and pleasingly I was put up to bat at 6 which was a surprise.

Thursday 12th of June- Another decent net session

Last night I had another net session, and one that proved successful once more. I again decided to get padded up early, so didn't really bowl much at the start, but i managed to pick up a wicket early on. The batting went surprisingly well again, we only had 1 net tonight, so we got 15 minutes against the bowlers, and I batted the best i've ever batted. With the "coach" standing behind the net I tried to make sure I impressed, and I really did.

I started off confidentally with a gorgeous drive, taking a good stride down the wicket and smashing the bowler down the ground, along the ground. Then one of the quicker bowlers decided to go round the wicket and I struggled with his first 2 deliveries, just poking at them outside the off stump, but third delivery i got forward and drove him down the ground. I also played a cracking powerful sweep along the ground against one of the spinners, which the coach was very impressed with, just a shame I tried the same shot next ball and looked a ******** ;p.

I managed to not only keep my wicket in tact for the 15 minutes, but also play some lovely shots, and impress everyone. The captain for my game on Saturday (rain permitting) was obviously impressed as he said that I could be batting at 4 or 5 in the academy team, so I finally have a chance to get some runs under my belt. If i play like I did in the net i'll certainly pick up some runs.

My bowling wasn't too impressive after this stage though, only picking up 1 further wicket, a clean bowled, but a knock to my foot when batting, trying a Pietersen-esque leg-glance meant I was a little restricted in my running, an injury that annoyingly still hurts this morning, but I'll be fine by tommorow, or so I hope anyway. Overall, a top net session and my batting continues to develop, i took a much more sensible approach in this net session as recently i've just been trying to slog, which helps nothing.

Yeah the same with me when struggled to score a hundred when got an opportunity last season batting at the top,scores came easily including a hundred.
When u get an opportunity to bat at the top order;understand ur batting responsibility;talk with ur captain and be patient while batting and try to rotate the strike.
Runs will come easily :)

Saturday 14th June- An academy game and a chance for a bat

Saturday came, I got to the game and was told by the captain we were batting first and I was in to bat at 4. I was chuffed, my hard work at nets has finally paid off and i've got a chance to bat some overs and get some runs under my belt.

My chance to bat finally came after about 16 overs, with the score at about 45-2. I was in facing a medium pacer to start, but took a couple of overs to get off the mark, but eventually did with a nice sweep shot off the spinner. Next over i played an aerial straight drive for 2 to take my score to 3, next ball was short and wide and I latched on and played a McCullum-esque aerial cut shot, which raced for four, after flying over point's head.

I then started to struggle to find the gaps, and was getting frustrated with the ball coming off the middle and carrying straight to fielders. I was becoming increasingly annoyed stuck on 9, so tried to hit out, with the ball only carrying as far as a deep-ish mid on, gone for 9. I was annoyed that i'd got out before reaching double figures, but was pleased with my performance, was nice to get some time in the middle, and some runs, to up my average to 4 for the season :p. Just hope i get a go in a proper B Team game, and not an academy.

We finished off setting them around 140 to win, and they knocked it off with ease, with 3 of the top 4 slogging away. I only bowled 4 overs, but was slogged around, finishing with figures of 4 overs, 0 maidens, 1-38. First time i'd gone at over 5 an over all season. I just couldn't get the ball full enough, and also had 2 catches dropped off my bowling, so it could have been closer if the catches were taken.

Overall, a positive performance in the batting, just a shame i got slogged around and we lost. Was nice to get some runs, and impress my captain with my stroke play. Just need to find the gaps in my next innings, and make some real runs. If the ball had found the gap with all of my shots i'd have probably have got about 30, but i'm happy with 9, i did a job for the team.

Been a long time since my last entry, so thought i should fill you in with the details of today's game. Another for the B Team, and started the game joint leading wicket taker with another lad 1 wicket behind me and joint leader. We won the toss and batted first, we started well, but the long tail was our downfall as we ended up skittled out for 123 in 39.1 overs.

Trying to defend 123 wasn't going to be easy, but a decent opening spell from the 2 openers helped things. I came on after the drinks break in the 20th over. First over went for 4, with the ball coming out surprisingly well considering I hadn't played for 3-4 weeks prior to the game with a back injury and general busy-ness. I continued to improve, and build up the pace, but was continually frustrated about failing to take a wicket. As they got closer to the hundred mark I clean bowled their best batsman, only for the umpire to signal a no ball. Gutted.

This was turning out to be my best spell of the season, I was running in, sticking the ball down there at decent pace, and good accuracy. Then in my 7th over off the reel (felt like I could go on bowling for days after the Red Bull at the interval :D) I finally struck. The new batsman starting way too far into his stumps, so I duly delivered the full straight one, and got him plum LBW, to go back to joint leading wicket taker.

By the time I got my breakthrough they'd already reached 120, a good first over from one of the younger lads, resulted in them needing 1 run off my over to win, it took them 3 balls, with the guy who I bowled off a no ball hitting the winning run, finishing the game 42*.

It was a pretty gutting end to the game, I should have had 3-4 wickets in the game, but still finished with respectable figures of 8.3 overs, 1-25. The best spell I'd bowled all season, and if I can continue the form into the next 2 games I should hopefully end the season with a decent haul of wickets, and hopefully the Leading Wicket Taker trophy :D. Not bad for my 2nd season of club cricket.

i know how frustrating it is when you get stuck and slog out. keep going. you'll get to the elusive double figure mark soon.

Nice! Although I think there are areas where you can improve and I believe you realize that yourself (such as that no-ball mistake). You never know what the result would've been had your foot been behind the line. A good performance nonetheless!

Yeah the same with me when struggled to score a hundred when got an opportunity last season batting at the top,scores came easily including a hundred.
When u get an opportunity to bat at the top order;understand ur batting responsibility;talk with ur captain and be patient while batting and try to rotate the strike.
Runs will come easily :)

Thanks alot, it was the only no ball I bowled in 8.3 overs as well, was an absoloute jaffer. Started on middle-leg and seamed and hit off-stump out of the ground. Gutting. Really thought it wasn't going to be my day, catches weren't carrying, misfields off my bowling, balls keeping low and being kept out. Glad I got the wicket though, worked the new batter out perfectly, he had a middle and off guard ffs, perfect LBW candidate.

Been a long time since my last entry, so thought i should fill you in with the details of today's game. Another for the B Team, and started the game joint leading wicket taker with another lad 1 wicket behind me and joint leader. We won the toss and batted first, we started well, but the long tail was our downfall as we ended up skittled out for 123 in 39.1 overs.

Trying to defend 123 wasn't going to be easy, but a decent opening spell from the 2 openers helped things. I came on after the drinks break in the 20th over. First over went for 4, with the ball coming out surprisingly well considering I hadn't played for 3-4 weeks prior to the game with a back injury and general busy-ness. I continued to improve, and build up the pace, but was continually frustrated about failing to take a wicket. As they got closer to the hundred mark I clean bowled their best batsman, only for the umpire to signal a no ball. Gutted.

This was turning out to be my best spell of the season, I was running in, sticking the ball down there at decent pace, and good accuracy. Then in my 7th over off the reel (felt like I could go on bowling for days after the Red Bull at the interval :D) I finally struck. The new batsman starting way too far into his stumps, so I duly delivered the full straight one, and got him plum LBW, to go back to joint leading wicket taker.

By the time I got my breakthrough they'd already reached 120, a good first over from one of the younger lads, resulted in them needing 1 run off my over to win, it took them 3 balls, with the guy who I bowled off a no ball hitting the winning run, finishing the game 42*.

It was a pretty gutting end to the game, I should have had 3-4 wickets in the game, but still finished with respectable figures of 8.3 overs, 1-25. The best spell I'd bowled all season, and if I can continue the form into the next 2 games I should hopefully end the season with a decent haul of wickets, and hopefully the Leading Wicket Taker trophy :D. Not bad for my 2nd season of club cricket.

I was bowling to a chap earlier in the season that took an off-stump guard :eek:. Here's me thinking "LBW here I come". I hit him on the pads about 5 times .... and nothing. Bloody non-neutral umpires. Would have been my first 5-for too. Should have gone around the wicket and bowled him behind his legs probably, ah well.

Nice! Although I think there are areas where you can improve and I believe you realize that yourself (such as that no-ball mistake). You never know what the result would've been had your foot been behind the line. A good performance nonetheless!

We have non-neutral umpires as well, but the delivery was so full, and so plum that he was just out, even a blind man would have given that out. :p.

Was looking at my season stats just for the main team I've played for, the B Team, ignoring the stats from the academy games where tbh I just try and get it down there as quickly as possible :p. Anyway, these are my season stats in league cricket this year:

Overs: 51.3
Maidens: 2
Runs: 200
Wickets: 11
Best Figures: 4/23
Economy: 3.88
Strike Rate: 28.09
Average: 18.18

This compares with my stats last year:
Overs: 25
Runs: 146
Wickets: 5
Best bowling; 3/35
Economy: 5.84
Strike Rate: 30
Average: 29.2

As you can see, I've improved on every front, apart from maidens. Double the amount of wickets, a far better economy rate (3.88 is pretty good for 40 over cricket), Far better average, better strike rate, and better best bowling figures. The comparison there shows that there's been a definite improvement this season. It's not only my figures that have improved either, my pace is better, my accuracy is better, the amount of wides has decreased, the amount of full tosses has massively decreased, I just feel more comfortable bowling now. Also, I now want to bowl, I enjoy bowling overs as I don't get carted around the place, and I'm picking up wickets. Really looking forward to next season now, going to make sure I'm even fitter and even stronger.

Thanks alot, it was the only no ball I bowled in 8.3 overs as well, was an absoloute jaffer. Started on middle-leg and seamed and hit off-stump out of the ground. Gutting. Really thought it wasn't going to be my day, catches weren't carrying, misfields off my bowling, balls keeping low and being kept out. Glad I got the wicket though, worked the new batter out perfectly, he had a middle and off guard ffs, perfect LBW candidate.

Thought I'd update this with a sort of end of season look at my stats, then an update from my first 2 weeks of Winter Nets. Here goes.

General Update

Alreet, thought I may as well update this, as I've just made a very nice discovery, and now have a date in my diary to look forward to . Last season went well, when I had good rhythm I was bowling as fast and as accurately as anyone in the club, and I got my swing back, which I was very chuffed with. I managed to challenge right up to the last game for leading wicket taker for the team I play for, the B Team, and now realise that if it wasn't for a back injury keeping me out of action for 3 weeks I would have finished top of the wicket taker list.

I just struggled to regain that rhythm after the back injury, and was massively down on pace in the last game of the season, and just sort of letting the ball go and hoping it goes in the right place. My stats were decent though, and here they are:

Matches: 16
Overs: 94.3
Maidens: 3
Runs: 436
Wickets: 18
Best Bowling: 4/23
Economy: 4.61
Strike Rate: 31.5
Average: 24.22

Update- Winter Nets Have Started

Well, seeing as Winter Nets have started, thought I may as well update this thread. Been a long time since I last played properly, and I was actually quite excited to be playing some cricket again, and had been waiting for Winter Nets to start for a long time. First session was 2 weeks ago, and it was the typical first winter net session. I struggled to cope with the new ball's ridiculous swing indoors, no matter which way I angled my wrist, or the seam it seemed to swing the other way, and I just couldn't get my line right at all. I didn't bowl badly, just not as straight as I wanted to. I did bowl 1 delivery that sticks in my mind though, a sharp bouncer. I put everything into it and really banged it in short, and it got up nice and high, and hit the batsman on the shoulder. Good times :p.

Then to last Sunday, and I felt my rhythm coming back. I've not been able to get up any real pace, as we only get 4-5 pace run-ups in doors, but I was still easily one of the quickest there, and my accuracy was far, far better. I actually managed to pick up a few very good wickets as well. I got the First XI captain out twice with pearlers. I'd been told last year how to bowl to him, full and on his legs, so thats what I did, and after setting him up with a wideish one, I threw in the yorker, and got it spot on. It apparently started to swing away before nipping back in and taking out leg =D Then next ball to him I dug it in, got him jumping, and got the ball up to his ribs, before the ball after attempting another yorker, and to my amazement got it spot on again, taking out leg-stump once more, this time just purely swinging in. Loved it, certainly a good way to make a good impression on the 1st XI captain :D

Batting's been ok as well, I've been particularly strong square of the wicket on the off-side, especially with the cut. I've been watching alot of Brendon McCullum, and have copied his technique for the cut, and it seems to be working, and is definitely one of my most consistent and poweful shots. I'm still good straight down the ground when they pitch the ball up as well, but have had abit of a problem with straight slightly back of a length deliveries which I seem to be playing too early and with hard hands, and just scooping the ball straight back to the bowler, I actually bat better the faster the bowling, I hate facing people who look like they're going to be fast, but end up just throwing it down incredibly slowly, just something I've got to work on. Haven't got the leg glance going yet either, keep turning my wrists too early once more, and hitting it off the back, not good. Been batting OK though, is just the bat itself that's playing up, Woodworm's are shite.

Looking forward to next Sunday =D

Just Abit Of Extra Info

Just thought that I'd also mention that I've paid to attend one of Ian Pont's Fast Bowling Masterclass sessions. Cost me £75, but if he can help me work on a few things, get abit of extra pace and accuracy, then it's all worthwhile. I've been wanting to get some proper coaching for a while actually, as my first 2 seasons have all been self taught. I've had a few tips from guys at my club, but nothing worth shouting about, just been down to watching videos and watching alot of cricket and copying what I see and read. Hopefully Ian'll be able to get some extra pace out of me. I think I know what I've got to work on, my run-up and momentum into the crease, plus improving my follow through, although that has improved in recent times. Really looking forward to it, roll on April 9th =D

I was bowling to a chap earlier in the season that took an off-stump guard :eek:. Here's me thinking "LBW here I come". I hit him on the pads about 5 times .... and nothing. Bloody non-neutral umpires. Would have been my first 5-for too. Should have gone around the wicket and bowled him behind his legs probably, ah well.

Nice stuff, Dan. It's always hard at the start of the season. Getting rid of the rustiness and getting yourself back into form.

All the best for the season.

We have non-neutral umpires as well, but the delivery was so full, and so plum that he was just out, even a blind man would have given that out. :p.

Was looking at my season stats just for the main team I've played for, the B Team, ignoring the stats from the academy games where tbh I just try and get it down there as quickly as possible :p. Anyway, these are my season stats in league cricket this year:

Overs: 51.3
Runs: 200
Wickets: 11
Best Figures: 4/23
Economy: 3.88
Strike Rate: 28.09
Average: 18.18

This compares with my stats last year:
Overs: 25
Runs: 146
Wickets: 5
Best bowling; 3/35
Economy: 5.84
Strike Rate: 30
Average: 29.2

As you can see, I've improved on every front, apart from maidens. Double the amount of wickets, a far better economy rate (3.88 is pretty good for 40 over cricket), Far better average, better strike rate, and better best bowling figures. The comparison there shows that there's been a definite improvement this season. It's not only my figures that have improved either, my pace is better, my accuracy is better, the amount of wides has decreased, the amount of full tosses has massively decreased, I just feel more comfortable bowling now. Also, I now want to bowl, I enjoy bowling overs as I don't get carted around the place, and I'm picking up wickets. Really looking forward to next season now, going to make sure I'm even fitter and even stronger.

Re: King Pietersen's Blog

Update- Another Week of Winter Nets

Had another net session last night, and it was another pretty good one. Started off with us 4 quicker guys bowling in 1 net with a black square out for us to aim the ball into. I apparently failed to get the ball in the box once, which is rubbish, as I bowled better than the other 3 easily. They were sticking it in the box, but getting spanked, I was bowling slightly back of a length, getting the batsman hopping around and getting the ball up nicely into the mid-rift area.

I seem to be consistently swinging the ball as well, the ball seems to be coming out quite nicely in the winter nets. I was probably the fastest bowler out there last night, and actually seemed faster than the lad that plays for Suffolk, so good signs. I also picked up another wicket last night, with another of those swinging yorkers that I seem to be developing, this time to the lad that plays for Suffolk, so I was delighted with that, bowled very nicely.

Also managed to get abit of a bat with the new willow, seemed to go alright. Played a couple of strokes, but was just basically defending to knock the bat in. Played 1 shot of note where I walked down the wicket McCullum style and flicked the ball through mid-wicket sort of area. Changing my back-lift to over off-stump seemed to work, as the ball came off the middle, as opposed to the back. Went well, but didn't have a great deal of time as we've only been getting hour long sessions. Hoping we get another hour and a half session next week, they're far better, as you get more bowling and batting.

Just really looking forward to my session with Ian Pont on the 9th of April now. Looking forward to having a bowl on the speed gun to see how quick I am. I think with a decent run-up and with Ian's help I could easily be bowling 80mph. Off a 3-4 step run-up in winter nets it's coming out faster than it was off 8-10 paces last season, so I'm pretty hopeful of bowling genuinely fast next season. Looking forward to it =D

Thought I'd update this with a sort of end of season look at my stats, then an update from my first 2 weeks of Winter Nets. Here goes.

General Update

Alreet, thought I may as well update this, as I've just made a very nice discovery, and now have a date in my diary to look forward to . Last season went well, when I had good rhythm I was bowling as fast and as accurately as anyone in the club, and I got my swing back, which I was very chuffed with. I managed to challenge right up to the last game for leading wicket taker for the team I play for, the B Team, and now realise that if it wasn't for a back injury keeping me out of action for 3 weeks I would have finished top of the wicket taker list.

I just struggled to regain that rhythm after the back injury, and was massively down on pace in the last game of the season, and just sort of letting the ball go and hoping it goes in the right place. My stats were decent though, and here they are:

Matches: 16
Overs: 94.3
Maidens: 3
Runs: 436
Wickets: 18
Best Bowling: 4/23
Economy: 4.61
Strike Rate: 31.5
Average: 24.22

Update- Winter Nets Have Started

Well, seeing as Winter Nets have started, thought I may as well update this thread. Been a long time since I last played properly, and I was actually quite excited to be playing some cricket again, and had been waiting for Winter Nets to start for a long time. First session was 2 weeks ago, and it was the typical first winter net session. I struggled to cope with the new ball's ridiculous swing indoors, no matter which way I angled my wrist, or the seam it seemed to swing the other way, and I just couldn't get my line right at all. I didn't bowl badly, just not as straight as I wanted to. I did bowl 1 delivery that sticks in my mind though, a sharp bouncer. I put everything into it and really banged it in short, and it got up nice and high, and hit the batsman on the shoulder. Good times :p.

Then to last Sunday, and I felt my rhythm coming back. I've not been able to get up any real pace, as we only get 4-5 pace run-ups in doors, but I was still easily one of the quickest there, and my accuracy was far, far better. I actually managed to pick up a few very good wickets as well. I got the First XI captain out twice with pearlers. I'd been told last year how to bowl to him, full and on his legs, so thats what I did, and after setting him up with a wideish one, I threw in the yorker, and got it spot on. It apparently started to swing away before nipping back in and taking out leg =D Then next ball to him I dug it in, got him jumping, and got the ball up to his ribs, before the ball after attempting another yorker, and to my amazement got it spot on again, taking out leg-stump once more, this time just purely swinging in. Loved it, certainly a good way to make a good impression on the 1st XI captain :D

Batting's been ok as well, I've been particularly strong square of the wicket on the off-side, especially with the cut. I've been watching alot of Brendon McCullum, and have copied his technique for the cut, and it seems to be working, and is definitely one of my most consistent and poweful shots. I'm still good straight down the ground when they pitch the ball up as well, but have had abit of a problem with straight slightly back of a length deliveries which I seem to be playing too early and with hard hands, and just scooping the ball straight back to the bowler, I actually bat better the faster the bowling, I hate facing people who look like they're going to be fast, but end up just throwing it down incredibly slowly, just something I've got to work on. Haven't got the leg glance going yet either, keep turning my wrists too early once more, and hitting it off the back, not good. Been batting OK though, is just the bat itself that's playing up, Woodworm's are shite.

Looking forward to next Sunday =D

Just Abit Of Extra Info

Just thought that I'd also mention that I've paid to attend one of Ian Pont's Fast Bowling Masterclass sessions. Cost me £75, but if he can help me work on a few things, get abit of extra pace and accuracy, then it's all worthwhile. I've been wanting to get some proper coaching for a while actually, as my first 2 seasons have all been self taught. I've had a few tips from guys at my club, but nothing worth shouting about, just been down to watching videos and watching alot of cricket and copying what I see and read. Hopefully Ian'll be able to get some extra pace out of me. I think I know what I've got to work on, my run-up and momentum into the crease, plus improving my follow through, although that has improved in recent times. Really looking forward to it, roll on April 9th =D

Back