Leg Side Play

CricBoy

Leg Side Play

I am a master on the off-side but I can't put off balls on the leg-side (except for slogging). Most of the times when I leg glance the ball it goes straight to the fielder at ankle height. I also cannot play the on-drive (powerful) without the ball going in the air (again ankle height). Can anyone help?

Re: Leg Side Play

Are you looking for advice? If you are i hope somebody has some as i alway miss it and get appealed against. Normally not out but id like to be able to hit it more often.

Right dont worry, if im not in good form, or in a decent positive mind, leg side is my death.

Firstly, your head HAS to be in line with the ball, your nose has to be practically level with the balls path, when you have this, you should have a nice balanced body, therefore you aren't gunna fall to one side and flick it in the air.

Right, now for the shot, top hand comes into the game here, pushing the ball down, away from your body and onto the ground, leg glances are played just as i mentioned.

Other shots like the on-drive, this being argueably one of the hardest shots to play, needs balance and a lot of eye-hand co-ordination, you need to pick the ball, and have a rough guess at its hieght, your get it wrong, you'll spoon it, edge it, or get rapped on the pad, or worse, knuckles. Once you have all this its time to hit it, you need to imagine your pushing someone that way, its that kind of motion, if needs be ill post some pic's. As i said, its one of the hardest shots to master.

To have a go, grab a ball, a sock, some string and a washing line, and refer to Almost_Austwicks thread on the sock drill, and practise your shots that way :)

I hope i have been of some use to you.

I have a bit of a open stance so that I can play on the leg side. If you are too side on then it will restrict your leg side play.

Mike111 said:
I have a bit of a open stance so that I can play on the leg side. If you are too side on then it will restrict your leg side play.

That is an interesting point, an open stance will help drivers of the ball to play on the leg side and perform some elequant strokes. However, with a closed stance, wristy leg strokes are still possible.

Back