Lack of Womens Test Cricket

mas cambios

Lack of Womens Test Cricket

Having seen this article

Edwards accepts the increasing focus on one-day cricket is seeing the women's game move further away from the Test format.

"Test matches are still relevant for England but a lot of other teams want to put their energy into the one-day game, rightly or wrongly," said the Kent player.

England coach Mark Dobson agreed: "New Zealand wouldn't play a Test match against us last summer and Australia only wanted to play one.

"It's the way other countries are going now and Test cricket just isn't as popular."

I've watched bits of the last few series in the UK (vs NZ, India and Aus) and have to say that the standard isn't too bad and it makes for an entertaining day out. However, I've never been to anything longer than a 50 over match and wonder if if a test match would how my attention as much as it does in the men's game.

It led me to wonder whether women's cricket needs test matches or if they should concentrate on the shorter forms of the game?

Re: Lack of Womens Test Cricket

Hmm, I would reckon because I don't think too many people would watch 5 days of them, I'm sorry to say, they should be allowed test cricket but if it's not worth the investment, then I dunno...

It's really bad, Australian state womens crickets don't get paid, at all. I know because I know a Vic Spirit rising star and she's played a state match :D

I think England have the right idea in that they have moved the games to more intimate venues over the past few years. It helps to create a better atmosphere.

They will also trial the idea of playing the women's twenty20 before the men's, or so I believe.

I really don't think women should play cricket. It just doesn't seem right to me, hopefully the game is on the decline.

Yeh, they have as much right to as men do, and they don't get paid until international level so they have as much right to as any of us playing club cricket.

Back